Author Topic: Need some tips on bobbing my bed  (Read 1802 times)

dgrant71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 236
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
Need some tips on bobbing my bed
« on: May 10, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
I basically need some tips on bobbing my bed on a 89 yota ext cab, how much to cut out of the bed, how to get the line straight, what to use to cut the bed, how to weld the bed back perfect, also will the bed still be strong enough to stand on the tail gate once completed? Thank you

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
Re: Need some tips on bobbing my bed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:53:56 PM »
I basically need some tips on bobbing my bed on a 89 yota ext cab, how much to cut out of the bed, how to get the line straight, what to use to cut the bed, how to weld the bed back perfect, also will the bed still be strong enough to stand on the tail gate once completed? Thank you

first of all you need to deciede what look your goin for you can cut any where from 1 to 16 i took 16 out of my 90 reg cab i wacked the frame right behind the skakels and welded in the crossbar from a tow package for the rear cross member the factory roll pan sits right infront of asin towards the cab of the tow package made my bed almost a perfect square as for the straight line measure in 1/2 inch or so from the taillight cutout in about 3 dif places then either take a thin piece of straight metal and clamp it top and bottom while lined ip with yur marks or run tape if you can get a straight line the metal is best  i just used a angle grinder with a cut off wheel and a sawzall sheet metal shears would be awsome but not nessassary then make ur second line the same way as the first but do it before you cut the first line so its straight  when you weld it tack it in place then just start tackn away jump around and dont let the metal heat up or it will warp if you have access to welding tape use it to keep the heat from spreading as for stregnth i welded the pass side almost complete and only a few tacks on the drivers side didnt even do any in the bed floor and i can stand or even jump on my tailgate it holds pretty good o and i used a 110v mig pack with fluxcore wire hope tthis helps :thumbs:   goodluck
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

dgrant71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:33:07 PM »
Awesome!! Thanks for the input, helps out alot!!!

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »
yep not a problem post up some pics of the process
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

dgrant71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:16:32 PM »
Will do, probably about a month before I do it though..

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »
I bobbed 11" out of my 89's bed. it still leaves enough to be useable as a bed and looks clean IMO. Just be careful when you do the cuts. I really screwed mine up and its a PITA to weld it back together now. I marked off the cuts with painters tape and followed the lines but kept switching tools so the cuts came out crooked.

I also have almost fully welded teh pass side and only tacked the driver side and then laid a bead where I could on the bed floor and I tyhink it will be strong enough.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS