Author Topic: taco rear spring sag. need advice updated 6/16  (Read 4545 times)

79yota350

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
taco rear spring sag. need advice updated 6/16
« on: Apr 12, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
i need help figuring out what to do with the springs on the back of my taco.  they are past flat.  anyone know a place in norther california that can re arch springs or how can i fix it.  i use my truck to tow mostly so i dont need a ton of flex.  it does have blocks in the back tho.  maybe there is a way to get more arch and lose the blocks?  

« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2009, 03:22:02 PM by 79yota350 »

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
Re: taco rear spring sag.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »
what yr is the taco, my buddys 08 had a recall on his
and are those the 63" taco leafs cause some 1/2 ton 88-98 chevy rear leafs will give u some lift and might have the center pin in the right spot  to be a direct swap.

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »
its a 99 taco.  ill post some pics later tonight.  i dont have many tools here so id have to take it to a shop anyway to swap them. 

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »
Re-arching does not work, they will be flat in a month.

Get rid of those blocks, they make the spring wrap more making them go flat.

Invest in some tools so you can do the work yourself and learn something.

How much of a lift do you have?

Try and find some aftermarket springs with the same lift. Before I went with longer springs I ran SkyJacker Softrides and they worked pretty good.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »
no clue on the lift.  i think its a 3" suspension lift.  i guess i could measure the spacer in the front and back. got the truck like that.  i have a full shop with all the tools i need i just dont have time to drive 3 hours to it.  ill need some pretty firm springs because i tow with it not wheel it.  ahh i see you can still use the overload spring with them.

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
holy. :yikes:  those are 435 bucks!!!!!   my word thats pricy.....  im looking for a cheaper alternative.

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »
check the local junckyards for some 63" chevies

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »
how bout spending 350 for some nice allpro 3" springs?

http://www.allprooffroad.com/9504tacomarearsuspension/9504leafsprings

I had some 5" in my old tacoma and they were great

EDIT: I didnt tow with them but they were nice and arched even with a huge load (till i modified them and pulled two leafs out for more flex) but at least youd get rid of the block
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:52:20 PM »
yea i was just looking at that.  they say not recomended for towing but they would probly be fine.  ill probly go for the all pros.

its a 3" tuff country lift....:(   ill just add the 3" allpros to the rear and call it good.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2009, 06:02:15 PM by 79yota350 »

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2009, 10:26:40 PM »
Yeah dude im pretty sure theyd be fine. Itd be even more legit if you had some rancho 9000s or something and you could turn the shock up to nice and stiff when youre towing. like i said, theyre fine up untill you mess with taking a leaf out cause they obviously get softer, sag a little, and cant take a load as well...

how big of a load are you towing, the weight on the ball?

GET IT!!!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
if you are towing, you should look into add a leafs or spring helpers like an air ride, or air lift helper spring system
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2009, 11:20:18 PM »
trailer is about 200 on the ball loaded. with about 250 in the bed. so not a lot of weight.  i just dont need all the flex and what not because my trailer is only a foot off the ground.  eventually ill raise the trailer.  i think the allpros will work just fine.  wish they were on sale like the other springs tho :(  im not towing enough weight to need air shocks.   thanks for all the help btw.   on a side note if i do a rear u bolt flip and have to weld the new shock mounts do i mount them one front of axle and one on back like they are stock or do i mount them both on the back? 

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2009, 09:03:17 AM »
so 450 pounds in the bed/on the ball isnt much. those springs should handle it just fine.

you could mount them however you want. if you want to use the stock top mounts though you will probably want to do it like they do stock, one in front and one in back.

GET IT!!!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »
i would get some air bags
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2009, 09:55:39 AM »
I had all-pros also. I never really towed with mine. I did haul a couple loads of almond wood in the back, and they held an arch after some heavy loads. I took the bottom leaf out to level the ride hieght out alittle.  I would leave that in if your towing though.

Aig bags or spring helpers would help, but De-arched spring are a common problem on tacomas. too much axle wrap ecspecially with lift blocks on the stock springs.  :twocents:
stupid people shouldn't have kids.

