Author Topic: Front driveshaft!!!! You gotta be kidding me!!!  (Read 11674 times)

dweinberg01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Front driveshaft!!!! You gotta be kidding me!!!
« on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:13:26 PM »
Im gonna vent for a minute... bear with me please.  

About a year ago, I had a driveshaft shop build me a front driveshaft for my 4runner. Told them that it was a 6in lift with leafsprings and gave them the needed length (27" f2f) I explained that I needed the most extension I could get because of my suspension setup and they said okay.  Anyway, I got the driveshaft and installed it. I haven't really pushed the suspension to it's limits yet because I have been trying to fix other stuff.

I took my runner to a shop recently and he put it up on a lift to work on it. He watched as my front suspension drooped fully :jawdrop: and.....my front driveshaft seperated.  :wall: :doh: :hammerhead:

My driveshaft was set at 4" of compression which, after talking to several driveshaft companies, I learned is too much.  It has a CV joint also which I understand takes up space that could be used as extension.  I was told that my best option would be to go to dual t-cases and get new front (longer) and rear (shorter) driveshafts. (I can afford that after I win the lottery tomorrow)

Are there any options that aren't as expensive that can get me up and moving for a while without having my driveshaft seperate everytime I try to climb a curb(j/k) and won't cost me my first born child's college tuition (junior college).

Will clearancing the CV joint like this http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/ help at all.
Truck specs: 95 4runner, 85 SFA, Automatic trans and t-case 6in lift and 36" TSL's
Thank you for listening to my rant and also for your help.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Square will cost you about $30 and you get 18" of travel out of it. :twocents:

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
get a long slip front driveline kit.  that will fix all your problems

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=976
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Square will cost you about $30 and you get 18" of travel out of it. :twocents:

Do you know where I can find a how to build link? Prolly somwhere on this site im sure, but thanks for the idea. I might go that route.

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
get a long slip front driveline kit.  that will fix all your problems

I tried that originally, but the driveshaft shop said that I didn't have enough room to make that work. CRAP!!!!

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
get a long slip front driveline kit.  that will fix all your problems

those things are junk. if yer gonna go long spline atleast use tractor spline
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
Actually I do.  :greengrin:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4475628_build-square-driveshaft.html

Pretty sure it's on the member tech here somewhere.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Will clearancing the CV joint like this http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/ help at all.
No, that will just give you more angle.

those things are junk. if yer gonna go long spline atleast use tractor spline
Do tell, as far as a tractor slip I found them to be to sloppy. I ran a 14" slip similar to the one pictured with out one problem and the slip splines stayed tight the whole time. So why are they "junk"?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
No, that will just give you more angle.
Do tell, as far as a tractor slip I found them to be to sloppy. I ran a 14" slip similar to the one pictured with out one problem and the slip splines stayed tight the whole time. So why are they "junk"?

all the ones ive seen have bent and fairly easy at that
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
built my last square f/driveline with 28$ and 1 hour of labor
1/4" cant conplain
If I break it or what not I dont care, Ill bould another end

howyadoin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Cut your existing shaft and sleeve it with some chromo at the desired length.  Rosette weld and end weld the sleeve.  Hit trail. :thumbs:

I've done it MANY times, here are a couple pics of what I'm talking about...I usually use .120 wall chromo personally.

"Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers"

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Cut your existing shaft and sleeve it with some chromo at the desired length.  Rosette weld and end weld the sleeve.  Hit trail. :thumbs:

I've done it MANY times, here are a couple pics of what I'm talking about...I usually use .120 wall chromo personally.

Okay, Im kinda new to this, but does that extend at all or is it just cut to length and it won't come apart. Thanks

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
it looks like that method just extends the tube so you have less copmression and more extension so you are less likely to have it fall apart.  The fact of the matter is that toyota front drivelines just do not have enough slip built into them to handle a good flexy suspension.  You need to have longer splines. Thats the only thing that will fix your problem. So your options are basically to build a square driveshaft or use a long spline kit.  There are plenty of write-ups on this forum that will tell you how to build a square shaft, just use the search function.  Pro's of a square shaft are: it will never come apart again, fairly cheap to build. Cons of square shaft: cannot be balanced, square tube will never fit as tightly together as splines do so it will have some slop, If you try to drive it in 4 wheel drive during anything but crawling it will bang around and shake pretty bad.   Long spline kit is the best way to go if you can afford it.  Pro's: plenty of slip and will never come apart, splines fit nicely together so you dont get the loose banging and wobbling effect, it can also be balanced fairly well. Con's: it cost 200 bucks shipped to your door, then you still have to pay a driveshaft shop to cut your old one apart and weld your CV joint onto the new long spline shaft.

You also said that you dont have enough room to use a long slip shaft. thats kinda weird because i have had one on both my rigs without dual cases. Also marlin sells an 8" slip unit that should fit in the space you have.  And i think all-pro sells a 10" unit, so you do have some choices if space is limited.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

YotaChris

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 274
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I opt you go square! It's cheap and very strong! Also if your running duals you can build it with around 18" of travel like Mini said and if something happens to your rear driveshaft, it will extend long enough to be used as a rear driveshaft and still have pleanty of travel. But even if you don't decide to go square, I would build one just for a spare because like I said it can be used as a front or rear!!  :twocents:
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
I tried that originally, but the driveshaft shop said that I didn't have enough room to make that work. CRAP!!!!
you need to postup what "driveshaft shop" this was because they are IDIOTS, did they build the tube with exhaust pipe??

the cv has absolutely NOTHING to do with the slip distance of the driveshaft but yes it MUST (the cv) be clearanced as the link abaove to allow enough droop so it doesnt bind when your suspension droops
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
all the ones ive seen have bent and fairly easy at that
i'd be curious as to where they came from because  thats the same as factory aside from the length  and the inner part of the spline is solid shaft :dunno:

a lot better than some square shaft that you can throw a cat between its so sloppy you can hear it coming 2 miles down the trail
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
i'd be curious as to where they came from because  thats the same as factory aside from the length  and the inner part of the spline is solid shaft :dunno:

a lot better than some square shaft that you can throw a cat between its so sloppy you can hear it coming 2 miles down the trail

one was trail gear and one was marlin if i remember right.. and ive bent a stock slip before.  would much rather run a square or some tractor spline, and you can build a square to be tight.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
PUT IFS on it.   :thumbs:

The differential doesn't move so you won't have any problems.

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
it looks like that method just extends the tube so you have less copmression and more extension so you are less likely to have it fall apart.  The fact of the matter is that toyota front drivelines just do not have enough slip built into them to handle a good flexy suspension.  You need to have longer splines. Thats the only thing that will fix your problem. So your options are basically to build a square driveshaft or use a long spline kit.  There are plenty of write-ups on this forum that will tell you how to build a square shaft, just use the search function.  Pro's of a square shaft are: it will never come apart again, fairly cheap to build. Cons of square shaft: cannot be balanced, square tube will never fit as tightly together as splines do so it will have some slop, If you try to drive it in 4 wheel drive during anything but crawling it will bang around and shake pretty bad.   Long spline kit is the best way to go if you can afford it.  Pro's: plenty of slip and will never come apart, splines fit nicely together so you dont get the loose banging and wobbling effect, it can also be balanced fairly well. Con's: it cost 200 bucks shipped to your door, then you still have to pay a driveshaft shop to cut your old one apart and weld your CV joint onto the new long spline shaft.

You also said that you dont have enough room to use a long slip shaft. thats kinda weird because i have had one on both my rigs without dual cases. Also marlin sells an 8" slip unit that should fit in the space you have.  And i think all-pro sells a 10" unit, so you do have some choices if space is limited.

Got any really clear pics of your front shaft with it compressed and drooped? Specs of the actual angles and length too? I installed All Pro 5" and I have the same problem as dweinberg01. That would help a lot. Thanks a bunch guy!!!!
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Got any really clear pics of your front shaft with it compressed and drooped? Specs of the actual angles and length too? I installed All Pro 5" and I have the same problem as dweinberg01. That would help a lot. Thanks a bunch guy!!!!
i can try to get some pics tomorrow.  you are having the same problem?  you mean yours is coming apart too?  thats probly because you only have a 5" slip. 5" is not much more than stock.  mine is a 12" slip. dont ever have to worry about it coming apart
97 4runner Limited

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile

I know it is 23" flange to flange when fully compressed. It has 4 inches of compression set on it. I will get some pics of it compressed and "drooped" for you when I get the truck back from the shop. I will throw a measuring tape on it also so you can see where you are at.

So a a buddy gave me an old front driveshaft from his 93 runner and here is where I sit.  I cut the driveshaft according to MiniSinmp's awesome tutorial (thanks Mini).  The Cv is 5" long and the Cardan side is 7".  I think that 5" of compression stroke is good, leaving me 10" of extension. A total of 27" when bolted up.  I use the number 27" because that is the distance from my pinion flange to the t-case flange at ride height and right know I have 4" of compression.

Do I cut the tubing, both to 15" or is my measurement thinking way off. BTW: I SUCK at geometry so all help is appreciated.

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
My front D-shaft is 24" at ride heigth, I was gonna use a CV but was told it was bad. The CV was gonna work fine if it was broken, I think your driveshaft place sucks...

My 2 cents.
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
My front D-shaft is 24" at ride heigth, I was gonna use a CV but was told it was bad. The CV was gonna work fine if it was broken, I think your driveshaft place sucks...

My 2 cents.

And your point is? What driveline place? your quote " the cv was gonna work fine if it WAS broken" "my front d-shaft is 24" at ride height" what does that mean? Your not very clear in your writing on what your trying to get across to us. We are trying to get some answers, not someone to throw a few words of discouragement into the mess that we are already trying to fix. Give us a rundown of your whole suspension system so that we can maybe get an understanding of what you really meant to say, Pics would be nice too. Try again!! Thanks for your input though.......
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
TTT. Still trying to figure out if my thinking on the tube length is right. Thanks

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile

So a a buddy gave me an old front driveshaft from his 93 runner and here is where I sit.  I cut the driveshaft according to MiniSinmp's awesome tutorial (thanks Mini).  The Cv is 5" long and the Cardan side is 7".  I think that 5" of compression stroke is good, leaving me 10" of extension. A total of 27" when bolted up.  I use the number 27" because that is the distance from my pinion flange to the t-case flange at ride height and right know I have 4" of compression.

Do I cut the tubing, both to 15" or is my measurement thinking way off. BTW: I SUCK at geometry so all help is appreciated.

Help!! Anybody?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
This may help when it comes to length, I cut both tubes (excluding the joints) the same length

hammer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
sqaure tube.
Ive had mine for years. It has served me well
cheap and easy
The Toyota recalls are  conspiracies created by the government to protect and promote their investments (GM and Chrysler).
Im not joking

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
That front driveshaft write up is way too much work. You just need 2.5 trailer hitch stock and 2x2x3/16 tube and only need to cut the male end of the stock drive shaft, only grinding required is to bevel the edges for welding.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
That front driveshaft write up is way too much work. You just need 2.5 trailer hitch stock and 2x2x3/16 tube and only need to cut the male end of the stock drive shaft, only grinding required is to bevel the edges for welding.
sqaure tube.
Ive had mine for years. It has served me well
cheap and easy

C'mon folks, lets see your pics.......

GotMyYotaBack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Apr '09
  • "I like Turtles" Google it
    • View Profile
I used the long travel spline from TG (used dont hate) and have laid on it with out ever bending mine. These trucks dont need that much slip, remember the axle flexs left and right, the Pinion really never goes full drop unless you are catching air. I have seen plenty of trucks (well built) go up on a lift and drop a shaft. Its like you said, youve been using it, it never seporated before. If want a super cheap fix, throw a limit strap in the center of the axle, you will still get all the flex you have now, and some piece of mind.

my  :twocents: let the flaming begin  :biggthumpup:  :flamer:
Trekker Build- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64943.0

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So dont tell me I spelled it wrong! You knew what I ment.