Author Topic: Best Antenna??  (Read 8573 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Best Antenna??
« on: Dec 09, 2004, 09:03:37 PM »
opinions?  I am thinking about getting a cb antenna with some of my christmas money  :yupyup:  and i want to know the best kind i can get.

what is the difference between a whip antenna and such??
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

hacksaw

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Oct '04
  • BOOMER SOONER!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Antenna??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2004, 04:26:38 AM »
Most antennas now days are good, you have to figure out if it is going to be mounted to the truck or magnet.  Magnet offers the easy flexability of an easy install.  I have ran the magnet mount for a long time and have had very good luck.  Check out Willson antennas.  They offer great gains on TX and RX over most other magnet type.  The Firestick 2 is yet another great antenna if you are going to mount your antenna somewhere.  Problem is that if you do not use a spring and go  wheeling you may break it off.  Just remember, find an antenna that will work in the 11 meter range (40 channel CB frequencys) and get the SWR as low as you can on channel 1 and 40.  If you match channel 1 and 40 then you have tuned that antenna to work all across the 11 meter band. 1 through 40.  Make sure you read the instructions and try to find a good SWR meter.  You do not want the SWR to be higher than 1.5 at both ends.  Type in Keyword setting SWR and read about it if you do not know how.  Get a good idea of what you are doing before you start.  The life of the radio will depend on it.  See ya Hacksaw
Bone stock 94 Runner.  3VZE, 4x4, 5 speed.  204K miles and counting------96 Runner Limited 4x4, 3.4L Automatic, 144K miles and going strong!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:29:08 AM »
Thanks for the info hack- :disturbed:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2004, 06:21:27 PM »
Your antennnae selection all depends on the radio you are running!  Do you want to reach out or are you just comcerned about 300 yards ahead?!?!  Where I live (Tillamook, Oregon) we all have good quality or high end radios, due to mountainous canyons, (uniden/radio shack or cobra ultra classic, i know ther big, but?) with firestick or the old metal bull whip antennae's.  Most love the bull whip's for lot's of reason's, but mostly due to there endless uses!  We run our rigs out at sandlake, so we just clip a flag on them for day running, and night we run wires up to the top, to power a light for night running!  And if ya want to reach out, find a electronics wizard, or talk to a old trucker!  about turning up the power to tx & rx.  to tune in your radio and ant. we go to our local radio shack, and they will tune them in for us for free!!??  Where are you mounting your ant and the size length of ant will affect your signal.  if you run a short ant behind the cab you won't be able to reach out in front of you very clearly. If you want to run dual ant, they must be at least 6 feet apart!  If ya are wondering we grew up on cb radios around here!! :beerchug:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17568
  • Male Posts: 1,022
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2004, 06:35:06 PM »
i've had good luck with fire-sticks. i'm not a fan of whips.

when i rolled my rig my fire-stick snapped. i glued it back together with epoxy and slid a piece of pvc pipe over it for strength. still works to this day.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »
I mount mine inside the bed rail, to protect the wiring, at the tailgate, so not to whack at the cab!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:35:02 AM »
i just got a big white one from a friend whose grandpa was a trucker! i put it on my roof and now my truck has a clearance of at least 16 feet! :) i really like going through drive-throughs and hearing the antenna hit the clearance signs! it's never popped off (it's a magnetic mount) and it can bend almost flat without breaking!
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 05:10:50 PM by Mega Mormon »
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

agrub22re

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »
go with a wilson 1000 great ant kc2jmu

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2007, 11:20:23 PM »
I have used both magnet mounts & solid mounts. I loaned a magnet mount to a friend & we went to Hollister. He didn't have a bed on his truck & a tree branch nocked it off the cab & the cable got caught in the driveline & ripped the cable out of the mount  :thumbdown: Bought another magnet mount & went to Pismo Beach. Got a little bumpy & it fell off & I ran it over with the back tire & ripped that cable out too  :smack: Now I have a whip antenna cause I'm going to run a linear amp to get my signal out further  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

lowandwide21

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »
i have a cobra 29 gtl. old thing. i have that and a 102 inch stainless whip mounted just below the rear window on the driver side. i have been able to go out about 30 miles or more on top of a small hill. your local radio shack should have one of these antennas. they run a little over 20 bucks.

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2007, 03:37:04 PM »
36 ft. is aprox. a wavelength at this freqency ,so 102 inch antenna is a true quarter wave so thats your best pick ,they are virtualy indestructable

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2007, 03:09:29 PM »
36 ft. is aprox. a wavelength at this freqency ,so 102 inch antenna is a true quarter wave so thats your best pick ,they are virtualy indestructable
it might be BUT  most OHV parks  and  sponsored trail rides   will not allow  these antenna's

if the truck flops  anyone nearby  can loose a :eye:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crazymoritz97

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 298
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:56:34 PM »
what is a firestick ?? :headscratch: i got some antennas frm a guy who ran trucks and i got some that are whips what is the best one to run on a truck  i'm thinking of putting my antenna on the rollbar or on the back of the bed ?? what do u think on it ??
frm moritz97
Chris g Moritz

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »
a firestik is a fiberglass, wire wrapped tuneable antenna

http://www.firestik.com/
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

crazymoritz97

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 298
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:23:14 PM »
what is the best  fire stick or a whip ??? for wheeling i got both
Chris g Moritz

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:27:10 PM »
both work....i have cracked a few firestiks on the trail..good mounting location and a spring is required....

on the other hand I have taken out car windows that were parked on the side of the street with a whip....some parks dont allow them..and it can be really noisy when trying to park in an enclosed parking garage (think metal scraping on concrete)
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2007, 09:43:45 PM »
I have a quick release I can switch my antennae for each condition,whip or firestick

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2007, 09:55:33 AM »
  I love my whip antenna (102'' stainless) it's reliable and you don't worry about breaking it.  If having it whip around is a problem it can be secured. Just be sure to insulate your form of securement so it won't short the antenna to ground if you should happen to use it.

Plus if you decide to run a linear you don't have to worry about smoking your antenna since it doesn't have any small wire in it, it's solid stainles steel.  :gap:  I've seen enough power run through one of these that it will light up a small flourescent tube when held parrallel to the antenna and then stay lit while pulling it away up to almost 3ft while the mic was keyed up!   :o  That was cool!

The other antennas mentioned here are all good antennas you just need to consider your use and where you'll be wheeling to know what kinda durability you need or desire.

If you solid mount yours get a good heavy duty mounting spring (whip or stick),  If you magna-mount find the strongest one you can get and put it on as flat of a surface as possible for best mounting. I have notice with a magna-mount though that if you try mounting if different locations it may change your SWR reading so try and be consistent with it's mounting location or find a couple or so locations that work well in case you move it for trail conditions.  :yesnod:  Have fun and good luck with your set up  :biggthumpup:!