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
one last noob question.  do i need to pull the axle shafts before i weld on the shock tabs or can i just do it with the axle complete.  and should i use long or short tabs?  and ill just go for the new springs.  bags are around 200 bucks and wont really "fix" the problem.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2009, 11:54:08 AM »
My personal opinion is that you're wasting your money if you purchase a replacement spring that is designed primarily for off road use (i.e. soft ride and travel) when you're planned use is towing.  Even if they can "handle" the load without going flat, the decreased spring rate will force you to run extrememly firm shocks to avoid bouncing down the road.  This can become a handling issue related to safety.

If you get a Superlift/Pro Comp type of lift the springs maintain a spring rate that is closer to stock.  The majority of people that have problems with this type of spring use them for more aggressive off roading than they were designed for.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »
one last noob question.  do i need to pull the axle shafts before i weld on the shock tabs or can i just do it with the axle complete.  and should i use long or short tabs?  and ill just go for the new springs.  bags are around 200 bucks and wont really "fix" the problem.

You would need bags in combination with the soft springs.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 13, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »
ok the trailer in question here has a dry weight of 900 lbs.  so wet and loaded its about 1250 tops.. the tongue weight is next to nothing i can move it around the yard by hand.  i put about 250 tops in the bed when camping, plus the campershell and kayak.  so overall its not a heavy load at all.  Even with this weight you think the allpros will be to soft?  thanks again for the info im just trying to pick the right setup.  im also having trouble finding the pro comp and superlift leafs for the 99 taco... 

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 13, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
ok the trailer in question here has a dry weight of 900 lbs.  so wet and loaded its about 1250 tops.. the tongue weight is next to nothing i can move it around the yard by hand.  i put about 250 tops in the bed when camping, plus the campershell and kayak.  so overall its not a heavy load at all.  Even with this weight you think the allpros will be to soft?  thanks again for the info im just trying to pick the right setup.  im also having trouble finding the pro comp and superlift leafs for the 99 taco... 

I run Alcan springs that have a higher spring rate than a Marlin or All Pro spring and my 4Runner gets soft when I'm loaded up for camping, or four adults plus the Rottweiler in the back.  It's not bad with the Rancho 9000 shocks, but it wasn't pretty with the Bilsteins.

You just have to know what your expecting.  Why purchase springs that were not designed for your intended use?  :headscratch:

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 13, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »
im still having trouble finding a 3" leaf for the 99 tacoma in the pro comp or superlift.  any links would be greatly appreciated.  or a place you can direct me to where i may find them.  i search for them but cant find 3" rears.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 13, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
im still having trouble finding a 3" leaf for the 99 tacoma in the pro comp or superlift.  any links would be greatly appreciated.  or a place you can direct me to where i may find them.  i search for them but cant find 3" rears.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/1995-04_Tacoma.html

http://skyjacker.com/products/products_search/detail/?id=152042

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »
ty kind sir.  you think those downeys are close to the stock spring spec?  its hard for me to tell with the springs i have now because there all flat so the ride is a hard in the back.  hopefully they will be softer.  the front rides like a caddi and the back like a lowrider.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »
I'd call Downey and ask.  I've never run them, but I'm positive that a Downey springs will be much closer to stock than a Marlin or All Pro spring.

FYI -  A lift spring often times will feel more firm than a stock springs.  The reason is that arch is a factor in the overall spring rate.  You can have the same spring rate in a different arch and the one with more arch will feel more firm.

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 15, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
do i need to pull the axle shafts when welding the new shock tabs on the axle?

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 15, 2009, 09:34:27 PM »
nope

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »
update.  im thinking of just tossing in a tuff country 3" add a leaf.  the blocks in the back measure 2 1/2 in the front.  will an add a leaf be enough to shape the springs back or are the springs too far gone.  opinions please. thanks

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net

That much reverse-arch, every few months just flip the springs over.  HAHA that would be funny.
If you see it, its for sale.

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
what exactly are you towing with that thing.... ???

i have trouble pulling my crawler and trailer with a 4.7l tundra so if your pulling anything like that well, you shouldnt
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

79yota350 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
lol. its a 900 lbd camp trailer dry.  about 1100 tops loaded.  i can move it around by hand.  eventually im going to swap axles and run larger tires on the trailer so i can get farther out in the boonies.  ordered 3" add a leafs today going to see if i can get 2 1/2 out of it.  if not ill just replace the whole leafs.