Author Topic: Won't Turn Left  (Read 4087 times)

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
Won't Turn Left
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
I have a 85 4runner with  :turtle: crossover steering setup.  My question is when im in 2wheel drive it turns equally as good left and right.  But in 4wheel drive it turns the same right but wont turn as far left.  Not exactlly sure why.  Could it be I didnt install my longfields right?  Besides this problem everything else works great!  Any suggestions? :dunno:
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Re: Won't Turn Left
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »
When you installed the cross-over-steering did you adjust the limiting bump stops from center or '0'?
Need a little more info reguarding the steering limits in 4WD compared to 2WD, installed parts, how you made adjustments etc.
DanS
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2009, 06:06:52 PM by DanS »
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »
probably didnt get the pitman arm on centered with the steering sector shaft, you can adjust the drag link a good bit and get it to turn more to the left,  let see :headscratch:  make your drag link a little shorter, that should help your turning left
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

sweetmeat [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »
My bad.  As far as parts, its a  :turtle: basic crossover kit with billet arms and links with I.F.S. box.  Just your basic setup with a detroit locker.  I did adjust the bumps when i installed it about a year ago.  Been having this problem for a while.  I'm a little slow.  I could adjust my drag link but it seems funny cause in 2wheel it turns just fine.  When i installed my steering i basically built the whole truck so i cant really pin point it
Wrecked4x4.com

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
1. Make sure the pitman arm is lined up with the witness mark on the selector shaft.

2. Disconnect the draglink and center the steering box.

3. Put it on jackstands and check the it steers the same from right to left.

4. Set the wheels so they are pointed straight ahead

5. Adjust the draglink to the centered pitman/steering box.

6. If the steering wheel is not straight, take it off and reposition it.

It could be the locker that is holding it, but usually they are hard to steer both ways, Ram-assist will help that.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

sweetmeat [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »
Already done all that a few times.  My buds keep telling me its the locker but their trucks are set up the same and steer equal both ways.  Mine does to but only in 2wheel.  Maybe their right.  I'd love to go hydro assist when the time permits itself
Wrecked4x4.com

sweetmeat [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
And its not that its hard to steer, it wont steer.  It hits a stop, or somethin feels like its all the way against the bumps but its not.  The wheel turns twice as sharp to the right than it does left.  Completely puzzled cause like I said it only does this in 4wheel.  When its in 2wheel it steers perfectly both directions :dunno:
Wrecked4x4.com

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:58:41 PM »
Did you have to clearence the inside of the balls when you put the Longs in? Have you set it on stands and put it in 4-wheel with it running and tried to turn it?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

sweetmeat [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »
No i didn't have to clearance the longs when i put them in they slid right in no problem.  Kinda funny cause most of my friends had to.  I'll try putting it on stands this weekend.  Go from there i guess :dunno:
Wrecked4x4.com

yota_kid

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 68
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
let me know what you find out  cuz i am haveing the same problem on mine. right but all most no left.  :confused: running marlin hy-steer, marlin outters and an aussie locker oh yeah and 38s" i think that is the problem just need hydro asst?
F.B.M
93 xtended cab spool with 5.29's and aussie locker & 5.29 up front, dual stock marlin cases, 38" tsl, marlin hy-steer, sas, allpro t-case break and long travel springs frame bobbed 17" rear axle moved  forward 11" from stock, custom flat bed and soon to get exo

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2009, 11:22:40 AM »
Didn't see it mentioned, still odd that switching in/.out of 2wd causes/releases the binding.

A birf can crack/break and bind steering in one/both directions.

Jack up the front end, 2wd, wheels turn normally, lock hubs, no longer able to turn right?  That's just ODD.

Maybe the birf is cracked, once you engage 4wd, the axle loads up enough and causes the birf to move enough that causes binding.   

Hydro will just allow you to push through the problem and really break stuff!  :D

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »
Just turn right 3 times and you'll never have to turn left.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »
It doesn't sound like the problem is with the steering.  My bet is that it has something to do with one of the birfs.  Try putting the front axle on jack stands, unbolt the tie rods, put in in 4wd and try to turn your front wheels left to right by hand.  If one side binds up before it hits the steering stops, then you know what side your problem is on.  Then you can dissasemble the knuckle to figure out what is up with it.  If you have a bent front axle housing, it might cause one of the birfs to hang up inside the knuckles too.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"