Author Topic: G54 wont shift  (Read 3051 times)

Sluice Box Hero

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -114
  • Male Posts: 637
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Tell your mom hi, and thank her for last night
    • View Profile
G54 wont shift
« on: Nov 29, 2004, 10:02:17 PM »
i just got my G54 for my manual swap but i cant get it into gear, but, heres the catch:  when i spin the input shafy the output shaft moves as if it were alreast in gear.  there is no oil in the case, so the output spinning is related to the input spinning.  the tranny got bounced around the back of my pickup some, so im thinking that maybe the shift fork got all fawked, and now it feels like its in neutral, but is actually in gear.

what do you all think?

also, where can i find out how to crack the tranny case to see what the damage is?

thanks,
Callen
"You know that feeling right after you take a huge dump? . . . . Awesome"
-Cartman

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: G54 wont shift
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2004, 10:43:34 PM »
It's most likey stuck in 4th (I believe) and reverse. If you reverse fast enough and then slam into a tree/brickwall, the weight of the rod will shift it into a forward gear even while you are still in reverse. This is a common problem with shipping transmissions, so I believe Marlin shifts all transmissions into 1st gear or some gear that is safe to get knocked around in.

Obviously I dont remember what gear it is exactly, so I will chat with Marlin tomorrow and get back to ya.

BigMike 
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Sluice Box Hero [OP]

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2004, 11:00:05 PM »
hey thanks man, thats what i think was happening.  i believe that this thing is in gear already, but its just the shift rod thats in gear and not the shifter and all that.

thanks,
Callen
-Cartman

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:54:04 AM »
question, why did you put in a G series tranny? 

i may be wrong here... but isn't there NO dual t-cases for G-series trannys?

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Sluice Box Hero [OP]

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2004, 04:57:25 PM »
as far as i know, i can just use the forward shift gear case it currently has and connect it to a top shift t/case, am i wrong??

anyway, im going to tear it down tonight and see if it is stuck in reverse.  should the output and the input shafts turn the same direction when it is in a forward gear??

thanks,
Callen
-Cartman

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2004, 05:37:22 PM »
Callen,  yes it should turn the same way,   it it defintily in gear,

shamb,  he just uses his forward shift for the crawl box and a topshift behind it
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2004, 08:13:08 PM »
Ok Idiomaticman,

Marlin says that it's either stuck in 5th + reverse, or 1st + 2nd.

Marlin also says that the safest gear to move a transmission around in is in reverse. He shifts all rebuilt transmissions into reverse so this wont happen during transit.

BigMike

Sluice Box Hero [OP]

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:21:45 PM »
i just cracked that case and sure enough it was in reverse.  stupid me didnt secure it in the back of my truck, and now that i think of it, i had to do some serious panic braking on the freeway when my gf was about to puke all over my truck!!!!!  guess that slamed it into reverse.

anyway, update, i was able to just shift it back into neutral, but i dont have a 12mm allen socket, so i cant reassemble it (that rod the shift block floats on need to be removed.  anyway, i just pulled it out the front and took the shifter mech. out and put it back together for the night.  tomorrow ill go visit autozone and get a socket, and break that bolt on the back of the case loose and reinstall the rod, block, and shifter and see how it goes.  oh ya, that little ball bearing that goes in that stupid hole is killing me hahah, is it ok to coat it in grease and stuff it in there so it doesnt fall out??

one more question, just because im curious, what is that spring loaded thing in there??  back up light switch?

yet one more question, the farthest back gear in the case. . . . toward the rear, you know, the one that you can never see on the schematics!!, mine is missing a  tooth i think, only it looks as though there never was a gear tooth there, whats up with that??  and another one of the gears is pretty chewed up.  where can i buy new gears for this case?  or would it be more efficient to just get another tranny?  like a W56(they are tougher correct?)  how much tougher are they??

thanks,
Callen
-Cartman

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2004, 10:12:22 PM »
Quote from: Idiomaticman
is it ok to coat it in grease and stuff it in there so it doesnt fall out??
Yes, please do this. It'll keep the ball in place while you work. I do this all the time when building Crawl boxes.

what is that spring loaded thing in there?? back up light switch?
Bingo!

the farthest back gear in the case. . . .
that's 5th gear and its the weakest gear / usually first gear to go bad.
where can i buy new gears for this case?
Marlin sells them used in good inspected condition for $100. This is for the complete 5th gear set includes the 5th drive gear, its counter gear, the shift hub and a good syncro dog.

or would it be more efficient to just get another tranny? like a W56(they are tougher correct?) how much tougher are they??
If you've already driven around for the G54 and your truck is a '84-'87 carb anyways, then you might as well jus' keep it. The W56 is a bit stronger because it has larger shafts, wider bearings, and wider gears. But you will need to convert both shift rails in your transfercase to use the W56 (early or late models) since the G54 uses the long forward shift style rods. Gotta tear the tcase down about 75% for the job.

