Author Topic: Need a step by step for removing 1989 4runner top....  (Read 10747 times)

ColtC

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Need a step by step for removing 1989 4runner top....
« on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:38:52 PM »
Need a step by step for removing 1989 4runner top....

herpestes

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
find the FSM for your year

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2010, 03:55:32 PM by herpestes »

04 rocko taco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
there are 14 bolts, each are 12mm. Unbolt them all. disconnect the wire harness in the rear driver corner of the top, and lift off.....
-Chris         
2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
1984 4Runner:
22R-5 speed, lots of goodies, total disregard for body damage.

DFWFO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
REALLY!?! First, sell your 4runner to me, for cheap, then go buy a yellow miata, top goes down by the push of a button, and play your gloria estefan tape(thats right, tape) as loud as you can.

Sorry, couldnt resist
All Im lacking is a flux capacitor and the ability to hit 88.

zj4runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since May '10
  • Natural Born Crawler
    • View Profile
make sure to have someone to help you. Its pretty heavy and awkward.

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
Don't forget to roll down the back window!

tho1981

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
That heavy thing is no joke.  I had an 81 STD with a shell that I could remove by undoing two bolts, and then standing up in the bed with the shell on my back, no problem.  Tried the same idea with my new 87 runner and just about lost all my man parts.  Got a neighbor to help, and it was cake.  A little two heavy and awkward for one.

Kentucky Jelly

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 144
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
I always take mine off myself, but I'm a big guy.  It would definitely be a PITA if I was puny.  Also, the mounting bolts are under the four plastic trim pieces held on by 1,000 philips screws...(if your 4Runner still has them).  When you reinstall the top, don't forget the second bolt from the back on the drivers side, or your rear window wont work.  Installing that bolt activates a safety switch for the rear window motor.

Oh yeah, and I remove all the bolts from outside my 4Runner.  You can get to all the front bolts through the side windows.  Beats trying to squeeze myself into the back seat.
87 4Runner, IFS, 22RE, W56, 33x10.5 KM2's, 4.88's, ARB Rear, Downey Skid, BudBuilt X-member, Home Fab Front and Rear Bumpers, Sliders, MM Winch, A/C OBA, HID Hella 500's, Downey Header + Flowmaster, Fuel Tank Lift, EB Street RV Head, 268c Cam, Supra AFM, Bored and Balanced Bottom End, Long Travel Some Day, More To Come!

boneyard customs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Build it yourself and wheel it !
    • View Profile
Remove all bolts................... get in drive really fast down the freeway or take a really sharp corner doing mmmmm about 80 mph. come one are you serious? Next you will want to know were the Flux Capastor goes!

Cobbtunedsti

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
I've never understood why people post smart remarks.. It's a newbe question in a newbe section!!! Help a guy out!!!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
It's really pretty easy.  Remove all of the bolt that go into the side rails and the back of the cab.  Roll the rear window down and disconnec the connections for the rear wiper and wiper fluid that are located at the drivers rear corner.  If you don't have all identical factory fasteners make sure you put a factory stock one back on the drivers side holes in the side rail.  There is a switch that prevents the rear window from rolling up under the second or third bolt from the back (I think it's the second).  If you put the wrong length screw back in it will either not activate the switch or push it too far and you'll have to pull the interior side panels to reset it.  The top is a little heavy for one person, but really easy if you each grap a side and slide it towards the back.  You might hang up a little at the roll bar, but it's fairly easy to get it to slide past (it may be my fire extinquister that's the issue).  The top has the seal on the bottom of it so store it carefully.  Put the fasteners in a zip lock back and either tape it to the top or put them in the glove box for safe keeping.

Have fun!
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Male Posts: 1,660
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
I've never understood why people post smart remarks.. It's a newbe question in a newbe section!!! Help a guy out!!!
I've never understood why you reply to a year old thread :thumbs:

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
Gotta love them interwebz...  :gap:   :gap:  :gap:
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

THEMAN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Member since Oct '11
  • Opinions are like assholes everyone has one
    • View Profile
I've never understood why you reply to a year old thread :thumbs:

hahaha I was going to agree with the guy.  Actually still do but, it is funny his response was to such an old thread. haha