Author Topic: Need help 22rte  (Read 11243 times)

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Need help 22rte
« on: Dec 06, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Need some help figureing out whats wrong with my 22rte Turbo engine. I recently removed the engine because it started to blow a lot of white smoke when running. (Clouds) So I thought it was the head gasket, but when I removed the head there was no sign of the head gasket being shot? Or water in the cylinders? There was not a lot of water in the oil either? Could be that I did not run it to long after the white smoke. My question is could it be the Turbo? I noticed that it has lines for the coolant, could the turbo be shot and allow water to enter the exhaust?  making the white smoke? I also noticed a small amount of oily water in the tube that goes from the turbo to the intake manifold. 
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: Need help 22rte
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »
sounds to me like exhaust valve guides or seals...?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »
sounds to me like exhaust valve guides or seals...?

Valve guides or seals leaking produces blue smoke and is a little harder to see than the white smoke.  White smoke definately has something to do with coolant getting into the combustion chamber.

I'm no expert on turbos, but I'd bet something happened with the seals in the turbo.  Did you see any cylinders that were especially clean once you pulled the head off?  If so, it was most likely the head gasket.  I would think if the coolant leaked through a seal in the turbo, the coolant would come out the exhaust, since it's probably under less pressure than the intake side of the turbo.  But then again, maybey the coolant just goes through the turbo housing and out the other side to cool the whole thing down and doesn't actually have a seal to the turbine.   :headscratch:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2009, 07:19:18 PM »
 I think its coolant because you could smell it coming out of the exhaust. I don't know if that makes sence but it smelled like the coolant i had just put in from toyota. The smoke was also white not blue. I will take a pic of the turbo and head gasket.  :beerchug:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »
Make sure to take a pic of both sides of the headgasket and a pic of the top of your block.  I want to see if any of the pistons are cleaned off.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:00:01 AM »
Turbo and coolant lines

sorry my dad already cleaned off the block. :gap: but it did have black crud around the cylinders like in the pic.

top of head gasket

bottom of head gasket

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
Need some help figureing out whats wrong with my 22rte Turbo engine. I recently removed the engine because it started to blow a lot of white smoke when running. (Clouds) So I thought it was the head gasket, but when I removed the head there was no sign of the head gasket being shot? Or water in the cylinders? There was not a lot of water in the oil either? Could be that I did not run it to long after the white smoke. My question is could it be the Turbo? I noticed that it has lines for the coolant, could the turbo be shot and allow water to enter the exhaust?  making the white smoke? I also noticed a small amount of oily water in the tube that goes from the turbo to the intake manifold.
DING DING DING we have a WEINER
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:03:21 AM »
here ya go, http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=4D00E299-9001-40DB-BBA6-3414658A26CE

CT20 To Garrett GT25R Turbo Kit - Stock Turbo To Garrett
(Fits Stock Turbo Manifold)

LC Engineering is your place to go for those stock turbo components. These rare pieces are not just hard to find, sometimes they are down right impossible to find. LCE offers stock Toyota turbo pieces and a complete replacement kit that will replace that CT20 turbo with a Garret T3 turbo while still using the stock Toyota exhaust manifold. This kit will take an extended time to ship please be aware when ordering.

Turbo Kit Includes:

* NEW Garrett Turbo GT 25 Ball Bearing
    * Turbine Inlet Adapter
    * New Downpipe
    * Oil Drain Assembly
    * Oil Supply Line
    * 2 Hose Clamps
    * 4" Silicone Coupler Hose
    * Turbo Flange Gasket
    * Oil Feed And Drain Fitting Gaskets
    * O2 Sensor

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
personally i'd go with the T3/T4

Pro Turbo - Garrett T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo (TO4E 50-Trim, Stg. 3 .63 Turbine Housing) Dynamic (High Boost)

The Garrett T3/T4 Hybrid race turbo is the next step up from our street turbo. These high-boost turbos share the same low inertia and T3 turbine wheel and T4 compressor to make this the best choice for those wanting to make 300-500 horsepower. The high-boost turbo is designed to spool fairly quickly and can support up to 500 horsepower. The high boost turbo is a Garrett TO4E 50-Trim compressor wheel with a stage 3 .63 AR turbine housing. T-3 flange, 5-bolt turbine outlet. If you're ready to make some big power, this is the turbo for you! Upgrades such as ceramic bearings are also available.

