Author Topic: Hello my name is gotrocks and I'm a toyota-holic.  (Read 27162 times)

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
that is a cool rig. I will be checkin up on this one!
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

FRENCHBLUE72

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looks like a sweet set-up for sure.
82 YOTA

boggerunner

• Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
lookin sweet, is it finished yet?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
No not yet.  Hopefully by the end of Sunday so that we can go wheeling on Monday

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
whats up with the buggy?
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
whats up with the buggy?

I broke my 5th transmission a couple months ago.  I'm going to do ANOTHER teardown and try to find the ultimate problem.  Its not 5 bad transmission something is making them go wrong.  I'm working with a local tranny shop thats been helping me rebuild and figure out the problems.  Hopefully it will get finished so I can go wheel it and take this along for my wife to drive.

Oh and I might be doing an engine upgrade in it for my Senior project.  Don't worry I haven't given up on it yet.  I just wanted something street legal that was also hardcore.

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
Looking good man, have to see how it holds up againts the ol Boonedocker hehe....if I get it done lol. Sorry I havnt got back to you yet been in Portland with training and everything. Ill give you a call when I can, in the meantime  get your :pokinit: done!
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2008, 10:22:08 PM by Snowrunner »

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
oh its all good man.  I was trying very hard to get this beast ready to take to colorado with us but I wasn't able to finish in time.  So we just rented a u-haul car hauler to take down the 4Runner to give to my brother-in-law. 

When I get back I want to go wheeling with you and I might have 42's as well. LOL

You won't be the only black ex cab around here sporting 42's.  But..............I can't say I have diamonds though.  Maybe I should pick some up when I'm down in Colorado.........

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
oh its all good man.  I was trying very hard to get this beast ready to take to colorado with us but I wasn't able to finish in time.  So we just rented a u-haul car hauler to take down the 4Runner to give to my brother-in-law. 

When I get back I want to go wheeling with you and I might have 42's as well. LOL

You won't be the only black ex cab around here sporting 42's.  But..............I can't say I have diamonds though.  Maybe I should pick some up when I'm down in Colorado.........

whats that a hear... is this "budget, mild build" going crazy build?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
seems to me like you are scoring left and right good find :thumbs:

is the motor a good runner?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
whats that a hear... is this "budget, mild build" going crazy build?

heck all my builds I try to do on a budget but I get carried away sometimes and buy bling bling stuff. 

I'm not serious about getting diamond axles.  I was just planing with snowrunner.  He's my buddy from town here and we're always giving each other crap.  I'd have to say that I'm a big part of the reason he has 42's and now a 4.3 vortec for his 85 ex cab.  Our trucks will be quite similar when they get done most likely.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
seems to me like you are scoring left and right good find :thumbs:

is the motor a good runner?

Yeah I have scored quite a few deals on this truck.  I'm really happy with it so far and thankfully I've got a few parts laying around that wil save me some money in the long run. 

In regards to the motor...well I'm not sure how well it runs.  We'll have to see. I don't want to rebuilt it but I will if it needs it.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
right on man.

id like a more powerful motor somday.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
Gotrocks is the little devil on my shoulder making me get all these good parts. Hmm lets see thanks to him I have and ext truck, a set of 37 toyos, a set of 42 iroks, diamonds axles and all the goodies in them, and a 4.3. You are a bad influence on me lol. What a great friend! The more I look at this truck the more I like that short wheelbase bobbed ext cab thing going on. Lets see I still have a 4runner frame hmmm.... Twins Basil Twins. I pretty much wont be back till the end of september with all the training going on, but when I do we will have to go wheeling for sure. Got anything done on this beast yet? I think my buddy tye is going to pick up a set of dana 44's for his tacoma for a future project.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Gotrocks is the little devil on my shoulder making me get all these good parts. Hmm lets see thanks to him I have and ext truck, a set of 37 toyos, a set of 42 iroks, diamonds axles and all the goodies in them, and a 4.3. You are a bad influence on me lol. What a great friend! The more I look at this truck the more I like that short wheelbase bobbed ext cab thing going on. Lets see I still have a 4runner frame hmmm.... Twins Basil Twins. I pretty much wont be back till the end of september with all the training going on, but when I do we will have to go wheeling for sure. Got anything done on this beast yet? I think my buddy tye is going to pick up a set of dana 44's for his tacoma for a future project.

