Author Topic: i hate noises  (Read 2967 times)

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i hate noises
« on: Oct 11, 2004, 08:34:36 PM »
ok so for the past week or so my truck has been doing some rattling. when i let off the gas or give it gas the truck rattles/grind noise occurs. i swear that the noise is coming somewhere in  the tranny/tcase area. it was really bad tonight on the freeway when i let off that gas at 70mph. i sometimes here a sound that sounds like a bearing whinning. i asked the autotech teacher and he said sounded like ball joints? any ideas
Im an OG

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
Re: i hate noises
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2004, 08:42:47 PM »
sounds like a release bearing  :dunno:
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2004, 08:43:42 PM »
Ball joints=SAS time! :yupyup:

Check your motor & trans/t-cas mounts

sounds like a release bearing :dunno:

Yup, could be in the clutch & flywheel assy.
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

Skinny_Pedal [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2004, 08:46:12 PM »
release bearing, where is that. when he told me ball joints i gave him a funky look cause that was not the answer i was looking for. i then told him i was cutting the front end off in a month or so. he then gave me a weird look. to clafify things, do balljoints even sound like a possibilty?
Im an OG

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2004, 08:53:27 PM »
I think some may call it the clutch throwout bearing
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2004, 09:39:42 PM »
the throw out bearings run at about 25 bucks at napa
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

Skinny_Pedal [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2004, 09:48:35 PM »
i just had the clutch replaced about 9 months ago. id be pist if this bearing already went out
Im an OG

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2004, 12:30:50 AM »
when i let off the gas or give it gas the truck rattles/grind noise occurs. i swear that the noise is coming somewhere in the tranny/tcase area.

Nope, it can not be the release bearing unless you are acutally using the clutch. If your clutch is adjusted properly, then the release bearing is not even moving if the clutch pedal is all the way up. Release bearings will only show symptoms when you actually use the clutch, and then the sound would go away once you let the pedal back up.

i asked the autotech teacher and he said sounded like ball joints?

Yup, that's what I would say. Better take off your rear drive line and check it's joints.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2004, 01:18:55 AM »
when i let off the gas or give it gas the truck rattles/grind noise occurs. i swear that the noise is coming somewhere in the tranny/tcase area.

Nope, it can not be the release bearing unless you are acutally using the clutch. If your clutch is adjusted properly, then the release bearing is not even moving if the clutch pedal is all the way up. Release bearings will only show symptoms when you actually use the clutch, and then the sound would go away once you let the pedal back up.

OK, I understand :biggthumpup:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2004, 10:24:59 AM »
That's why if you want your release bearing to last longer, try to not use your clutch.

What I am saying is this: When I went through traffic school and drivers education, the instructors told me that when I am sitting at a red light, I should have the tranny in 1st gear and the clutch down (of course) and waiting for the green light. This is so that if there is an emergency, like some aliens from outter space are about to crash above my car, I dont have to spend the split nano-second to engage 1st, I can just let the clutch out and go. Even when I did my drivers test in my moms 87 Toy 4Runner with a 5 speed, I kept the tranny in gear and kept the clutch down for 4-way stops, stop lights, even in parking lots. BUT COME ON YOUR STUPID IDIOT INSTRUCTIONS! THIS WILL WEAR OUT THE RELEASE BEARING!!! AARRGGGG

Look, don't come to me and tell me that I cant engage 1st gear in an emergency. I DRIVE A FRICKEN MR2 FOR GOODNESS SAKES.

So when I am at a stop, it's immediately in neutral and im not using the clutch. Then when I see the cross traffic's lights are chaning to yellow, I press the clutch in, but do not engage 1st gear yet. Marlin taught me this and you might want to do this from now on. When your tranny is in neutral, everything is spinning except the output shaft. That means counter gears, all synchros, etc. Then when you press the clutch down, the tranny is released from the engine's rpm and the internals slowly coast down. But if you just quickly engage 1st gear the second you hit the clutch, then the parts are still spinning almost the same as the engine rpm, and the syncros have to work to slow everything down to allow you to engage the gear. So here's the golden advice from Marlin: When you're at a red light, put it in neutral to save the release bearing. Then when you can tell that your light will be green soon, press the clutch down but dont shift yet. Have your hand ready atop the shifter, and then once your light actually goes green, then just engage 1st gear and go. What this does is it gives the parts in side the trans time to slow down to a stop, so that when you do actually engage 1st gear, the parts are stopped and the syncros aren't even needed. So this saves the life of your release bearing and the shifting performance of your trans :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Skinny_Pedal [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2004, 08:05:44 PM »
yep u guys were right. its a ujoint. i checked it the other day and it was fine. i shook it today and seemed fine, then looked around it better and notice is cracked. ill change it tomarrow, i did my brakes today instead. thanks
Im an OG