Author Topic: 22r Long Block, where?!  (Read 6942 times)

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
22r Long Block, where?!
« on: Jul 24, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »
OK so either this forum's search does not like me or I am retarded which is a distinct possibility!  Anyway if you looked at my previous post on where to locate AC parts for my new Toyota then you allready know the bottom end of the 22r let go on the way home from buying it.  She went 150 miles and just let go right on I95  :mad:  Anyway I am now in the market for a new 22r longblock and was hoping I could get some input as to where I could find a nice motor built a little better than stock.  I am open to an Internet shop (LCE would be awesome but 5k is a little more than I want to spend) or anywhere reasonably local to Sneads Ferry, NC (Jacksonville, Wilmington etc.).  Thank you all very much for any input you have!

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: 22r Long Block, where?!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »
Thank you coyote for the link, those look NICE!  I found this site http://www.my4n.com/ a few minutes ago and the "Premium performance reman long block" with the Header and carb for $2859.99 sounded like a nice package deal.  Anyone deal with this company or any others before?  Thanks again guys.  Realy looking forward to getting my 1st Gen on the road and off!

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
It would be cheaper to buy a used engine and do a power rebuild yourself buying parts from Engine Builder.  Check craigslist in and around your area, you should be able to pick up a used engine needing a rebuild for under $200.  If you can swap an engine, you should be able to rebuild the 22r yourself and have a nice performance rebuild w/header and carb for under $2k.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2009, 05:23:52 PM »
It would be cheaper to buy a used engine and do a power rebuild yourself buying parts from Engine Builder.  Check craigslist in and around your area, you should be able to pick up a used engine needing a rebuild for under $200.  If you can swap an engine, you should be able to rebuild the 22r yourself and have a nice performance rebuild w/header and carb for under $2k.

I agree
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2009, 04:46:27 PM »
nate, i wouldnt use that link you put up, sounds lie "joe bob's shade tree builder"  with a internet connection

you can get a complete long block from Napa cheaper than what he wants, i think they still use ATK engines

It would be cheaper to buy a used engine and do a power rebuild yourself buying parts from Engine Builder.  Check craigslist in and around your area, you should be able to pick up a used engine needing a rebuild for under $200.  If you can swap an engine, you should be able to rebuild the 22r yourself and have a nice performance rebuild w/header and carb for under $2k.
did you see Jimbo's motor that he thought he could do just because others have??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
nate, i wouldnt use that link you put up, sounds lie "joe bob's shade tree builder"  with a internet connection

you can get a complete long block from Napa cheaper than what he wants, i think they still use ATK engines
did you see Jimbo's motor that he thought he could do just because others have??

Well yeah, I'm just assuming that he's confident in his motor working skills as I am. That's why I went the route I did. If he's not soo confident then just coughing up the $$$$ for a long block may be the way to go
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »

If you are referring to the one w/the hole in the block, no I didn't, not before posting anyways.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »

Coyote... we actualy have a Napa here down the road.  Is ATK a decent company to go with?  Hey I know my truck is an 82 but at some point in the next year i want to convert to EFI (R to RE).  When I go into Napa what year Long Block should I order so i have the right head casting with the mounting points for the EFI setup?  Thanks!

Nate

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
your 22R is ok, i think

i recently held a 22RE gasket up to a 22R  head and the only holes different were only 2 holes in the middle and they hadf a place for a hole to be drilled

in short,  get a 82-83 model motor from Napa,  they give you a year warranty i think

Nate,  its a common mod but to be honest ive taken my 79 into some hairy places rock crawlin and havent had so bad a time,  its gotta be almost on its side or practically standing on the rear bumper to spit and sputter

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2009, 07:20:46 PM »
Ok what do you guys think of this.... http://www.lceperformance.com/Reman-Long-Block-22R-RE-80-84-Celica-Corona-P-U-p/1012252.htm

ATK looks like a solid company.  I Googled and could not find anyone else besides LCE on-line who sells them?  I'll call Napa Auto in the morning and see if they sell ATK and what there price is.  I need help so I can get this damn thing ordered and my truck running!

Nate

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2009, 07:29:21 PM »
thats a good price :thumbs:

looks like LCEngineering is now LCEPerformance.com :suprised:

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2009, 08:10:12 PM »
Ok what do you guys think of this.... http://www.lceperformance.com/Reman-Long-Block-22R-RE-80-84-Celica-Corona-P-U-p/1012252.htm

ATK looks like a solid company.  I Googled and could not find anyone else besides LCE on-line who sells them?  I'll call Napa Auto in the morning and see if they sell ATK and what there price is.  I need help so I can get this damn thing ordered and my truck running!

Nate

Dang! for that price I woulda bought one from them instead of doing it myself. And a 3yr warranty too! Heck yeah. That's new cause I just went through my motor about 2 months ago and it wasn't there then. I even bought a few parts too. Talk about timming. Oh well, it's good practice.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2009, 09:54:55 PM »
ATK http://www.atk-engines.com/ has been around for years,  i didnt know LC  sold them till now,

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2009, 07:29:33 AM »
ive got a 22R with a warped head. everything else is solid. but i am in texas so it'd be hard to ship.
lets not and say we did.

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »
Well I just ordered the ATK long block from LCEngineering :D  I'm very excited, can't wait to actually get to drive my new truck!  :thumbs:  Soon as she is running I'll pull her out and get some more pic's!

Nate

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
:thumbs:   we want to see action pics,  can go out on some Tank test grounds :dunno:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »
Never heard a bad thing about ATK blocks, so hopefully you'll be happy.  Mine sat for at least 10 years before I installed it in the 4by and it runs pretty decent.  Not as powerful as the old block, but it's fairly smooth.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
Never heard a bad thing about ATK blocks, so hopefully you'll be happy.  Mine sat for at least 10 years before I installed it in the 4by and it runs pretty decent.  Not as powerful as the old block, but it's fairly smooth.
10 YEARS?!  My god why would you let your engine sit that long :D ?!  I procrastinate but that has to be a record hehe

Nate

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »
Bought a parts truck in 98 or 99, took it to a friend of a friend's house when I had to move, he sold it to another guy, I went and repo'd some stuff and the engine, stuck the engine in storage for a few years, robbed the head when mine corroded too far, toasted the old block a few years ago and began looking for another, finally realized last year I had the block burried in storage, brought it home, cleaned, painted, replaced front o-ring, water pump and gasket, front main seal, rear main seal - all with factory toyota stuff, made a pan gasket, installed the 20r head with toyota head gasket and swapped it into my 80.

Does that explain it well enough for ya?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2009, 04:00:27 AM »
LOL!  That's one hell of a story!  Nice to have an Ace in the Hole like that huh?  I hope it gives you years of great service!  :D
Bought a parts truck in 98 or 99, took it to a friend of a friend's house when I had to move, he sold it to another guy, I went and repo'd some stuff and the engine, stuck the engine in storage for a few years, robbed the head when mine corroded too far, toasted the old block a few years ago and began looking for another, finally realized last year I had the block burried in storage, brought it home, cleaned, painted, replaced front o-ring, water pump and gasket, front main seal, rear main seal - all with factory toyota stuff, made a pan gasket, installed the 20r head with toyota head gasket and swapped it into my 80.

Does that explain it well enough for ya?

Pariah

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 20, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
If you're still looking to install AC in your truck, this is a kit that I recently purchased and installed. Very nice, easy to install, complete kit.

http://www.bought4less.com/bought4less/prod-ff80808116f363070116f36b562d08cb.html

Might contact them and see if it would work for an 83. They were very helpful with the tech questions I had.