Author Topic: damn truck runs crappy, alt or reg  (Read 3190 times)

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
damn truck runs crappy, alt or reg
« on: Apr 30, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »
83 toyota pickup, 22r wiring harness, 20r, 22r distributor.

the whole alternator harness has been rewired and i mounted a motor craft 2 bbl carburetor off a ford on my motor to solve what i thought was carb problems, my weber ran like crap i thought...

anyways the truck runs rough like it's running on 3 cylinders sometimes or something, just a choppy idle and acceleration.

i pull the positive cable and the motor dies, like a bad alternator... but the alt is new and the battery stays fully charged, so i replaced my crappy taped together voltage regulator with a used one from the bone yard, it ran GREAT after that the couple times i drove it and now it's just running choppy again.. like the Volt Reg went out again, so i went and bought another one hoping to solve the problem, i still need to put the new one on but what else could be causing this truck to run crappy.. i just wanna go wheeling and camping so bad! but can't stand driving a half as$ed running truck.

help please guys. thank you  :beerchug:

i'll make sure and post if the new regulator solves the problem.. i'm just a terrible electrician, wiring scares me

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010, 08:43:37 PM by 79coyotefrg »
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: damn truck is like driving a tractor.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »
1st thing,
 get rid of the ford carb :shake:

2  just because the alternator is new doesnt mean its good,  most parts store alternators are cleaned up and sometimes thats all they did.

get a TOYOTA alt or replace them till you find a good one

3  is the regulator and Alternator specific to the year of the truck? that means if its a 83 truck do you have an 83 alternator and an 83 regulator???
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
Re: damn truck runs crappy, alt or reg
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2010, 11:54:26 PM »
the ford carb runs awesome. much better than the weber ever did, and the ford motorcraft are cheap and dependable carbs as well. yes the alternator is new and for an 83 toyota, the battery is always fully charged, and the first regulator was off an 85 carbureted.. went out, replaced it with a used regulator out of a 83 that had a 20r and a 4 speed and then it started running crappy so i bought a new regulator for a 83 toyota with a 22r wiring harness.

my truck has the "oval plug" regulator.
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2010, 11:55:30 PM »
heres a finished pic with the ford carb, just thought i'd share  :yesnod:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:18:13 AM »
:haha:  I have at least a few of those fuel pumps laying around.  I don't trust them any further than I can throw them.  Carry a spare  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »
ran good for about a year now.

your talkin about the good ol' faucet fuel pump? haha ya it's the only one i could find that would push between 2-4 pounds to my weber (which i hated)

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »
replaced the voltage regulator, fixed an alternator wire that mysterically got cut and was grounding to the frame, replaced the crappy coil wire that had terrible contact with the distributor, double checked the timing, tuned the carb, and even had the alternator tested

still misses really bad and runs choppy as hell  :shake_head: :thumbdown: :snare:

broke down and called my mechanic, he said the fuel pump may have lost it's pressure or something is wrong in the ignition somewhere cause the truck acts like it has erratic unconstant spark... who knows i'm at my whit's dealing with this retarded problem

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »
Why do you have just one vacuum line to the dizzy?
Also I bought a fuel pump from autozone and mounted close to the gas tank. Maybe your fuel pump is better off pushing fuel then sucking fuel.
I have a 20R and bought the stock replacement electric fuel pump $79. I also invested in a adjustable fuel regulator. I run 1.5 psi on the street and 1 psi on the trail.

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:38:50 PM »
it's a 22r dizzy on a 20r, i was told the 20r dizzy wouldn't work with the 22r coil. (truck originally had a 22r)

The truck ran great all winter, and now summer hits, time for fun, and it begins this.

i have the one vacuum line (on the dizzy closest to the radiator) running to the one vacuum port on the motor craft ford carburetor. the other one plugged but it seemed to run fine before. i originally had a weber 32/36 but hated it and it's unconstant tuning with our constant temperature change, so i traded it for a new gun and ammo.

i'm taking it to my mechanic this week, he is gonna test the fuel pressure for the pump. my fuel pump is mounted on the passenger fender. it's a 2-3.5 psi i believe. should be about right for a 350 CFM carb... if it's working properly..

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
I would personally move the fuel pump to the rear before taking it in.
Have you checked or messed with the choke on it?
I have never messed with another aftermarket carb. My little 20R carb has served me well for the most part.
Good luck on finding the problem.

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »
ya i swapped the choke to a manual choke because my truck already had the choke cable ran from my weber, the choke is open so i don't believe that's the problem... i might try moving the fuel pump to see what happens, or else i know where theres a round fender i can grab the 20r carb off and say screw trying to get more power out of my 20r of FURY

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 01:33:36 AM »
Why do you have just one vacuum line to the dizzy?
Also I bought a fuel pump from autozone and mounted close to the gas tank. Maybe your fuel pump is better off pushing fuel then sucking fuel.

Those pumps are definately a pusher, not a puller, and are happier by the tank.  I moved mine into the engine bay just to make replacement easier.  I've had to replace one on the side of the road once when it was mounted by the tank, it's a pita in the day but it was dark.  Haven't had an issue yet, but it's definately louder, which is typically a sign with these pumps that they're having to work harder.  I have a couple holley reds, just need to rebuild them and install a regulator and put one on and throw the other in a bag behind the seat.

As for the one vaccuum line, that's all I have on my hybrid and it works fine.  I only have vaccuum advance and brake booster, no other vaccuum lines.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
ya the 20 really isn't a vacuum ran motor.

i'm gona move my fuel pump.. it definitly is pretty loud, wouldn't suprise me one bit if it was half wore out by now so maybe i should pick another one up and mount it right, and throw the one i have now in a bag behind the seat for a back up

.... or just do what i did 2 years ago and fill the washer fluid tank with fuel and run the out hose into the top of my carb... worked pretty well.. for a redneck driving 14 miles home  :cheese: :driving: