Author Topic: Project: Everything swap 88' 4runner  (Read 107958 times)

redrocket93

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Rig looks good. Soooo jealous of that garage too. Nice work
sweetness

Thanks fellas

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Wheeled Barrett Lake this weekend. Awesome trip with no issues. Truck did great.

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
nice pix ive alway's wanted to go there
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
nice pix ive alway's wanted to go there

It's an awesome trail for sure. The camp area at the lake is sweet too. 

PBrown

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Sweet pictures dude.
91 reg cab sas, duals 4.7, 5.29s, detroits, 35s, bunch of marlin debt.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Thanks here are a few more.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Niiiiiice. I still haven't made it out there - I'd like to hit Barrett in 2011. New goal for myself  :disturbed:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Put rear springs up front with a mix of marlin leafs to fix broken main leaf from the round up. Took a leaf out of the rear to lower the truck. Came out good. Nice and low.

Hit up Fordyce last weekend. Grenaded a rear ring and pinion on the way out. Great trip other wise. Flopped it trying to get around a broken scout on winch hill 1. No body damage aside from a broken mirror and some light scratches on the quarter panel. Got a replacement ring and pinion on the way and bought a front winch plate and tubbing to build a front bumper.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Updates:

Replaced broken rear ring and pinion.

Recently picked up a pro tools bender, notcher and 160' of 1.75" DOM.

Also bought a Warn M8000 from a fellow Marlin member.

Built a bumper for the winch and mounted control box under the hood using a homemade mounting bracket.

Going on an over night snow wheelin trip next weekend. After that It'll be cage building time. Also building an 8.4" Tacoma rear end with 5.29's spool and shaved diff. More updates over the next couple months.

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Awsome build man!

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Awsome build man!

Thanks, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

874runnertoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
Rig looks good man nice job. :biggthumpup:

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Decided to swap in a Tacoma 8.4 rear. Got tired of breaking 4cyl 5.29's and don't believe that a V6 third is a whole lot stronger. I really like the trussed bearing caps, bigger bearings and beefier third member. Sold my old IFS 5.29 rear and was able to order a Yukon 5.29 gearset, install kit and solid spacer. Welded up the carrier, made some armor for the housing, welded on some shock mounts and called it good. Plus the extra 2" of width can't hurt either.

Check out the difference in the size of the pinion bearings. Much beefier.

Diff armor building (Band saws are awesome)

Finished up and under the truck.

Flexing it out to check tire clearance.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Updates:

Got some junkyard 12" shocks for the rear and built mounts to angle like this / \. I'll get Bilstiens eventually when money permits. I was able to get the shocks mounted as close to vertical as possible for stability purposes. I'll get pics up of that later.  

Got rid of the mtr's and picked up a set of basically new 37" Irok radials. Also picked up some decent 15x8's wheels from a buddy for cheap. I'm not a huge fan of the mallcrawler wheels, but the price was right and the fake beadlock actually beefs up the wheel lip surface a little bit making for a stronger aluminum wheel.

Drove around town a bunch yesterday and the radials ride silky smooth and aren't as loud as I thought they'd be. 1000X better on the street than the bias Iroks I had on my old truck.  

Trying to make sure nothing rubs. It's hard to find a place to flex my truck near my house. This was the best I could come up with and it still sucked.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Looks good, all ready for the summer wheeling season?
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Looks good, all ready for the summer wheeling season?

Thanks. It's pretty much ready. Was hoping to build a roll cage but just don't know if i'll have the time. I've got a 120 feet of DOM, a bender and a notcher just sitting there. I've been busy doing sidework on other rigs. I just overhauled the 22re, did some leaf tuning, made a new frame crossmember and spring hanger on a buddies 4runner. Also installed bilstien coilover lifts on two Tacoma's that my buddies own. This all is what helped pay for the new iroks, Taco rear axle and roll cage tubing. It's been a busy winter to say the least and I'm working 40 hours a week at my normal job.

Buddies spring hanger/front crossmember build

Carnage

Repair

Better non iphone pic of my 4runner with the new wheels and tires

Rear shock mounting on my 4runner

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Looks like it's coming along great! How did you mount the bottom of the shock to your axle?

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
If you hadn't yet, you might want to look into the front bumper reinforcement plate that Addicted offroad and FROF sells. I started ripping 1 of the stock mounting points off my 1st trip out and had to get it.

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

D-Wreck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Truck looks awesome man, I've been looking for a runner for awhile now. I also need a family friendly wheeling rig. Truck looks awesome. Keep up the good work

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Looks like it's coming along great! How did you mount the bottom of the shock to your axle?
Thanks. Shock studs have a 3/4" base welded to the axle. Similar to how most all the upper rear shock bars that Allpro, TG and Sky sell are made.

If you hadn't yet, you might want to look into the front bumper reinforcement plate that Addicted offroad and FROF sells. I started ripping 1 of the stock mounting points off my 1st trip out and had to get it.
It's in the works. A of mine buddy just got a torchmate and its on my list of things to build. I will have by the time rock season is here.

Truck looks awesome man, I've been looking for a runner for awhile now. I also need a family friendly wheeling rig. Truck looks awesome. Keep up the good work

Thanks a lot. I love having the room for people. Last summer I took my older brother and two teenage nephews to the Highlakes for a weekend of camping and wheeling. It was really cool being able to introduce them to what I love doing so much. My brother is now in the market for a double cab Tacoma to build and my 14 year old nephew wants an older single cab to build when he turns 16. Pretty damn sweet, if you ask me.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Did some playin in the snow on Sunday. Snow was shitty slush but we made it to backside of Heartless pass and broke trail from the top, almost all the way down to Ice House Rd. Once I realized that the brand new tire gauge I bought the day before was off by 10 psi, I lowered the tires down to 3psi instead of 13 and they worked great.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
More pics that Chris (cdgvw1) took.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Started to get a little tired of the ratty seats and door panels.

Got some super clean seats out of a 2nd gen 4runner. Had to get a little creative with the mounting to get the drivers seat where I wanted it. I needed it lower and further back for more leg and headroom. Wanted to use the factory threaded holes in the floor for ease of removal and installation in the future and for strength purposes.  I came up with a fairly simple bracket set up and took some cardboard templates over to a buddy who recently bought a 2’x4’ Torchmate.

Cutting the seat brackets out on the Torchmate. So nice.

What we came up with.

All mounted up and ready for the seats.

Mounting brackets to the seat tracks.

Seats installed. My wife helped me recover the door panels as well.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
A few weeks ago I decided to drive this thing to moonrocks on Memorial Day instead of my Tacoma. Needed to fix a bunch of things to make the 280 mile round trip suck less. First order of business was to fix the dual adapter leak. Found some casting flaws in the main bearing pocket causing oil to seep out of the side of the adapter. This is a really old MC adapter with a #820 serial number. I decided to clean out the porosity really well and smear some Toyota FIPG in there and JB welded the outside of the adapter where it was seeping out.

Everything else looked fine wear-wise on the bearings, inputs and output.

Anyone else ever seen this before? It's all back togther now and has been driven over a 100 miles with no sign of gear oil seepage.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
My front axle housing was bent pretty bad from years of abuse. Bought some knuckle Gussets, steering stop re-inforcement and ring gear gaurd from Davez at the Toys on the Rocks swap meet. Pretty basic stuff but, should hold me over til I can afford a ruff stuff housing down the road. Also replaced all four trunion bearings, knuckle studs and inspected/repacked the longfields. Everything is fully legit now.

Also added a PS cooler and fixed PS return hose leaks at the same time. Didn't get any pictures of that.

Loaded up with my pitbike, ready for the weekend. Can't wait.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
The Runner is looking good. It was nice meeting you up at placerville the other week. Have fun this weekend and remember to take pics.

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Thanks and you too. Thanks for reminding me to start charging my camera batteries. You should hit up Moonrocks this weekend. Gonna be a good time.  
:beer:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:47:35 AM by redrocket93 »

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Memorial Day weekend at Moonrocks went well aside from the crappy weather. Drove the old runner 140 miles up there, ran the hell out of it and drove back home with no issues. Only carnage was some body damage (flopped it on the passenger side). As usual, I got a lot of pics of everyone elses truck but mine. Hopefully I’ll get some better stuff from my buddies soon.

It was a straight truck, haha. I was just happy I didn’t break the windshield.

Others

Camp

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Thank you for posting so many pic's, I love seeing them.  :beerchug:
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html