Author Topic: Mormons.....  (Read 20958 times)

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Mormons.....
« on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »
I am one :outtahere:, but out of curiosity...

What do you know about the religion?
What are your opinions about the members of The Latter Day Saints?
Why, in your opinion, is this christian sect perceived as a cult?

Free to discussion by anyone. I just ask that everyone keeps this clean and no bashing goes down. :thumbs:
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Mormons.....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:56:35 PM »
I am one :outtahere:, but out of curiosity...

What do you know about the religion?
What are your opinions about the members of The Latter Day Saints?
Why, in your opinion, is this christian sect perceived as a cult?

Free to discussion by anyone. I just ask that everyone keeps this clean and no bashing goes down. :thumbs:

Not much.

Most that I've met seem decent...but, like any other group some can be a pain. Most will agree to disagree on beliefs.

Because of religious politics and because they aren't the norm...kind of the way traditional Dr's view (or used to) Chiropractors.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

COToy91 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »
Because of religious politics and because they aren't the norm...kind of the way traditional Dr's view (or used to) Chiropractors.

interesting comparison

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
Hmmmm, I wouldn't have tagged you as a Mormon.  That's interesting...
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »
My wife is one and I want 7 wifes can you talk to someone for me

:usa:  :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »
:rofl:
'88 X-cab, V6

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »

Wow...why in hell...do you feel guilty for having a good life and feel the need to make it suck?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:14:12 PM »
Wow...why in hell...do you feel guilty for having a good life and feel the need to make it suck?

:rofl:  :yesnod:
except BACON

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »

:rofl:  :yesnod:

One thing is for certain...you get more wives, you ain't ever talking again!

(sorry...thread theft)

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:26:27 PM »
With 7 wives he'll never get a word in edgewise...  :rofl2:
'88 X-cab, V6

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:58:14 AM »
They took control of Howard Hughes and stole billions of dollars from him.   Then they drugged him to death.

Other than that I'm fine with them. 
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:04:46 AM »
Howard Hughes is dead?  :yikes:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:54:23 AM »
Then they drugged him to death.

I thought his doctor did that...or was that Elvis?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:00:05 AM »
Sorry, the Latter Day Saints do not believe in polygamy.

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »
I know they are supposed to have a years supply of food.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »

It is highly recommended to have food storage for an emergency... especially with the way our world is going.... you never know what is going to happen....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
no real problems w/ anyone. i could care less what religion somebody is. treat me w/ respect and you will get respect in return..   :thumbs:
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

COToy91 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:56:33 AM »
Hmmmm, I wouldn't have tagged you as a Mormon.  That's interesting...

Some of my political views probably are not in line with what you would expect them to be. At the same time though every time it is voting season the first presidency puts out a letter saying that the church is neutral and to vote where your heart lies.

Yeah I would if i could afford it, plus i am the only Latter Day Saint in my family

Official Church deceleration in the Pearl of Great Price by Wilferd Woodruff that polygamy is illegal, has never been taught and is frowned upon my the church... that was in 1890

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »
Here's what I know about the mormon religion. 

-They believe in the bible and the Christ came to this earth in and died for our sins.  (location is Israel where the bible says it is)

-After his resurrection he went to heaven then came back to Latin America and preached.  I don't know details about this but I believe I'm right about this point.

-Later Joseph Smith was lead by the Angel Moroni to find the book which he later translated to the Book of Mormon.  The book of mormon is viewed to be equal to the bible and view it as a holy book.

-Mormons believe that our bodies are a holy temple and we should take care of them.  They teach that you should take care of your body and not degrade your body with substances such as alcohol, smoking, caffeine, etc. They also believe in purity and sex after marriage.

-A common misconception is that Mormons believe in poligamy.  This is untrue, but some off shoot sects do believe and practice this.

-The LSD believe in large families and that someday each family will be given a new earth to rule just like Adam and Eve.  Because of this they believe heavily in genealogy research to find their family tree. (again a loose understanding)

My personal viewpoint of the religion is that I have a hard time grasping some of the claims the church makes.  The biggest would have to be the Book of Mormon.  If there was geological proof that Jesus Christ did come to the Americas I could believe that more.  However the Bible does have proof that supports its existence and origin, unlike the Book of Mormon that is just claims of one man.

In terms of my view of the members.  Well I have had Mormon friends over the years and don't have any issues with them as a person or in what they believe.  Mostly this is because I am a Seventh Day Adventist and our morals are very similar.  As in terms of religious beliefs I haven't had serious discussions with a Mormon but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't.  Our beliefs do have some similarities with other christian faiths but obviously differ in many ways as well.

I don't specifically view Latter Day Saints as being a cult.  However just as in any other religion there are off shoots that can give them bad names and the Mormons have definitely had some.  It is unfortunate and I wish people would do a little more research into something before they go out and immediately point fingers and accuse.

There are other things that I know but I want to see if so far my understanding are correct.

COToy91 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »

Here's what I know about the mormon religion. 

-They believe in the bible and the Christ came to this earth in and died for our sins.  (location is Israel where the bible says it is)

Very true we are Christians, a common misconception

-After his resurrection he went to heaven then came back to Latin America and preached.  I don't know details about this but I believe I'm right
about this point.

Not so much Latin America, but East cost is what is the primary location is thought to be. I can elaborate more if you would like

-Later Joseph Smith was lead by the Angel Moroni to find the book which he later translated to the Book of Mormon.  The book of mormon is viewed to be equal to the bible and view it as a holy book.

