Author Topic: What should I drive to Tahoe  (Read 4714 times)

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
What should I drive to Tahoe
« on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »
Im going to Tahoe this weekend, gonna snowboard Kirkwood sat, and heavenly sunday. What should I drive from Fresno, my gf's 06 nissan Altima, or my rig, 88 4runner sas'd with 33's going about 65 max, can never go by the weather report, Im leanin towards the altima :dunno:
I dont want to have to chain up though :yikes: what are your guys thoughts?
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: What should I drive to Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
take the 4x4
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »
ah take the altima it will be fine
if you dont plan doin some extra wheelin

I think being cozy will make for a better trip

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:08:41 PM »
I'd take the altima.  Even if you do have to chain up, its no big deal. 

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

84xcab

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 261
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »
You probably already know, but the forecast says rain with possible snow showers. You can never be to safe so carry chains and if their is a need to chain up be sure to obey the speed limit and not only watch out for yourself, but also other drivers. You never know when somebody else is gonna do somthing stupid that could put other peoples lives in danger. Have fun :thumbs:
Bobbed 84 xtra cab, pickin up parts as I go.

If at first you do not succeed, put it in 4low and try again.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:20:14 AM »
Let us know how Kirkwood was, I used to manage the operations/maintenance for 8 years  :gap:

Oh yeah take the 4x4.

Joey88RUNR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:38:03 AM »
I really dont want to drive my rig, i can cruise bout 80 in the altima!
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:46:57 AM »
i say take the car and bring chains. are you planing on driving around at night? is gunna be kinda warm during the days so the road should be fine but at night everything freezes.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:10:20 AM »
The 4x4 for sure - but careful dude it's supposed to storm all weekend.  May want to reschedule.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Joey88RUNR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:02:17 AM »
No rescheduling, we payed big money to rent a cabin in So lake tahoe :driving:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:03:29 AM »
No rescheduling, we payed big money to rent a cabin in So lake tahoe :driving:

Then I recommend you get chains for your rig... cuz they're requiring chains regardless how big your tires are. 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »
Call this number..... 800 427-7623

It's the CalTrans highway condition info. It's updated like every 5 minutes to let you know what the road conditions are like.  :thumbs:

I know this may sound like an old person talking but.... if you don't already do this, it would be a good idea to bring something warm like a blanket and some food and water to keep in the car for the trip. Only in the event that you get stuck on the road. We hit traffic on the way up here last Fri due to a couple of accidents from people who just wouldn't slow down and it looked like we might be stuck there a good while not knowing what the traffic was all about.   :tantrum:

The road wasn't closed but people had to chain up. I hate chains so I bought a 4X4.  :gap:  Besides if they close the road it doesn't matter what you're driving.  :-\

We're heading down the mountain today and so far the road is still open and should be today and they're still saying there is a chain requirement. I  :love: 4WD.  :yupyup:

Good luck and and have a safe and fun trip!  :thumbs:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
Then I recommend you get chains for your rig... cuz they're requiring chains regardless how big your tires are. 

:nope:  Its chains or 4x4 with M/S rated tires.  They don't have a rule in place that is chains only, they close the roads before that.

just checked NOAA.gov, the website we use for our weather updates.  In my experience it tends to be a tad more accurate than some of the other weather websites.  It looks like you're good for friday, but snow on sunday.  I still say take the altima.  In the snow, you'll be going slow regardless of what you're in, and if you've got chains, you're good to go.  Like fordh8r said, make sure you've got some warm clothes, and stock up the cooler as well.  Even if you aren't really stuck for a long time, a can of chili stuck on the block for 20 minutes or so sure hits the spot :gap:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »
:nope:  Its chains or 4x4 with M/S rated tires.  They don't have a rule in place that is chains only, they close the roads before that.

I'm wrong again :doh:

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:36:17 AM »
Take the 4Runner just in case. You can't do 80 mph :yikes: when chains are required anyway.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »
Take the 4Runner just in case. You can't do 80 mph :yikes: when chains are required anyway.

Perhaps,  but I'd rather do the other 220 miles or so at 80 mph and have to chain up then do the 220 miles at 65, in less comfort, and still have to go 30 for the remainder.  :gap: 

-Ronald Reagan

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »
true but i would still take the 4runner
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »
man up in your 4runner, you should be able to do 80 with 33's

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »
man up in your 4runner, you should be able to do 80 with 33's
:werd: Why have the runner if you're gonna bring the car anyway.  :dunno: I don't see how the car is that much more comfy than the runner unless the seats in your runner are trashed. Your heater works, right? :headscratch:

As far as doing 80MPH.... if you're in that much of a hurry just leave earlier.  :yupyup:  Don't get in a rush, that's how things go bad.  :thumbdown:

Joey88RUNR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:52:13 PM »
Perhaps,  but I'd rather do the other 220 miles or so at 80 mph and have to chain up then do the 220 miles at 65, in less comfort, and still have to go 30 for the remainder.  :gap: 
Thats what im talking about!

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »
Don't get in a rush, that's how things go bad.  :thumbdown:
And this is what we are talking about.

That is how I got my 4Runner parts truck. Last May a friend & his family were cruising back from Tahoe & got to Ice House road where it opens to 2 lanes. A kid was in a hurry & started passing people, lost control & t-boned my friends 4Runner. The kid was doing 70+ when he hit the driver side rock slider. The 4Runner rolled 4 times. My friend still has back problems, his wife has leg problems, his son was bruised & 2 large dogs were thrown out on the 2nd roll according to witnesses.

:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:34:25 PM »
when im at work (local skipark) its really annoying to have to push people who have a small car with or without chains on out of the way because they cant get traction. and personally, if i might encounter snow, i really like to have 4x4 as an option in case it gets bad on me. :twocents: so id vote take teh runner and go a little slower than the altima would allow you. :dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

pyrosnow911

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 418
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
And this is what we are talking about.

That is how I got my 4Runner parts truck. Last May a friend & his family were cruising back from Tahoe & got to Ice House road where it opens to 2 lanes. A kid was in a hurry & started passing people, lost control & t-boned my friends 4Runner. The kid was doing 70+ when he hit the driver side rock slider. The 4Runner rolled 4 times. My friend still has back problems, his wife has leg problems, his son was bruised & 2 large dogs were thrown out on the 2nd roll according to witnesses.

i feel ya on that, i did this oct 11 2008 while i was up at school. still have some back issues and my hand is stiff sometimes. blind turn at night going the speedlimit, but should have been slower.

pyrosnow911

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 418
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2009, 04:17:47 PM »
OOOH OOUUCCHHH! Hope you've gotten over the worse part of yer injuries there pyrosnow911. :o

We just got back from Tahoe and, as for today, the road was clear and easy to drive on without much worry.  :thumbs: But we all know how the weather there can change rather quickly. I just hope it holds out for you Joeyotaman for your trip.  :thumbs:

Although, we did have some jack  :moon: that thought he should be doing like 65 down the mountain while towing a small trailer. I let him by in hopes he wouldn't cause me to be stuck in traffic behind his wrecked  :pokinit:.  Long story short we caught up to him near the bottom of the hill cause he got stuck behind a slow moving snow plow.  :haha:

Joey88RUNR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »
you guys are scaring me.....seeing those pics makes me NOT want to take the 4runner, I pray that mine lives a long life! :gap:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
You'll be fine.  :thumbs:  We're just saying, don't be one of 'those guys' that thinks because he has a 4WD you can drive faster than anybody on the hill in bad weather conditions. Ice has no prejudice to the vehicle it destroys. Just play it safe and play it smart. We'd rather see you get there and back in one piece and most of all have a good time.  :thumbs:

Have you checked the snow conditions at the ski areas? there really wasn't a ton of snow in Tahoe. I'm only asking so you don't drive all that way for lousy conditions.  :wall:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »

I grew up in Colorado so chaining up is a foreign concept to me, but @ 80 mph avg the trip would be 2 hours and 45 minutes and @ 60 mph avg it would be about 3 hours and 40 minutes.  So is an extra hour worth not having to stop and install chains?

I drive my rig from WA to Moab and the Rubicon around 65 mph so it can be done.  If you were going farther then it might be worth the trade, but over an hour?
 :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Joey88RUNR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
yea im a good driver in the snow, i snowboard here in our mountains all the time with snow on the road, im a good driver,
yea the conditions look awesome so far kirkwood has been getting over 10 inches a day seems like these past few,
and i live for snowboarding powder so if it snows, that doesnt bother me, just cover up :yupyup: