Author Topic: Did Marlin Really Invent Toyota Rock Crawling? edited so people don't hate me  (Read 14128 times)

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
                                         START PAGE 2 HERE...........

You'd really defend him regarldess of the facts? I can respect the loyalty. Can't understand the mindset, but I can respect the loyalty.

Then you sir have never met the man they call MARLIN, I just got here on the conversation and could care less about all the bashing going on good or bad  :blah: but untill you actually sit down with MARLIN  :turtle: and eat a meal with him or even just BS on the trail you wont understand it. I have meet him and would with out question defend him and go to battle for him, he is a plethra of knowledge, information and advice witch he gives free and at no cost to anyone on the trail or at the shop, he is genunily a great individual and someone I call a friend and yea I'd really defend him regarldess of the facts because if he said it it wouldnt be a lie.

THAT IS ALL CARRY ON......

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: Company getting a big head?
« Reply #31 on: Jul 17, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »
You'd really defend him regarldess of the facts? I can respect the loyalty. Can't understand the mindset, but I can respect the loyalty.

I must agree with Yeller completely, Marlin is a unique man, if not for his generosity, devotion and enthusiasm to his customers and the sport, Marlin Crawler would not exist and neither would we be wheelin in the fashion we do. Many companies today would not exist without Marlin pushing forward and pioneering the sport for Toyota's. All Pro, Front Range, Trail Queer, Sky, Inchworm, what used to be ORS etc. none of them would exist if Marlin had not developed the original crawler.

I give you props for being as mature as you are to handle the bashing you were getting on here. As with any forum its best to fully explain your self so as to avoid unnecessary bashings. Dare I say it but you even seemed a tad humble. BUT ONLY A TAD.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
He may not be the inventor of  "Rock Crawling"  but.... I feel he is the inventor of  "Toyota Rock Crawling"   Which is on that banner. I would also defend Marlin no matter what the facts are......

Me too, me too !!!!!!!
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda

I must agree with Yeller completely,

wow that just happened.... new sig line thanks TACO  :biggthumpup:

MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Before Marlin introduced the dualcase concept to North America in 1994, most people wheeled Jeeps and a few Landcruisers. Marlin remembers there being about 1 Toyota (Hilux) minitruck per every 50 Jeeps. He remembers going out onto the trail and saying, "Come awn girl, :nerv: please don't let me down!" Everyone used to make fun of these "Japanese tin cans", saying that all minitrucks were a bunch of burnt up clutches that were too long. Jeeps used to literally drive circles around minitrucks.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything becaue I'm more curious than anything else.   Wasn't there a guy in Cali somewhere named O'brien that had a dual case adapter for Toyota's called the jpeater or jeepeater or something like that?  If so what time frame was this?
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
has this topic been brought up on pirate?

im sure there are more people over there who have been in the sport a long time who could back this if it were legit

flyin ryan

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -204
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Sep '04
  • poser to the extreme!!!
    • View Profile
I'm 35 yrs old.  Back in 1985-86 is when I first heard of marlin crawler.  I believe it was is in a downey offroad catalog that I had seen it in.  That was when I first heard the word "crawler" to being refered as offroading.

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
has this topic been brought up on pirate?

im sure there are more people over there who have been in the sport a long time who could back this if it were legit

:dunno:   Why don't you go over there and do it?

EDIT:  I'm sorry did you just ASK if there is a thread about something on Pirate?  Isn't the correct answer.....  :slap: SEARCH NEWB!!   :disturbed:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

Doof

• Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
how can i search for past threads that were started today?

come on....

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Wow the butthurt is strong with this whole retarded argument.  I'll agree that Marlin is a helluva man, never met him in person but I've talked to him on the phone and seen hos he acts to know he's a VERY straightforward guy without a dishonest bone in his body. 

That having been said some of you are swinging from his sack harder than a couple locals swing off of bobby long.... 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile

couple locals swing off of bobby long.... 

cough*odie*cough  :talkingn:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I guess I'll throw my :twocents: in here.

When I first started wheeling there was no option in the Toyota field for tcase gear reduction, Jeeps had them but Toyota owners had to deal with not having any options to work with. Several years later JP Eater was introduced and was a definite improvement but you still were not "crawling" with the big boys. Then several years after that some guy that rebuilt transmissions for a living figured out how to mate two Toyota center sections together without breaking the bank and "Toyota" rockcrawling was born. Sure Marlin did not create rockcrawling, but I can safely say that before Marlin's dual case setup nobody was "crawling", per say. Sure you could go extremely slow but you were not crawling. I remember when Marlin brought out his first triple setup to T.D.S. it was hilarious to watch. I even remember Mike walking across the bed of the truck when Marlin was wheeling through a small wash. I also remember a lot of pissed off Jeeps behind us.

Since Marlin has nothing to do with making a Jeep crawl (unless you use Toyota parts) Marlin did invent Toyota rockcrawling since before Marlincrawler you had very few options and yes you were able to go slower than a stock Toy but by no means were you actually crawling. I've been wheeling Toyota mini trucks since before there was a tcase option and can safely say that besides the JP Eater Marlin was the first to "crawl" a Toyota, there is no way you'd even think about walking next to your JP Eater as it was driving down a trail.

I am an OM. "Original Mini"
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
That having been said some of you are swinging from his sack harder than a couple locals swing off of bobby long.... 

Isn't this code of conduct of one from the pirate forum. I don't feel that this kinda talk is necessary here.......
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Isn't this code of conduct of one from the pirate forum. I don't feel that this kinda talk is necessary here.......

If that's the worst thing you read on this forum count yourself fortunate.  :therethere:

Kyota you got that right...  Add samota and jp to that list..  Bobby could be an ax murderer and they'd defend him to the end.  :headshake:

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
I guess I'll throw my :twocents: in here.

When I first started wheeling there was no option in the Toyota field for tcase gear reduction, Jeeps had them but Toyota owners had to deal with not having any options to work with. Several years later JP Eater was introduced and was a definite improvement but you still were not "crawling" with the big boys. Then several years after that some guy that rebuilt transmissions for a living figured out how to mate two Toyota center sections together without breaking the bank and "Toyota" rockcrawling was born. Sure Marlin did not create rockcrawling, but I can safely say that before Marlin's dual case setup nobody was "crawling", per say. Sure you could go extremely slow but you were not crawling. I remember when Marlin brought out his first triple setup to T.D.S. it was hilarious to watch. I even remember Mike walking across the bed of the truck when Marlin was wheeling through a small wash. I also remember a lot of pissed off Jeeps behind us.

Since Marlin has nothing to do with making a Jeep crawl (unless you use Toyota parts) Marlin did invent Toyota rockcrawling since before Marlincrawler you had very few options and yes you were able to go slower than a stock Toy but by no means were you actually crawling. I've been wheeling Toyota mini trucks since before there was a tcase option and can safely say that besides the JP Eater Marlin was the first to "crawl" a Toyota, there is no way you'd even think about walking next to your JP Eater as it was driving down a trail.

I am an OM. "Original Mini"

You forgot one thing, Marlin certainly is responsible for making things simpler and more affordable but that OG design didn't come from his brain, it came from iceland.  He took a design and improved upon it immensity.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
You are so correct, I didn't mention that on purpose that keeps those in the know on that an Original Mini as you are one too. Marlin's current dual adapters are far from those. Even his original adapter was a monster compared to what he sells today. FYI I don't hang by anyone's sack I have my own. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I fully believe Marlin Czajkowski invented the term "Rock Crawling" and he put Toyota pickups on the map.
It was my decision to add that to the title bar about two weeks ago.
No other company can claim this and I think we need to embrace it.

For your reading pleasure:

Before Marlin introduced the dualcase concept to North America in 1994, most people wheeled Jeeps and a few Landcruisers. Marlin remembers there being about 1 Toyota (Hilux) minitruck per every 50 Jeeps. He remembers going out onto the trail and saying, "Come awn girl, :nerv: please don't let me down!" Everyone used to make fun of these "Japanese tin cans", saying that all minitrucks were a bunch of burnt up clutches that were too long. Jeeps used to literally drive circles around minitrucks.

Terrible, terrible odds, Jeeps far out numbered Toyota pickups.

Marlin has been wheeling his truck continuously since 1983. Purchased it in Sept of 83, he had it through Rubicon & Dusy/Ershim the very next spring. He first went up Surprise Canyon in 1992, 2 years before the Marlin Crawler, burning up his clutch the whole way. According to Marlin, everyone made fun of Toyota minitrucks back then :down: No one respected them.

In fact, check this out: Did you know that Marlin's truck was the first Toyota vehicle through the Jack Hammer trail in Johnson Valley? Not only this, he was the #3 vehicle through the trail! This is confirmed by Chuck Shaner(sp?) and Paul "Fuzzyface" who are the godfathers of Johnson Valley from the Victor Valley 4WD club.

How cool is that?!! :bling: The next time you see Marlin's truck, you are looking at the first Toyota up Jack Hammer in the history of the trail. Back then that was totally BAD ASS because NO ONE respected Toyota's!

:turtle:

Now, you look around on Rubicon or Dusy or Johnson Valley, and you tell me what the ratio you see of minitruck to Jeeps? I've been through Rubicon a couple of times with a bunch of Toyotas without seeing a single Jeep.

Back in the day there were no other rigs with spare parts. You had to carry any spare you needed. You couldn't just look around a camp fire and find a spare short side front axle shaft. There weren't ppl in your group with another Hilux. You were it. You were the one weirdo idiot fool taking your underpowered POS Toyota minitruck out of the city and trying to mingle with Jeeps.

That is why Marlin takes pride when he says, "I put Toyota pickups on the map"
This is why I don't believe I am having a "big head" when I say that Marlin Crawler is the inventor of Toyota Rock Crawling. I believe it is a bonafide fact.

BigMike

Guess that's it in a nut shell.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
wow that just happened.... new sig line thanks TACO  :biggthumpup:

LOL. good stuff, glad I was able to contribute.

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
The first Crawler box or should I say Dual Cases was however not invented by Marlin. Marlin is responsible for his own 4.7 gears however
the First Dual case was invented by a guy in Ice Land which Marlin spoke with and after ordering one, Marlin started making his own. So in that respect Marlin was not the first.   (I did not make up the above mentioned, I was told this story by Marlin him self, so if you don’t like it to bad) :shhh:
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2009, 06:12:08 PM by TacoRunner »

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Great companies do many things well. One of them is brag about their products and themselves. That is good marketing. It does not matter that he coined it or invented it. When someone says rock crawling I think Marlin and that is all that matters to me.

Someone could have the owned the trademark 30 years ago. The street (offroad) cred goes to Marlin for living it.

Thank you for posting this thread. Marlin rocks :usa:
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
Great companies do many things well. One of them is brag about their products and themselves. That is good marketing. It does not matter that he coined it or invented it. When someone says TOYOTA rock crawling I think Marlin and that is all that matters to me.

Someone could have the owned the trademark 30 years ago. The street (offroad) cred goes to Marlin for living it.

Thank you for posting this thread. Marlin rocks :usa:

X2     but fixed one little part
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Well thanks to those who have tried to be nice. Anyways, my point here was NEVER to say anything personal about Marlin himself, he doesn't do the website. There are people who yes I would defend them personally whether they're right or wrong, but not the topic...know what I mean? And when I say this I'm not saying anything about the whole "rock crawling" thing, I'm just using it as an example, but if you've got a friend who is completely full of it and he's getting s**t from a bunch of a**holes, you tell them to go #$%@ themselves and leave your friend alone, then you tell your friend he needs to shut the heck up because he doesn't know what he's talking about. You don't defend his faulty point of view, but yes, you defend him. If that's what you're talking about here, then I'm with you. Again, I never questioned who Marlin is as a person, I questioned a claim the site is making.

Anyways, I'll be just a TAD bit more humble :gap:, and say that I'm sorry to anyone who I offended by making them think I'm personally attacking Marlin or something. Anyone I offended by just bringing up the question about the rock crawling thing...I don't care too much about that.  :beer:

Glad it's actually turned into something of a discussion!
Zach
I like Yotatech

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Wow, don't take the intardnet so seriously...  95% of the people you meet online that act tough and hardcore are just little biatches in person.  They just like to talk smack behind a keyboard.  Keep that in mind and you'll stay sane longer knowing it is an act.  I don't act online, I'm the same on or offline so if you don't like me here you wouldn't like me on the trail either.

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
The first Crawler box or should I say Dual Cases was however not invented by Marlin. Marlin is responsible for his own 4.7 gears however
the First Dual case was invented by a guy in Ice Land which Marlin spoke with and after ordering one, Marlin started making his own. So in that respect Marlin was not the first.   (I did not make up the above mentioned, I was told this story by Marlin him self, so if you don’t like it to bad) :shhh:

There was a dual case invented in Georgetown before and fully independent of Marlin, Iceland or O'Brian. Still was in a running vehicle last I saw it. It was never fully marketed. The claim for market fully goes to MCI.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Wow, don't take the intardnet so seriously...  95% of the people you meet online that act tough and hardcore are just little biatches in person.  They just like to talk smack behind a keyboard.  Keep that in mind and you'll stay sane longer knowing it is an act.  I don't act online, I'm the same on or offline so if you don't like me here you wouldn't like me on the trail either.

Well, I like the tech help I get from this site and I hate the idea of people who know Marlin personally, and can talk to him in person daily, thinking I'm attacking his character. That's all. I don't use internet forums to act tougher than I really am either. Speaking before I completely think things out gets me in trouble fairly often in real life, too.  :gap:  At least here, I can explain myself before anything worse than an argument happens.  :outtahere:
Zach
I like Yotatech