LOL what are friends for.  I try.

I think you should do the shortbed ex cab setup.  It is sweet.  W/B is around 108 which I really like.  Oh and I should've bet you on not getting your truck running by the end of September.  You won't have it running until Thanksgiving.  In regards to getting more done well I got it on all fours.  Got the steering box almost mounted up (I had to cut the core support), took off the body lift and got the front axle completely rebuild.  So now it has all new bearings, 30 spline longs, longfield hub gears and seals.

Hopefully I will be able to get it running within the week when I get back from Colorado. 

The to do list now includes:
-Install Dual Ultiamate cases
-relocate rear shackle hangers
-modify driveshafts
-Install rock sliders
-build a interior cage
-build bumpers

The list of what I plan on doing within the next few months include:
-Re-carpet the interior
-New seats
-Repaint
-Spare tire mount
-Depending on the engine condition it might need a rebuild or at least new gaskets to stop oil leaks.

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
No kiddin huh. I got slammed with training this whole month here in portland. New goal is end of october so long as theres no more interuptions. I want to see some more pics of this thing. You see the turbo tacoma buggy build on pirate yet?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
I can post pics when I get home on Sunday. 

No I haven't seen the turbo tacoma buggy on pirate yet.

boggerunner

• Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
is it done yet?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Yeah it is.  Well sorta.  Its getting a few changes very soon.  But its driveable at the moment.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
BTW thats not me driving.  A buddy was in town and I invited him to go wheeling with us.  He pulled my gooseneck and I loaned him my truck for the day and I took my buggy. 

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Here's a few more current pics.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Weekend Wheeling pics.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
UPDATES:

Well out with the old and in with the new.  I have been working really hard on getting this done and so far have had a blast doing this.  Since the buggy is getting an engine transplant and didn't want to just let the engine sit I'd throw the engine and spare transmission in along with some duals in the truck.  Then after I got the engine in I decided the suspension needed some help.  I had already bought the TG 4 link kit (a pile of crap in stock form) from a buddy of mine that won in online.  I didn't realize how bad the geometry was on it so I completely cut the kit apart and corrected their mistakes.  The upper links were 30% longer than the lowers and the speration was crap.  It would've had wicked anti wrap and so after some cutting and welding I came out with a really nice setup that should work amazingly off road and on road. 

I will be doing a complete tubed back end and putting the bedsides on for the street.  I hope to link the front up soon and get this thing finished.  It should be an awesome truck when I get done and hopefully I can beat on it a bit without worrying about breaking parts.  I will try to update this as much as I can in my busy schedule but feel free to ask questions.

New engine in its home.  Fits beautifully.

Cutting off the rear section of frame and cutting up the TG crossmember.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
After the modifications.  We ended up cutting out the old horseshoe collar crossmember behind the t-case and putting the  new crossmember there so that we could keep the links as long as possible.

We lifted the cab up to make sure we could get good welds on everything and check out clearances.  It fits amazingly well now and it really tight.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Now moving on to the front.  I am going to leave the leaf springs in it for now until I can sell a few parts then I'm going to link the front end as well.

Prepping the front axle to go in.

Cut off the old mounts and moved them out for the new width. Nothing special bit it will work for now.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
The rear crossmember was cut up quite a bit to work on the 14 bolt axle but I'm not worried at all about it being strong.

The rear crossmember once the body was put back down.

Here it is the nearly finished 4 link.  I still have some gusseting to do and the rear cage but the hard part it done now.

And some flex shots.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I can't keep up with you gotrocks.  I just read the majority of the thread thinking that we had already done this recently.  I misread some of the dates on the posts and thought you had yet another project.

:willynilly:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

the_white_shadow

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
What engine did you put in?? 350 TBI?? I might have missed it earlier. Nice truck.

punchyyoter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 171
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
where in oregon did you get that truck? did you get it on craigslist?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
What engine did you put in?? 350 TBI?? I might have missed it earlier. Nice truck.

Thanks.  The motor is a 99 Vortec 4.3 with a TH350 trans and duals with a marlin adapter. 

where in oregon did you get that truck? did you get it on craigslist?

Milton-Freewater  and no not on craigslist