Author Topic: Fixing a tire bead  (Read 15161 times)

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing a tire bead
« Reply #30 on: Aug 30, 2008, 09:49:48 PM »
Thanks.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 31, 2008, 10:44:11 AM »
If the tire fails, the tube will fail too!  Because there will be no tire to hold the tube in.  All tubes do, is to create a leak proof chamber.  Bias tires leaked air, hence the creation of inner tubes.  Radials (and all bias tires for the last 20 years) have a leak proof liner built in the tires.  And once the tire has been compromised, there is no structure to hold the tube in place and the pressure in the tube will force the tube out the bad area.  Until it ruptures.  And if you were to run the tire off road only, and you air the tire down to run it.  There is a very good chance the tire will flex over and pinch the tube causing it to leak.  Also, if you get a tube, get a hose clamp on the valve stem, cause low psi will cause the stem to suck back in the wheel.  IF you get a industrial/ag tube, get one that has a air/water valve on it.  The stem comes with a "wedding ring" that helps hold the stem in place.  And the tubes are thicker.  But you will have to drill a larger valve stem hole! 

The best way to run the tire in a off road situation would be to bead lock the tire.  That way the bead locks clamp down on the tires bead, and helps hold the tire in place, even if it fails on the trail. 

We know that can't afford a new tire, we want you to be safe, and alot of us have seen this type of repair fail.  That is our concern.   
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2008, 10:50:21 AM by cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 31, 2008, 10:52:05 AM »
just get a new tire.....

why risk it?!

if you can't afford it..... then don't go wheeling..... i mean i know i'm coming off as being a jerk.... but i haven't wheeled in i can't remember how long, because i can't afford it.... sure i would love to splurge and just go wheel and not think about my bills, but that isn't reality.....

you need to keep yourself and others safe....

would a firefighter go into a burning building with a hole in his facemask?........
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #33 on: Aug 31, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »
Tubes for you, don't take a chance.......

http://www.innertubes.net/catalog/
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 31, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »
this was a dumb thread... just buy a tire, new or used. Don't risk the safety of you and everyone around you by using that POS tire. Inner tubes are kind of a PITA at low pressures anyways... just get a different tire.

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 31, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
X 2 i was thinkin that the whole time.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #36 on: Aug 31, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »
get a used tire... most tire shops sell used ones.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 31, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
get a used tire... most tire shops sell used ones.

actually most tire shops in CA don't sell used ones because of liability..... you can get used tires @ the junkyards and also @ the flea markets though

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #38 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »
You gotta be kidding me, there are used tires shops all over the place.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »

maybe where you are, but the tire shops here wont sell used tires.... i can still get them from the junkyards or from flea markets, or craigslist, but i know for a fact wheel works, firestone, sears, pepboys and america's tire company wont sell used tires..... there are a lot of smaller independents that also wont sell used tires....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #40 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »
Interesting, we are both in CA, bet I could find some used tires in your area if I were up there. Just gotta go into the low income areas and you find them. Sometimes you don't even have to do that. Now I'm not talking Firestone, Goodyear or the like but there are small little shops that sell them, they were even in Arizona when I lived there. In fact the last time I went up North with my trailer I blew a tire and bought one used. Can't remember what little city we were in but they had them. About the only restriction is they can't have more than 100 used tires in total or they will get fined for every 1 over 100 that they have.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »
Interesting, we are both in CA, bet I could find some used tires in your area if I were up there. Just gotta go into the low income areas and you find them. Sometimes you don't even have to do that. Now I'm not talking Firestone, Goodyear or the like but there are small little shops that sell them, they were even in Arizona when I lived there. In fact the last time I went up North with my trailer I blew a tire and bought one used. Can't remember what little city we were in but they had them. About the only restriction is they can't have more than 100 used tires in total or they will get fined for every 1 over 100 that they have.

like i said i can find them, but most stores wont touch it because of liability..... i can easily find used tires, at the flea market, craigs or kicksbacks from friends @ the tire store...... but that isnt buying a used tire from a store....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »
I've been trying that. Well, mostly PicknPull. There are a ton of used tire places all over Stockton.
this was a dumb thread... just buy a tire, new or used. Don't risk the safety of you and everyone around you by using that POS tire. Inner tubes are kind of a PITA at low pressures anyways... just get a different tire.
It may be a POS tire but it's what I got and as of right now it is only a spare, my BF AT is my running tire but it doesn't work well with the TSLs, like I have been saying.
just get a new tire.....

why risk it?!

if you can't afford it..... then don't go wheeling..... i mean i know i'm coming off as being a jerk.... but i haven't wheeled in i can't remember how long, because i can't afford it.... sure i would love to splurge and just go wheel and not think about my bills, but that isn't reality.....

you need to keep yourself and others safe....

would a firefighter go into a burning building with a hole in his facemask?........
Some of us like to do things we talk about. I wouldn't have bought the truck I have if I didn't intend to use it. And a lot of ppl out here and there can understand, money can and will get in the way but we still like to get out of the house.

If someone knows of an okay 32x10.5x15 TSL radial, please, do tell.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »
again, if you can't afford it... you can't play......

no reason to risk your life or anyone else's because you couldnt spend $150 to go and play.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 31, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »
Risk my life? Are you joking? At 10mph, all that's going to happen is a bead rolls off and it makes a big boom.

But I understand the possible risk to others.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Aug 31, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
Risk my life? Are you joking? At 10mph, all that's going to happen is a bead rolls off and it makes a big boom.

But I understand the possible risk to others.
no.... that isnt the problem... rolling the bead isnt a big deal... those wires are under extreme tension, they can explode apart causing serious injury..

edit: YOU KNOW WHAT? I AM DONE WITH THIS THREAD, EVERYONE HERE HAS TOLD YOU IT'S STUPID TO USE IT, AND YOU STILL DON'T LISTEN..... why did you ask if you weren't going to listen to anyone?

go ahead and run it.... get hurt, kill someone... whatever.... maybe then you will look back... and think... :pokinit:, maybe i should have listened...... life is about learning..... and sometimes it takes a good kick in the junk to realize what a meathead you are...... (not saying you are a meathead, i'm speaking from experience here)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Aug 31, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »
HAVE I USED THE TIRE? NO! :stopit:

Now, I thank all of you for your input and your adivice. I think this is a very informative thread and a few ppl, me included, might catch a mistake. Thank you. :clap:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Aug 31, 2008, 06:05:08 PM »
check with the big tire companies.  I've bought a few tires from Les Schwab, and one from Americas tire, from their tire pile.  Just go in and tell them you're looking for a tire for a tire swing/planter box/garden trailer/whatever.  the 2-3 times I did it at les schwab, they led me out to their tire pile, and charged me $5, and told me to take whatever tire I wanted.  Americas tire let me do it for free :gap:  And this was in CA as well.

Granted, you prolly won't find a TSL, but you might find an old mud terrain or something, better than the AT you've got at least :dunno:

And as to Cheesemaker's post, the tube will most likely fail, but the overall failure is going to be less violent, and far less dangerous.  I'd definitley agree that the best option is to get a new tire, but if $$ can't allow it, then I'd do my best to find a tube, and certainly an ag tube :gap:  for all the reasons mentioned.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

bayouhazard

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 03, 2008, 11:13:29 PM »
Y'all better watch out, cause I see a lot more unsafe things other than this tire issue out there.  If I didn't have the money I'd run it......maybe we should start picking on the guys with a lugnut or two missing.......or how bout your worn u joint...lighten up...everyone junk is rigged in one way or another....as long as it stays off the pavement.   75% of the rigs out there are unsafe...heck the sport's unsafe!!!!
80 pickup swb, 4.3, 700r4, marlin 10 degree doubler, frt+rr 60's w/ 7.17's, full hydro, flat belly'd, 42 irocs, 17" mickey's w/ trailready's.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #49 on: Sep 04, 2008, 08:17:33 AM »
This is true but a tire can explode and cause some serious damage even at 15 psi.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep 04, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »
This is true but a tire can explode and cause some serious damage even at 15 psi.

:werd: and some trails have some open areas that you can get some speed up on, even though you're offroad.  Jury rigging components of your rig that are potential safety hazards can be incredibly dangerous.  Have I done it, yes.  would I do it again, no.  Its just not worth it.  Do you really want to have that worn u-joint decide to let go, and your driveshaft make its presence known inside the cab?  A buddy of mine has a hole in the floor of the extended cab section of his truck from that happening.  A lugnut or two missing can turn into 3-4, and then what?  Now you've got an 80lb. projectile??  We have a responsibility to build our rigs as safely as possible, both for our own safety, and for the spectators and fellow wheelers.  We can never eliminate all the risk, but if we control what we are capable of controlling, we're better off. 

jkief86 doesn't have the money for a tire, so it has been recommended he put a tube in it.  That is the safest alternative other than not wheeling that has been proposed. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sep 04, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »
I just bought two used tires for my f-150 for $20 about an hour ago. If you can't afford to buy a used tire then I don't know why the heck you even have a truck in the first place.

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sep 04, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »
This is so retarted!!!!! JUST SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A NEW GOD D@M TIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sep 04, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »
This is so retarted!!!!! JUST SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A NEW GOD D@M TIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

:werd:

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Sep 04, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »
You ppl are funny.  :thumbsup: :rofl:

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sep 04, 2008, 11:46:34 PM »
no its not funny, its retarted!  just buy a new tire, and be done with it!! stop trying to beat around the bush with a broken @$$ tire..just man up, save your paper, and buy a new skid! its not that hard ace  
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
 :weirdthread:

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sep 05, 2008, 07:31:33 AM »
yeah man, seriously. I bought 2 used mud/snow style tires for my f-150 with about 60% tread for $20. You can spare $20 to get another fricken tire. Here is a pic of one of the tires I picked up yesturday: