Author Topic: Question about "stepped" flywheel  (Read 5681 times)

scott.475

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Question about "stepped" flywheel
« on: Oct 05, 2004, 04:38:36 PM »
Guys, I'm going to order up a Marlin clutch in the next day or two. I know it is important to get the flywheel stepped a certain way, so I am planning on taking it to an actual clutch shop, or at least a shop that has the right machine for doing the operation. Still, I am worried that they might tell me they can do it, but then not do it. I have always been confused about exactly what stepping is, I don't think it as obvious as I think it is. I have always thought that, if the flywheel were flat on a table, face up, and you looked at it from the edge, a certain part of the outside diameter would be cut a little deeper than the inner diameter, thereby causing a "step" between the different cuts. BUT, I have read other things that make me think that it results in more of a "dome" to the face. I just have no idea. Someone please tell me what I need to look for to make sure my flywheel has been cut right.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Question about "stepped" flywheel
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2004, 05:33:19 PM »
  well when i had mine done at the local race shop,  they used a machine to "turn"  the flywheel as the cutting head milled it on one side,  as it was turned  it was milled all the way around,  this left a kinda half moon shape all the way around the flywheel,  the took off .050
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2004, 06:19:41 PM »
Any reputable clutch/trans shop that surfaces flywheels should know exactly what to do. Shouldn't be an issue at all. When you pull the FW off it will be obvious. The surface that the disc makes contact with is raised above the surface that the pressure plate bolts to. Don't worry about it. Look at it befor you take it in, and when you get it back make sure there's still a step on the face.

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2004, 06:55:37 PM »
Call me a cheap ass...but on all three of my rigs with manuals they are running "custom lowgeared" 400 grit palm sanded flywheels.  Not only free, but never had a clutch slip a day in my life.   :twocents:
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2004, 08:55:27 PM »
From the factory, the pressure plate was designed to work with a stepped flywheel that has a .018" to .020" raised area for the disk surface.
Thur the years, and doing many, many many.... clutch jobs, I found out that by increasing the step to .026", this will wake up the clutch performance :driving:

Insist on having the flywheel machined using a fluid cooled stone grinder type machine. It cannot be machined on a lathe or any other machine.

The three 8mm dowels must be removed and both surfaces ground. Remember to insist on a .026" step.
It cannot have a domed face. It must be a flat true two step surface.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

scott.475 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2004, 09:51:38 PM »
Fireball and Marlin, perfect, thanks! The .026 steps makes the pressure plate sit closer to the flywheel, I finally get it!

Fireimp141

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 786
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2004, 07:09:59 PM »
so a .18 to a .26 step? alright
86 Toyota 4runner, 33X12.5-15 Aurora RT/02's on Series 97 15X10 rock crawlers, 3" performance body lift, Rancho RS5000's... Soon to be Marlin 1200 Clutch, tube bumper front and rear, nerf bars and roof rack... future plans include SAS 5.29's detroits!

I am the Amazing Turtle! and I'm awarding you 49 points, increasing your Turtle Points!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2004, 08:38:43 PM »

yes
Im an OG

scott.475 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2004, 03:13:03 AM »

yes

Marlin says .026, a big difference from .26. He is consistent in several posts that it should be 26 thousanths, NOT 26 hundredths

Here are the other posts I found: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=3512.0 http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2723.0  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4105.0 (3rd post from end, reply #18) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4803.0

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2004, 10:13:17 AM »

Well actually the 0.026" is the actual difference between the two surfaces. The person who is surfacing the flywheel only has one measurement to decided on. The two surfaces are the clutch's frictional surface and the surface that the pressure plate bolts down on. Therefore, if these two surfaces have a greater difference, ie the clutch friction surface is higher than the pressure plate bolting surface, then the area between the pressure plate and the flywheel is decreased, so the clutch is in effect tighter.

The effect of this will be that the actual friction "point" on the down travel of the clutch will be moved higher. That's how you can tell if your clutch is worn out. A new clutch should have a friction "point" of somewhere near the end of the clutch pedal movement, and a badly worn out clutch will have a friction "point" almost at the very beginning of the clutch pedal movement.

As the clutch disk wears, it gets thinner, and less expansion between the flywheel and the pressure plate is needed in order to release the clutch; in this case your foot doesn't have to really press the pedal down so far and the clutch is already disengaged.

So by surfacing the flywheel beyond what Toyota recommends, you are placing the pressure plate closer to the clutch disk, so more clutch pedal movement is required to disengage the clutch.

Now this is good for the following reasons:
  • The clutch will last longer because these is less space for it to work with, so it will still be working even when it is badly worn and very thin, it will still work.
  • Since the space is decreased yet the clutch is still the same thickness, the pressure plate will actually "grip" the clutch at a higher level of force because the springs in the press. plate will be displaced at a greater distance. Spring rate is equal to the spring constant x distance. So the more the pressure plate is "opened" the greater the spring force. So with the flywheel surfaced at a greater difference than what Toyota recommends, now the pressure plate has to open up more to "let go" of the clutch.
  • The above reason amounts to better gripping force from the pressure plate, so the clutch Performance is increased due to more friction, as Marlin said in his post above.

The only bad thing about doing this is that when you first do it and your clutch is fresh and thick, the clutch pedal will have to be pressed almost all of the way to the floor just to release the clutch. This is great because the clutch frictional pressures are greater, BUT, this means that it will be more difficult to speed-shift (hehe if you even do that with a truck ::)) and if you have a bad habit of not pressing the clutch pedal all the way down before shifting, then there will still be some friction on the clutch disk, and when ever you shift, the synchros need to change the speed of the input of the trans - which is connected to the clutch disk right? So if you only press the clutch pedal down about 60% when it really needs ohh say 80% to really completely release the clutch disk, then the clutch isn't completely released, and when you shift, the synchros will be trying to change the speed of the clutch disk and of course the frictional forces still acting on the clutch disk are pretty high for a little synchro to act against, so this can be very detrimental to your transmission shifting performance if you do not use the clutch correctly.

And through all of the many years of experience, Marlin has found out that the flywheel surface difference of 0.026" offers the best clutch performance while still being able to disengage the clutch disk from the drivers seat. For instance, if you were to try, or say 0.030" or something, when you put it all back together, it's likely that even with the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor, the clutch could still be engaged and you would never ever be able to shift at all if the engine is on or if you are traveling at speeds greater than 5mph or so.

So surface your flywheel to 0.026" and be happy with the results! :beerchug:
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2004, 10:50:42 AM »
Boy your long winded. Did you get that from your dad?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2004, 10:53:34 AM »
jealous

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2004, 11:16:50 AM »
Well I for one would like to welcome the retrun of "tech master mike"

a fitting replacement for the viking cat overlords!

---> bf :bowdown:  :king: <---bm
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2004, 11:30:02 AM »
viking cat overlords!

Dont start that crap again  :trout:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2004, 11:38:42 AM »
what? you dowt the power of the Viking cat overlords?  :screwy:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2004, 11:52:44 AM »
here we go again :smack: :disturbed:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2004, 12:41:04 PM »
:clap2:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2004, 09:16:40 AM »
 :hammer: :screwy: