Author Topic: Bed wagon frame and cover build/ soft top  (Read 21060 times)

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Bed wagon frame and cover build/ soft top
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:23:47 PM »
I saw rockcrawlinredneck's frame and bed cover(heck, I don't know what to call it) and think it looks great. I want it for my 83. So I pulled together some cash and started. I hope it comes out as good as his. Im hoping that this isn't too cheezy to post and that someone will enjoy it. Plus, I needed something to do since my trans is out and I'm waiting for my L52HD to get here.

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2010, 09:22:45 AM by hilux-1983 »
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Bed wagon frame and cover build
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:25:15 PM »
soft top?

yea his is super clean, waht are you planning to make the actual cover out of?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:02:01 AM »
I wanna use a sand colored canvas. I have to go to the fabric store today and order it. The main reason for making this thing is that I have my 2 kids that love to ride in the back and the sun is pretty hot here in AZ. I installed a seat, with seatbelts, in the bed. Its a back seat from an Amigo. It fits just perfect. It sounds kinda redneck but i'd like to think that i'm gittin'r done.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »
so are you gonna build the canvas to be full length or just partial length of the bed? or you could make it in a way that you could roll it up to only cover about half of the bed or the whole thing if you unrolled it.

what does teh law say about people riding in the bed? its legal but are there any age restriction or has to have: license, camper sheel etc?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »
Here in AZ anyone can ride in the "cargo area" of said vehicle. With or without seatbelts. I'd rather have safety of the seatbelts since they ARE my kids. Some of the older law states that 13 and younger have to be in seat belts. Heck, the way I have it set up, it's just like a future version of the 4-runner with the top off.
I am going to have a full canvas(front, sides and rear). After I have the frame done, I am going to take it to an upholstry shop and have them install windows on the sides and zippers front and back, button snaps on the side. That way I can do what I want with it. Roll up the sides etc.... I'm actually taking a breather and lunch right now. I'll be done with the frame later today. I'll post pics tonight.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
well i built a hoop tonigh too and i was waitin to see pics of yours before i got too far into it. ill probly cover just the top of mine for now although im not really sure when ill find time to build the other 2 hoops. any pics yet?

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jul '08
  • When in doubt Romp it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 03:56:52 AM »
hey hilux where in az are you located

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »
I'm in Buckeye. Here's a few pics.

As you can see, I'm missing the rail on my tailgate. I am looking for another tailgate or the whole bed. I can cut the section that I'm missing from either one of the sides and weld it to the missing area of the tailgate. So, if anyone has one, let me know thanks
I almost forgot to answer one of the questions posted. The hoops are made from 3/4 tubing(a little overkill I know), the side tubing is 1/2, the angle iron is 1 inch by 4" sections.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:31:08 AM by hilux-1983 »

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »
looks good! :thumbs:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »
looks great
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 01:37:13 PM »
Thanks. I have more pics. I'll load them up later

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jul '08
  • When in doubt Romp it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
when i get my 1st gen running we should hit up some trails

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 05:23:10 PM »
What gauge/diameter tube are you using?
Are you going to make a roll bar to protect your rear passengers?

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »
I'm using 3/4 in tubing, yes I will be making a roll bar. Here are some of the latest:

I cleaned up the welds, removed it from the truck, painted it and I trimmed'r up a bit and put some buttons along both sides today. The tarp is a bit wrinkley(?) but I was told the wrinkles and the stretch marks will come out after it gets wet and dried. It'll in a sense "sinch" up a little. After I get my trans from marlin and install it, I will take this down to the upholstry shop and have them sew in some zippers for the back and two see through material(windows) on the front half of the cover.

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »
when i get my 1st gen running we should hit up some trails
yup, yup!

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »
well i built a hoop tonigh too and i was waitin to see pics of yours before i got too far into it. ill probly cover just the top of mine for now although im not really sure when ill find time to build the other 2 hoops. any pics yet?
Let's see some pics of what you have going so far.

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
I've got a question to ask any and all of you welders out there. I don't weld much. I bought this lincoln 125hd wire feed(no gas) for this project. It seems that it welds better on the angle iron than the tubing. Why is that. I can weld with lower power and cleaner on the angle iron. The tubing(that's stamped "taiwan steel"), I have to turn the power way up. I get a lot of splatter too.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »
Are you using ant spatter reducing agent, such as the gel they sell with welding supplies, or Pam cooking spray?

IME(nothing more than a DIY welder) the quality of the steel and the type also seems to determine the mount of splatter you get.  Heavier gauge steel also tends to be nicer to weld than the thiner stuff, and that is why you have to adjust the wire feed speed and the temp settings, as well as your how fast you move the bead.

From the pics it looks like you used electrical conduit for the frame, did you or is it just how the pics are coming up?  If so this could also be why you are getting the extra amount of spatter.  There isn't anything wrong w/the conduit if you did(since it isn't designed to be for roll over protection), it works fine for light weight applications IMO.  I use it for Safari racks and other light duty racks, since it doesn't rust when the paint gets scratched off.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 07:26:35 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
It's all most completly done. I just got a tailgate yesterday that I have to repaint and then I can put the final buttons on the rear of the canvas. I know it looks kinda goofy with the rear bumper and the drop hitch. Since it's a DD I'm on the freeway a lot. I've had 2 cars run into me and if it were not for the drop hitch they would have gone under me.

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 05:28:27 PM by hilux-1983 »

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
hey! that looks pretty darn good!!
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:26:36 PM »
hey! that looks pretty darn good!!

I'll take that compliment with gladness coming from you and seeing the type of work you do.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »
that turned out lookin really good. is there anyway to roll up the sides so its just a roof and no sides for a better breeze comin thru?

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
that turned out lookin really good. is there anyway to roll up the sides so its just a roof and no sides for a better breeze comin thru?

Not yet. I'm going to have zippers sewn in down the middle behind the windows and velcrow on the inside of the flaps so that when it's all unzipped it all folds under and attaches to the under side of the roof. I think this will give it a cleaner look.

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
Does anyone have an older 4Runner roll bar they wanna get rid of thats just taking up space in the garage or back yard, if not free, super cheap? I'd rather install that for protection instead of building my own.

redrocket93

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 13, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
I have one for super cheap but I'm in Norcal. If your ever in the area you can come get it. BTW I love the bed cover.

BAMF

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 179
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 31, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »
That thing is looking awesome.  Great job.  I never thought of it but I can just custom make one for my 4Runner instead of shelling out the $$$ for a Canback or the like.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:25:01 AM »
Looks awesome man! Great Job  :biggthumpup:   one question, right behind the cab did you sew the corners and just leave a flap hanging below your bed?  or do i see a 1x2to keep it weighted down behind the cab?  keep us updated when you put the zippers and velcro on.
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »
Looks awesome man! Great Job  :biggthumpup:   one question, right behind the cab did you sew the corners and just leave a flap hanging below your bed?  or do i see a 1x2to keep it weighted down behind the cab?  keep us updated when you put the zippers and velcro on.

It's funny you should ask. I left a 2" lip to keep the rain out and had my sew-er dude leave an additional lip to put buttons on so that they can snap onto the bed from the inside. It's over at his shop right now having that done. I'll post more pics when I get it back. thanks for the interest.

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 362
  • Male Posts: 1,715
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 07, 2009, 10:29:26 PM »
hmmm, i be inspired, so when all is said and done, how much money do you think you will have into this bad boy?
When in doubt, skinny pedal!
Turd Box Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50894.0

NoPower

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Wish the 87 had V8 power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2009, 10:35:40 PM »
Wow that turned out really good :yesnod: Looks like you did a great job :thumbs: