Author Topic: removing Reduction gear case from back part of t-case  (Read 3834 times)

Dark Knight

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
removing Reduction gear case from back part of t-case
« on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:53:35 PM »
I have read the FSM about disassembling the entire t-case but it I would like a little reassurance. I have an 84 g52 trans with forward shift. I was able to find a top shift reduction box (see pic of parts i have below) to build a dual set-up. My plan is to take out the current t-case and separate the forward shift reduction box from it to install my Marlin adapter on it. From this point I would put my top shift reduction box on the same back portion of the t-case and mount the forward shift with Marlin adapter in front of all that to work with my g52. The main question--> is it as easy as I think it is? Can I just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the forward shift reduction box to the back of the t-case and everything come apart, without a "jack in the box" type fiasco, enabling me to install the top shift to the t-case as the rear case?

These are the top shift parts I have (pic not showing shifter, base and cross-member mount)

is there any DIY for this set-up out there? Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 07:07:38 PM by Dark Knight »

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
You will need to convert your current box to topshift "Marlin Sells a kit". and the the front box "the on above" bolts to the trans like factory and the old case bolts to the back of that box. It looks like you ar missing the backing plate though and output shaft. To take teh case apart, you have to dismantly most of it anyway though. As far as i know.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 08:01:57 PM by zippo »
If you see it, its for sale.

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
I'm trying to skip having two top shift cases. My thoughts were to keep the front case forward shift to match up with my g52 tail housing.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
You keep the first case behind the trans a forward shift and the rear most a top shift. Its all about the shift rails as far as i know. i only have top shift.

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
Yea, thanks zippo. I have found that it must be taken apart from the rear output forward. I need to just buy a full top shift t-case, rip out my forward shift and then mount that forward shift reduction case to the full top shift set up to make my dual case. This should be an interesting first attempt at making dual cases....... Nagh I got It!

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
GET TO IT!!!

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
dark night... you will need BOTH top shift rails... if you have them... you can swap them over to the forward shift box... then you will use ONE of your forward shift rails in the crawl box.... it is possible if you have TWO top shift rails
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
It is? I would think the shafts would interfere. You would just need to weld the bridge on the right fork...
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 04:04:45 PM by zippo »

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
is it what? possible for him to move his two top shift rails to his forward shift case? of course... if hes got them both, what do you think marlins kit is? in the front case... he will run ONE of his forward shift rails with the tab welded across it. OR he could find another topshift case and use it in the rear with his topshift crawl box.  either way... you gotta have BOTH topshift rails for the rear case...  and then either one top shift rail for the crawl box.. or one forward shift.... you will have less money into it if you stick with your forward shift... but less resale options. as a topshift can bolt on to EITHER TRANNY(or to another crawl box for triples) but a forward shift can ONLY be bolted to a FORWARD SHIFT.... also, there are different length forward shift rails... so it decreases your options even more.     Im going to convert my own topshift if I can find the parts.... anyone have the 2wd/4wd shift rail that they pulled out of there crawl box that they want to sell cheap?
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I guess I should add that I have this picture in front of me and he only has ONE shift fork.... but I dont see a shift RAIL there either... If you can find another topshift box you probably should go that route for later options and lack of the OTHER shift rail that you would need.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I thought you were saying he could ahve two forward shift cases

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
nope.... if he had BOTH topshift rails he could used them in his forward shift case

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I know, i thought you were saying you could have to forward shift cases at once. not to convert them....

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
As much as I dont want to cut more real estate from the floor of the truck for 2 top shift cases, it will probably be the best way to go. At-least I think I would have to cut more??? The tail housing in the same length on a g52 forward shift set-up as it would be on w-56-a or b right?

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
your rear topshift is going to be another hole anyways...
you can run block off plates on your original tranny, but yes, you would have to cut another whole for your crawl box if you made it top shift too