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »
Dang Glen I sent an email to LC and they said the same thing.  :biggthumpup: That kit would work but its not in the budget. :down: maybe i should just get another truck.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
can you afford to get the Garret for $700 and "modify" your other stuff to work

if not use that link,  go to some junk yards and find a Mitsubishi or dodge car with the T3 Garret

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:56:59 PM »
The problem with modifying stuff is that i live in Cali (smog). So I don't know if it would still pass smog?  ???

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2009, 04:42:05 PM »
hmm,  better pm Duffil

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
This is why I got rid of the 22RTE and swapped in a 22RE.   :yesnod:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:55:51 AM »
I went and asked a smog referee on campus if i could swap it over to a 22RE. He said i could but i had to get it out of a 92 or newer pickup. I would rather have the 92 pickup.

diggo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »
I lost my turbo on my 7.3 powerstroke it had no power and white smoke for miles. To bad you pulled the head for a blown turbo. My suggestion to you is to look on line for a place to rebuild your turbo. Put your engine back together I bet it will be fine.
Drive it like you stole it!   I like jeeps! Every hot chick should have one!

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »

edit
Found this web site and sent them an email.
http://www.gpopshop.com/toyotakits.html
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009, 11:54:27 AM by CrazyYota »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2009, 05:53:41 PM »
i wonder if the Supra CT26 would bolt up??  they couldnt do anything if it said toyota on the turbo ???

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:56:01 AM »
thats what a lot of people upgrade to on the 22RTE's :P

I am fairly sure it bolts right up.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Well I got an email back from gpopshop.com and they said it should relatively easy to rebuild.  :crossed: So I think I will be ordering there rebuilt kit to try and rebuilding the turbo.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:56:41 PM »
I can't believe it hasn't been said, but DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY FIXING THE CT20!!!
Supra ct26 is where it's at and a much better turbo. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

91crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 150
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »
You will loos power going to the ct26. Its dino prooven on one of the toyota turbo sites i will post a lenk when i find it agen

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »
pics of the turdbo. does not look to good.  :down: might be the end of the red turbo truck

This fell out of the crack

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:26:28 PM »
I bet the rest of the truck is just as crappy.  Sign the title over and I'll bring a trailer and haul it off for free :gap:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2009, 04:38:56 AM »
go find a supra 7mgte and get the turbo off of it  (CT26)

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:23:35 AM »
Don't ya just hate it when stuff falls out of your crack?   :yupyup:

Seriously though, if you decide to keep your motor turbo'ed make sure you get a turbo timer to cool that thing down before it shuts off.  Also a larger exhaust really helps with the power on turbo engines as well as keeping things cool in the engine compartment. 

It looks like that turbo got too hot.  The only things that would cause it to crack is if it got too hot or if something got sucked into it, and by the looks of the tubine I'd say nothing got sucked into it.

You also might want to look at something with a external wastegate.  They sound to be more reliable and you can change the spring tension on them to up the boost - or you can just get one hooked to a variable boost controller.

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
I bet the rest of the truck is just as crappy.  Sign the title over and I'll bring a trailer and haul it off for free :gap:

Let me know when you are coming. :gap:

What if I just bolt on a 22re exhaust manifold and use it like that? Do you guys think it would work? The truck still has plates till next year about 10 months. Maybe i could use it like that till then part it out later?

CrazyYota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »
My guess is that the truck is better off being swapped for a better one.  This whole project will likely eat upwards of $1K by the time you are done.  And that's if you do all of the work yourself.