Author Topic: What front axle for 37's and 22RE?  (Read 4005 times)

atvtrailrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
What front axle for 37's and 22RE?
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »

I have a brand new project. Just picked up an 89 with a bad motor. Started pulling the motor so i can put in a rebuilt long block. Anyhow I want to start looking for a front axle to get rid of the IFS.

What should I get for the front? I plan on a full locker, not sure which one, and running 37's with the 22RE motor. I usally tend to overbuild. I don't want it to break on the trail. But I also don't want something so big that it adds too much weight......

Thanks for the help.....
--
86 Toy Crawler in progress ........
88 4 Runner 4.3 Vortec
85 Toyota Pickup

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: What front axle for 37's and 22RE?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:52:45 PM »
First of all!   :welcome:   

As for axle we need to know how deep your wallet is?  95% of us run the stock birfield axle!  Now with Marlin's lower bearing caps that upgrades the bearings from 17mm to 25mm.   :king:  Or you can get the FJ80/60 axle, or buy a Diamond axle, or All-Pro's front Birf/D60, or a right diff D44/D60/D70.  Then the Rockwell axle is possible. 

Just start reading posts on some of our buildups!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

atvtrailrider [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:19:54 PM »
How much difference in cost are we talking? How much would one of the reverse cut FJ80/60 axles cost vs a stock birfield axle? That would be out of a 84-85 correct? And are they hard to find?

--
88 4 Runner 4.3 Vortec
85 Toyota Pickup

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:12:35 PM »
Stock pickup/4runner solid axles are pretty stout units. Some people push them harder than others, so the upgrades are there. Some are pricey, and some are relatively cheap (you wouldn't have to buy many stock birf's to equal one of long's). That is what cheesemaker was saying. You can find deals for the stock front yota housings for anywhere from $150 and up. The cheaper ones usually cost the most to build, but you can save in the long run if you build before you install (no sense in paying for a lot of parts you are not going to use). Look in the for sale section, and you can get an idea of the cost you will be looking at. If you are going to run what you buy, do a good inspection (I would go ahead and rebuild the knuckles anyway).

The aftermarket housings are guaranteed to be right, so that is another option.

Then there are all of the other choices of axles: dana's, cruisers, full-width, 1-tons.

Look around and read up on the different ones, and figure where your "duty demand" will fall in the range of choices.

All that being said, what have you wheeled? on what (sand, rocks, mud, and/or trails)? and for how long? All of this should be taken into consideration before just hacking the IFS off. I am running IFS, and have more front crossmember clearance than I would have under my front axle (if it were solid) with the same size tires. Some people will say that the IFS is too weak. Yes, for some it is (especially those with the on/off throttle foot). But, for what it is, it is very strong. There are people on this board who crawl rocks with IFS (and they beat on them pretty hard) including some with crawlboxes. There are also people who say that they are better off for having started out on IFS, before swapping. With the IFS, you have to pay better attention to WHAT you are doing and HOW you are doing it, rather than just driving over something.

My :twocents: would be this. Put the engine in and wheel it. If you are dead set on swapping the axle in, find one and get it and all your parts ready to install it under the truck, then go out and see exactly how strong the IFS is. Go find some friends who have solid axles, and follow them. You will be surprised at how much the IFS will take. Then, If you do disable the IFS beyond repair, pull out your parts and go for it.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:36:57 PM »
If you ask me it's a no brainer. I would run 30 spline long fields. Big bang for the buck, you can make your birfs as strong as dana 60 axels and retailn your toyota third which means lots of part availability epecially if you wheel with other guys that have toyotas.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
Stock toyota axle!!! Just buy all the stuff for it, longfields, highsteer, inner hubs, highpinion diff, trusses, Diff armor, and studs. Im running all that on 37s and have not broken a thing yet. Yes i beat on it pretty hard.
You'll never take me alive

