Author Topic: "GENERAL LEE" New toy for winter  (Read 35159 times)

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
lol everytime i try to resize it distorts my pics  today i got almost all of the ifs brackets cut off and 4RUNNER is trading me his 83 front axel for my 22re and tranny and a bunch of other parts so now all i need is hi steer and a rebuild kit for the new power
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
ok so i need to get my hi steer ordered so i have it when needed but i dont kno wether to order a flat or drop pitman arm ( I AM GETTING A TG KIT FOR NOW...I DONT HAVE THE CASH FOR THE MARLIN THAT I WANT SO IM ORDERING OFF EBAY BUT WILL BE REPLACED AS SOON AS I HAVE FUNDS FOR A MARLIN) now with that said im going to go with about a 6 leaf ruf pack with the over load removed and a stock or slightly longer shakel can anyone give me some imput on the arm i should choose ??? :help:
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
Youre gonna regret buyin the tg kit.. I bought that kit and after 4k miles had to replace all of the rod ends. Also, the arms arent designed properly and put much more stress on the steering studs. It cost me twice as much to buy the cheap parts first...

If you must buy trail jizz parts, get the flat if you are doing very little lift, get the drop if you are doing 4in or more. I run a sky 3/4 drop arm with 3in lift and it works great.
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

spc mike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Youre gonna regret buyin the tg kit.. I bought that kit and after 4k miles had to replace all of the rod ends. Also, the arms arent designed properly and put much more stress on the steering studs. It cost me twice as much to buy the cheap parts first...

If you must buy trail jizz parts, get the flat if you are doing very little lift, get the drop if you are doing 4in or more. I run a sky 3/4 drop arm with 3in lift and it works great.

So the Marlin arms are geometrically a lot different that the TG ones? Have you broken any studs with the TG Arms?

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
taper is supposedly different, causing cones to not seat all way, thus not fully thightening, All makers of high steer arms claim to have the "CORRECT" geometry vs the compettition, so I dont know about either one being better, I own both, and I like marlins, but only cause it billet.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
I have never broken a stud, but I have always run arp's and never abused this truck when it had the TG kit. Everyone that I know who has sheared or ripped the threads out of the knuckle has been running TG arms. Ive seen marlins, 4x4labs, and allpros take abuse with much better results.

Sparkplug is correct, the tg's have an odd taper where the cone washers only seat on about 1/16in surface. Marlins arms are more like the stock toyota taper. The bigger concern to me is how high up on the studs the cone washers seat on TG arms. There is somewhere around 3/4 of an inch, that space turns into leverage twisting on the studs. Thats also what contributes to the TG arms constantly coming loose with bigger tires. The stock toy arms seat the cone washer about 1/4 inch (dont take this as fact, its been a while since I did the comparison) up on the stud.

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
well im not getn the tg kit now ill have my own custome steering for now till i can afford marlin or 4x4 labs

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
On a side note, im replacing 2 KNUCKLES on my 4runner today, I have arp studs, and marlin arms. 1 knuckle has 2 stripped stud holes, the other has 1, refuse to torque past 30 lbs. I am nototrious about checking torque. I have about had it with toyota knuckles and steering in general. I only run 36 inch tires, and I havent even hit much rocks, and already have been plagued by horrible issues with truns, knuckles, studs, and general steering
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
get a 6 shooter knuckel up grade

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
You gotta make sure youre starting with knuckles that are in perfect shape, most of them are not... Both sets ive owned were, I have arp's and torque to 100 ft lbs and check them regularly. Never had a problem on 37's now and 40's in the past.

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
got my frame all cleaned up and primered back to the front gastank cross member gonna fix a few spots and gusset tomorro and possibly move my steering box foward as far as it will go

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
ok tonight i got my steering box moved foward and mountel it looks pretty good i think

here is the brackets i made to hole the box

and here is the box mounted

Muddytazz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 396
  • Member since Jan '11
  • I hear voices in my head!
    • View Profile
Looks good from what I can tell.  Anyway to post some bigger pics?
Build it right or get off the trail

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
ive tried i even resized these ones on photobucket and they still come out small any sugestions?

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Check your camera settings :dunno:

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
cell phone that may be my problem

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Most likely, pics are going to be small off of a phone.

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
:woohoo: i can now take bigger pics

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
ok tonight i got my steering box reloction buttoned up and the body mount boxed in where i had to cut it out and my top gussets done on the frame  heres some pics
 steering relocation

anothe of the relocation and bod mount boxed in

and one from the top

here is the passenger sidefront gusset on the top of the frame

and the drivers side front gusset on the top of the frame

for only being in the shop for 2.5 hours i think i got a lot accomplished and am happy with how everything came out

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
looks good man :thumbs: cant wait to see it finished
:usa:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0
:usa:

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
neither can i  i should have the frame done and ready to build the spring hangers by tm night i need to pach part of the frameby the gastank and gusset the back and everyxmember will have gussets top and bottom be stron as all hell

4runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 103
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Sep '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
lookin good  gonna have to get the axle to ya tomorrow
that'll keep ya motivated
built not bought 89 4runner
vortec v8, r151, dual cases
4link 1/4 elliptical

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
for sureit will i need to tear it down to put my t100 breaks and ifs hubs on it anyways maybe weld spyders till i get a locker

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
i wanna get the back portion of the frame cearned up patched and gusseted by the end of today and ill be hapy

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
GOT MY FRONT AXEL LAS NIGHT :woohoo:

FRANKENYOTA91

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 108
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
That frame is looking good  :thumbs:
85 toy double extended cab pos wheeler bobby longs, welded front and rear, dual cases
89 4runner sas,  duals, the usual
81 toyota long box project
83 short box project
2001 Cummins 6 speed tow rig

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
good start, looking strong

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
Thanks i got  the back half of the frame grinded down to bare metal this afternoon and both inside rails are pretty much junk imgoing to be cutting them out and patching in new pieces later tonight

yotaneck13 [OP]

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
got the back half of the frame completly to bare metal tonight removed front 2 bed mounts and back cab mount as it will need to be moved back for the ex cab and made templates to cut the patch pieces out for my frame tm ill cut them out of metal and weld in and then fnish primering the frame then is on to drilling the holes in the frame for my tubes which are made (thanks to 4runner) as 1.75 dom boared out about an 8th inch to the correct size of the bushing  ill weld thoes in and start making my front spring hanger