BigMike

Sluice Box Hero [OP]

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2004, 10:33:53 PM »
you sir, are the man.

so the gear sets are for all the gears?? for $100?

anyway, i think i would stick with the G54 becuase i have it and i got it for like $30.

my truck is actually an 86 22re.  it currently has a POS auto in it that is busted up, not sure where, but its bad, and im putting this tranny in its place in the next few weeks.  i just figured i would go over the tranny before i get it in there (good thing too).

so far i have a clutch, flywheel, master cylinder, slave cylinder, all hydro lines (and im getting the pedal ass. in a week or so at a local pick n pull, unless i can get them online cheaper.).  so im told its an easy swap to do, none the less im trying to get everything together before i even start in on it.  ill do a thread on it, cause i couldnt find anything on anyone doing it except them say they did it and it was easy.

i have another question for you.  will the t/case from the auto tranny in my 86 be a forward or top shift?(i would go and take a look, but the truck its about 800 miles away).  if it is a forward shift will it be the same as the one that is currently connected to my 84 G54 tranny?  and if its the top shift, will i be able to do a cawler set up on it in the future without too much trouble?

thanks for the help,
Callen

-Cartman

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2004, 11:04:28 PM »
so the gear sets are for all the gears?? for $100?
No, Im sorry, just for the 5th gear pieces.... We've got alot of these 5th gear G-series parts in stock but Marlin uses them for his rebuilds. Since you got your trans for $30 maybe you could just find another trans complete for under $100 and have alot of spare parts that way :gap:

ill do a thread on it, cause i couldnt find anything on anyone doing it except them say they did it and it was easy.
Good we need this! Alot of people do ask about it and I only remember one person who posted pictures of closing the parking brake circuit and that the swap was pretty easy. Not much details so if you do that it would rock :beerchug:

will the t/case from the auto tranny in my 86 be a forward or top shift?(i would go and take a look, but the truck its about 800 miles away). if it is a forward shift will it be the same as the one that is currently connected to my 84 G54 tranny? and if its the top shift, will i be able to do a cawler set up on it in the future without too much trouble?
Well actually all 4cylinder automatics this side of '96 used a nondivorcible transmission+transfercase combo where the transfercase pieces are partially installed into the auto transmission housing and are one within each other. Futhure more, its a chain drive style transfercase so it cant be used for anything other than boat anchoring. :scared:

Since your G54 has the stock forward shifting t/case with it, that's great. Keep that where it is and turn it into the Crawl Box, and then find a top shifting style ('79-'83 & '85-'88 EFI non-turbo) tcase to use behind the :turtle: adapter as your actual transfercase that will get shafted (drivelines).

So here's your setup if you wanna go duals:
G54 > forward shifting t/case > :turtle: adapter plate > top shifting t/case

BigMike

Sluice Box Hero [OP]

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2004, 12:22:34 AM »
thanks,

ill keep that in mind.

and yes, the parking/park sensor was the one thing that i was told that might be a problem once i get everything figured out, but i have a good thread discussing what needs to be done about that.

as for the tranny, im just going to put some good oil in it, and run it until it explodes, then get another one and do the same.  im a poor college kid at the moment(hope to get a job as lessy schwab soon), and i dont have the money to rebuild, remake, buy new anything.  once i get some money under me ill be giving you all over at marlin a call about that doubler and a few other things.

hopefully i can get my 44044s for christmas, and ill get my D44 histeer arms and flattop around the same time.  and hopwfully by mid feburary i should have my full width axles under it and ready to wheel.  i just got my D44 4 series carrier, master install kit, and some brand new 5.13 gears in the mail.  just bought a newly rebuilt chabby 12 bolt with 5.13 gears already in it for $200.  ill get this tranny swap all done in a few weeks, and then start on the SAS.

hey, do you all sell a front corssmember to fit the rancho 44044?  i know the front bushing is .25" wider than the stock spring.  not that i cant build my own, but i was just wondering.

ill post back up tomorrow if i cant figure out how to put this damned thing back together once i get that allen socket.

Callen
-Cartman