Correct also here, Moroni did direct him to where the plates were located. They were written in an Egyptian script, authenticated by a third party historian or translator at the time

-Mormons believe that our bodies are a holy temple and we should take care of them.  They teach that you should take care of your body and not degrade your body with substances such as alcohol, smoking, caffeine, etc. They also believe in purity and sex after marriage.

Words of Wisdom in the Doctrine and Covenants and Chastity... Correct Again

-A common misconception is that Mormons believe in poligamy.  This is untrue, but some off shoot sects do believe and practice this.

Hit it on the nose

-The LSD believe in large families and that someday each family will be given a new earth to rule just like Adam and Eve.  Because of this they believe heavily in genealogy research to find their family tree. (again a loose understanding)

There are different levels of righteousness that are talked about in the bible.. Celestial, Terrestrial and Telestial. Its not so much our own planet lol. And we do genealogy like you said to be sealed to our families so that when the judgement happens we will be with our families for eternity. I can elaborate more here if you like also

My personal viewpoint of the religion is that I have a hard time grasping some of the claims the church makes.  The biggest would have to be the Book of Mormon.  If there was geological proof that Jesus Christ did come to the Americas I could believe that more.  However the Bible does have proof that supports its existence and origin, unlike the Book of Mormon that is just claims of one man.

Like all religions a bit of faith gets the ball rolling

In terms of my view of the members.  Well I have had Mormon friends over the years and don't have any issues with them as a person or in what they believe.  Mostly this is because I am a Seventh Day Adventist and our morals are very similar.  As in terms of religious beliefs I haven't had serious discussions with a Mormon but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't.  Our beliefs do have some similarities with other christian faiths but obviously differ in many ways as well.

Indeed they are, to each their own

I don't specifically view Latter Day Saints as being a cult.  However just as in any other religion there are off shoots that can give them bad names and the Mormons have definitely had some.  It is unfortunate and I wish people would do a little more research into something before they go out and immediately point fingers and accuse.

WE do and kinda why i started this thread. Clear up some misconceptions of the Church. www.mormon.org is a great resource just to learn about what we believe

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »
here is something to ponder....

what year was the first BLACK PERSON allowed in the LDS Church

yer comments below

except BACON

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2008, 06:35:15 PM »
They took control of Howard Hughes and stole billions of dollars from him.   Then they drugged him to death.

Ummm, that's a pretty radical spin that was made up by jealous people who were mad that Howard gave money and properties to the Church.  He gave to others too but you don't hear crazy claims about them.  :screwy:

When was anyone disallowed membership based on race?  Some of the mormon pioneers who came and settled the Salt Lake valley to escape persecution were black.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2008, 06:47:22 PM by hammerhead »
'88 X-cab, V6

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »
I have no problem with Mormons exept for the two that came to my door this morning . They knocked on my door and I didn't feel like puting on a shirt and answering the door , they sat there for a bit and then started to walk away as they were talking to my neighbor , then they decided to bypass the cement walkway and cut accross our lawn and stood on our grass talking to my neighbor's kid for about 10 minutes . Made me pretty mad but I didn't wanna be a jerk so i just sat there and ate my breakfast  :chew: . . . Other than that , the majority I've met have been really nice people . I don't know much about the religion but my aunt , uncle and a few cousins are Mormon . I've even been to the Mormon temple in Utah . Very beautiful , I like the gold Angel on top of the temple .
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:16:50 PM »
The Salt Lake Temple is an amazing building isn't it?  And to think it took over 40 years to build with no power tools.
'88 X-cab, V6

1981_toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »
Be respectful to me and all is good i dont care who you are!!!  :beerchug:

COToy91 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »
here is something to ponder....

yer comments below

They were allowed in from the begining, they were not allowed to hold the priesthood till 1978

COToy91 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »
I have no problem with Mormons exept for the two that came to my door this morning . They knocked on my door and I didn't feel like puting on a shirt and answering the door , they sat there for a bit and then started to walk away as they were talking to my neighbor , then they decided to bypass the cement walkway and cut accross our lawn and stood on our grass talking to my neighbor's kid for about 10 minutes . Made me pretty mad but I didn't wanna be a jerk so i just sat there and ate my breakfast  :chew: . . . Other than that , the majority I've met have been really nice people . I don't know much about the religion but my aunt , uncle and a few cousins are Mormon . I've even been to the Mormon temple in Utah . Very beautiful , I like the gold Angel on top of the temple .

Missionaries  can be a bit much sometimes, I am not a lifer of the church so i never went on a mission but i know how they are.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »
The Salt Lake Temple is an amazing building isn't it?  And to think it took over 40 years to build with no power tools.
Yup , beautiful . It's been about 15 years since my visit but it was beautiful .
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

95toyrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -124
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »
LDS, born and raised  :thumbs: only 17, mission comin' soon
1995 toyota 4runner, sr5, 5" sas, ome 863 coils, extended links, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=51430.0 SOLD

1996 Toyota Tacoma ex-2wd, 2rz, 3link 14"FOAs, dual ultimate cases, chevy rear, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91724.0 SOLD

2001 Taco Dcab, king coilovers, 4.56 gears, detroit, 33's, SOLD

1999 Taco extracab, 3.4 5 speed, sas'd on one tons, 37" km2's, spooled front, detroit rear, bobbed, tirecarrier, hydro asist, high steer. SOLD

2005 4runner, sway-a-way coilovers, all pro rear 3.5 springs, 285 ko2's on method NVs SOLD

2016 4unner Trail, Icon stage 6, 285/75 Toyo's, full armor

88 4runner SAS, 37's, duals, etc

COToy91 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »
LDS, born and raised  :thumbs: only 17, mission comin' soon