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:12:42 PM »
Definitely run toyota mini truck axle.  They are great.  Very reliable once you beef them up.  I never broke anything in my front axle and i run a detroit up front as well.  And we wheel the hammers, rubicon anywere in the southwest, with no problems.  Anything over a 37inch tire i would step up to a 60 but with 37's your good.  Also would recommend highsteer, longfields and longfield hub gears as well.  Its a proven combination that works pretty much better than a stock 60.  Also the narrower toyota axle seems to get through some tight spots a little easier
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »
I couldn't agree more. Long fields are the ticket. I have ran other so called axel upgrads, nothing that I have seen compares to 30 splines at least for a toyota axel.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »
37's or less no need  for anything more than a toyota.....
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:39:50 PM »
Toyota 8" solid front axle with the goods.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »
I had a factory toyota axle with all the goodies at mcr7 and it had me wanting more width. Now some might say thats what wheel spacers or 2.5 bs wheels are for but didnt feel comfortable witht that. So i went with a diamond housing and they are sweet. I wish i would have done it from the beginning. But everything depends on $$$$. If i could do it over i would have my exact axle and maybe try a HP e-locker instead of the HP detroit. But i am building a 87 4runner for my dad and he wanted to save money and use a 85 front housing and he will be running a 22re, duals and 37" mtr's.  :beer:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:34:40 PM »
I say run the IFS until it falls off.  You'll be a better driver for it, and as mentioned above, its pretty stout for what it is.  I'm just now switching from IFS to SFA, ran 37"s on it for a while, then dropped to 35"s (couldn't afford 37"s at the time)  dual t-cases, locked front and rear.  I beat on the truck, and it always pulled through for me, had some breakage here and there, but that happens from time to time.  It wasn't until last sept. that it really started falling apart on me, and thats after 5 years of pretty hard wheeling.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:56:11 AM »
I say 5 ton rockwells.  :biggthumpup:

atvtrailrider [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:22:27 PM »
Ok you guys have sold me on a stock Toyota axle. Now what year do I need one out of? Does it matter?   slolyfe said "highpinion diff", was that in certain years or?
--
88 4 Runner 4.3 Vortec
85 Toyota Pickup

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »
i like 79-80   most guy like 84-85
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »
60 and a 14 bolt :beer: :biggthumpup:
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »
Doesn't matter to much on the years, their all good.  But most people run the 84-85
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2009, 05:38:26 AM »
84-85 if it were me. Good luck. :beer:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
Ok you guys have sold me on a stock Toyota axle. Now what year do I need one out of? Does it matter?   slolyfe said "highpinion diff", was that in certain years or?

79-85 had solid front axles from the factory, the earlier onces did not have as much factory trussing on them as the 84-85. thats the only difference, but its not like you couldnt imitate what Toyota did to beef up earlier models yourself. None of the 79-85 came with high pinion difs, those are out of later model 80 series Land Cruisers.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2009, 11:55:13 AM »
I say 5 ton rockwells.  :biggthumpup:

x2

a toy axle can only handle up to 33 not locked of course. If you put a locker in the front, better not go over stock 29s! unless you want to change birfields every 10 minutes.  If you buy Bobbly longs then you would be able to run a 33 with a locker but thats IT!
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
a toy axle can only handle up to 33 not locked of course. If you put a locker in the front, better not go over stock 29s! unless you want to change birfields every 10 minutes.  If you buy Bobbly longs then you would be able to run a 33 with a locker but thats IT!

:rofl2: And the solid axles (stock) are supposed to be so much better and stronger than the IFS? I guess I can't even roll my truck out of the driveway with the 36's on it. Guess I'm really doing the impossible. :yupyup:

I have witnessed heavy footed drivers who have run 39's on stock birfs, and they lasted for a good while.

I also had a friend who ran 44's on a DD, lincoln locked in the rear, stock birfs and stock rear shafts.

I have also witnessed a longfield break on 36's with a locker.

If you beat on any of them too hard, yeah, you'll break them.

There are NO hard guidelines on what will and won't work. It all depends on what YOU are going to expect YOUR rig to do.

And remember, the manufacturers of most aftermarket rims say that the largest recommended tire diameter for use on a 15" rim is 32".

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:41:32 PM »
I can tell ya Detroits and stock Birfs do NOT mix with 36" Swampers

my buddy (God help him) breaks birfs very easily

I have the same axle and tires but am open in the front and I have still broken a birf
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »
i like to start off with 79-80 front axle without the tuss on the bottom   that give you a lil clearance than 81-85 . i just gusset the ball knuckle part . 
i have ran stock birfs locked front and rear  for acouple years and haven't  break a birf yet  but my friend on the other hand broke his birf everytime we are out . we have same style of driving the only different is his truck is lil heavier
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2009, 09:39:53 AM by TRACKER »
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »
x2

it was a joke....
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2009, 04:46:56 AM »
 :willynilly: Your joke was blending in with the people who really believe that! :rofl2:

SAVE TELLICO post 491

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 10, 2009, 09:29:47 AM »
i think ifs is your best bet....  :therethere: