Author Topic: Offenhauser question  (Read 2888 times)

sricruiser

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Offenhauser question
« on: Jul 07, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »
Just wanted to start by saying how much I enjoy reading this forum.  I am a newbie to the MC forum,  but I do have some experience wrenching and wheeling toyota trucks.  I recently bought a 1980 hilux with a 20r. 

It has a leaky carb that is aftermarket (not sure of the make),  so I found a rebuilt 22r carb, and got the LC engineering adapter plate and was about to put it in when I noticed that it had an offenhauser intake manifold on it.

My first question is: Will I be able to put a 22r carb on an offenhauser intake with the lc engineering adapter plate?

My next question is that the 22r carb that I have has pigtail with four wires (green in color).  A red wire going to the choke,  two wires leading up to some sort of sensor or relay, and another wire that looks like a ground.  The after market carb that is currently on there has no pigtail for a harness to connect to.  What should I do with these wires when I go to install the 22r carb.  The PO has removed the smog pump, so there are various vacuum  and smog lines that are plugged.  I can hear an electric fuel pump start when I turn the key to ACC.  But I have to pump the pedal before I crank the engine to get the truck to start.  As you can see I am very new to the world of carbs. :help:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I searched the 22r carb onto a 20r intake mod on this forum as well as other forums, but I wasn't able to find out anything about the 22r carb working on a offenhauser manifold for the 20r head.  Thanks in advance

wildchild1066

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '05
  • i like cold bud and deep mud
    • View Profile
Re: Offenhauser question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2009, 08:59:45 PM »
not sure about the carb swap you can probaly flip the adapter but if you decide to do away with the offy intake a friend of mine would want it
UNLEASHED IN THE EAST

sricruiser [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2009, 05:29:49 AM »
I appreciate the tip.  Considering I don't want to pay for another intake, and the Offenhauser seems to be a little bit of an upgrade,  I'd rather use what I've already bought,  if it works.  If not,  I'll let you know. 

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
yes it will work

the offy really wasnt an upgrade on the 20R  but did flow better than the 22R intake

A red wire going to the choke,  two wires leading up to some sort of sensor or relay, and another wire that looks like a ground.
that is a fuel cut solenoid,  the original 20R carb only had one wire to the fuel cut Solenoid but you can just run any "key on" power source to it AND  the choke
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

sricruiser [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2009, 05:28:27 AM »
Thanks '79,   I'll keep that in mind.  I went ahead and pulled off the carb that was on there.  It is a Motorcraft.  The adapter from the dual port Offenhauser to the Motorcraft wont adapt to the LC engineering adapter plate.  I'm going to call one of the Offy vendors today to see if they service a plate.  If any of you have a solution to adapting an offy to a 22r carb, please let me know.