Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!!! think i did the "older head on the newer block"  (Read 3352 times)

KingofChilli82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
I bought a short block from a guy and he said it was a 92, my previouse engine was a 92 also, when i bought this 82 truck i dont know what year engine was in it (but it came with a box of extra parts like it had been rebuilt or swaped at least once b4).
So the original to me engine was DUN, had to use 4low just to move it, so i put in a stock 120k 92 22r motor. Then i blew that to pices(about a min and a half at almost 7k... yes in the mud this is illinois). so i talked to the guy that i bought it from and he said the original motor that came in it had a cam and that he had a weber he found that went with it and gave it to me. So now its january and im going to ditch the bed put in a custom floor do full hydro with exo and custome leaf mouts and wrap bars yada yada and a FRESH MOTOR.... yeah sure!

Well its prime wheelin season now and everything else is done and works but this engine is being frigin difficult to say the least.
ive heard about the early head on late block thing but this header i got has fit every engine ive had and it came on the original motor??? so if i did put the old head on new block how do i get it timed, i know it will be at a loss of compresion but right now ive tried everything but diffrent jets and i cant get it past 1k rpms, then it sounds like it has a load on it like when you put the break on a dyno??? ive went four teeth both ways on the cam and the dist. gear and i can get the idel nice and smooth but no r's or a ruff idels and about 1,000-1200 r's. :smack:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:yikes:  please dont tell me you moved the cam gear 4 teeth :yikes:

the old head on a new block simply WILL NOT WORK

you can bolt it on but the newer timing chain wont go on at all and the older style chain will be floppy loose, not to mention compression ratio will be down around 7 to 1

look up Oddmar on this forum, he has LOTS of toyota stuff in Pekin IL

you NEED either a newer style head or a older style block
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KingofChilli82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
yeah thats where the block came from and he will proly want to much for a head. but heres what bogells me is my header has fit on all the heads ive had and marlin says if there is a single stud inbetween 2 and 3 its an old head and that complete 92 motor i had last had the same bolt patern???

KingofChilli82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
oh yeah and the chain aint that flopy cause its nice and tight with the tensioner out about a lil over half way out???
p.s. im tryin to run my # of posts up so i can post pix!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
measure your head, the early head is 100mm from top to bottom
the newer style head is 96mm
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KingofChilli82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
so what year heads are the 96s. im callin the junkyards now. ide call dude in pekin but cant get his # cause i broke my phone charger too...

KingofChilli82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
here we go pix in next post!

KingofChilli82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
well 2&92 truck parts aint got ne so :smack:

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
:yikes:  please dont tell me you moved the cam gear 4 teeth :yikes:

the old head on a new block simply WILL NOT WORK

you can bolt it on but the newer timing chain wont go on at all and the older style chain will be floppy loose, not to mention compression ratio will be down around 7 to 1

look up Oddmar on this forum, he has LOTS of toyota stuff in Pekin IL

you NEED either a newer style head or a older style block

Good info.  :biggthumpup:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

KingofChilli82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
heres my pix from last july when it was stock to now

KingofChilli82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
still got to finish front kickers to stinger but im glad i didnt do that yet or it wud be real hard to work on.
and my mesh bed and tool box but thats only a weekend long project.

so back to the head prob. i got an 88 efi over the hill ima pull that head and put my manny and carb on it.
i dont really wana take this head off this motor just cause its complete and its got 206k mi. on it...

what you guys think about putin a used cam about 140k mi. onit in a head with 206k...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
still got to finish front kickers to stinger but im glad i didnt do that yet or it wud be real hard to work on.
and my mesh bed and tool box but thats only a weekend long project.

so back to the head prob. i got an 88 efi over the hill ima pull that head and put my manny and carb on it.
i dont really wana take this head off this motor just cause its complete and its got 206k mi. on it...

what you guys think about putin a used cam about 140k mi. onit in a head with 206k...
you can put the 88 head on it that will work fine, 

here's Jakes number 309-202-1682,  his profile here -->  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2193

you said it wouldnt run right, and to be honest it never will with that head on it

yes the chain is fairly tight with the tensioner pushed out BUT that slack is causing the cam to be out, do yourself a favor and get the proper head

you could even use the 88 engine and run the intake and carb from your engine on it

OH and with the header, many aftermarket headers are drilled to fit both styles of 22R heads