Author Topic: driving from coral springs Fl back to Atascadero Ca  (Read 3370 times)

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
driving from coral springs Fl back to Atascadero Ca
« on: Aug 03, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »
so i might be flying out to pick up a duramax and drive it home if the shipping company takes much longer to get it coming my way.. im wondering if i end up driving what is worth stopping at and where is there good food... what should i make sure i see! ive never been back there so i have zero knowlege of whats out there. Was thinking of going a bit north out of fl to get out of the muggy hot weather they seem to be having but no plans are set in stone.... so watta ya think?
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2008, 03:28:17 PM by toyotaboy »
rest in peace Effay

01 taco needs, duals, front axle, linked rear, exo...

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
No matter what...that's a long haul. Why worry about humidity? You have a/c in the truck...right? I like the gulf coast. This is the route Google picked first...I'd pay money not to go through NOLA or Houston.

This is the way I'd prefer to go...only about 16 miles more...in Mobile take off through Hattiesburg to Jackson then stay on I20 until it joins I10.

As far as places to go? Good grief that could take a month. All across Texas is kick ass BBQ...try Cousin's, Sonny Bryan's or Dickeys in DFW area. There used to be a Texaco Station on the south side of I20 at the MS/LA border...a huge 400 lb plus black lady working in the diner makes the best fried pies in the world. Any roadside diner in any small town in Texas will have some good chicken fried steak. Try to sleep while you're driving through El Paso...what a dump. In Tucson...EL Minuto, Mi Nidito...El Guero Canelo is a land mark joint Sonoran hot dogs and slamming carne asada. You're on you own in phx and on west.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i10 between dallas or san antonio to el paso is the longest 700 miles ive ever driven in my life! beutiful country but not really anything to see. make sure you fill up lol

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
i10 between san antonio to el paso is the longest 700 miles ive ever driven in my life! beutiful country but not really anything to see. make sure you fill up lol

:yupyup: True, true. That's another reason I like the northern route better...seems like every hour or so there's some little turd splat town where you can refuel.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
right on the first route is the one my gps goes to as fastest route, haha yea the trucks got ac i just love having windows down... whats wrong with houston? school me here.... i know what you mean about spending a month, id love to actually go strait up the east coast to new york, drop acrross the great lakes, drop to denver, shoot back up to montana then back down the oregon coast lol.... i like to drive but its that thing called money and diesel fuel that are in too many ways than not not getting along to make it a perfect trip. id fish everything in between here and there if i had my choice!
rest in peace Effay

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
right on the first route is the one my gps goes to as fastest route, haha yea the trucks got ac i just love having windows down... whats wrong with houston? school me here.... i know what you mean about spending a month, id love to actually go strait up the east coast to new york, drop acrross the great lakes, drop to denver, shoot back up to montana then back down the oregon coast lol.... i like to drive but its that thing called money and diesel fuel that are in too many ways than not not getting along to make it a perfect trip. id fish everything in between here and there if i had my choice!

Houston blows...laid out crazy, big, smelly, crappy foot ball team, I just hate it. I got shot at there.

I'm gonna tell you...the gulf coast, if you can get a full moon night on an old two lane...good Lord it's nice. The Spanish Moss hanging from the trees. Makes me want to go back there. If you had time, I'd skip the interstates and just go through as many small towns as you can, until you hit somewhere west of DFW...see a little bit of America, meet some good old country folks...hell, have some grits with breakfast in a little diner.

If you get the licenses, you can fish off every bridge in FL, MS and LA

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
thats sounds like the plan im aiming for...

adding to the post: if anyone has stuff needing to go from FL to Central Coast lemme know, id be interested in hauling stuff for some gas money, everything from springs t-cases or a trailer as well if someone needs one moved, no fifth wheel hitch yet so limited to a bumper pull.
rest in peace Effay

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
dude, come thru Arkansas  my truck is  working now,   you should see the  Offroad Park in Hotsprings,  then  take  270 out of hotsprings west,  GORGEOUS views out there
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Windows down driving along the gulf goast...youd better stock up on mosquito spray if you ever have to stop your cab will be full of mosquitos big enough to carry you back to cali.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
there's nothing wrong w/ Houston. i live here. it's big and hot. some parts you can be shot at but that's in any major city.
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
when would you be driving by? if its a weekend stop by destin florida and let me know, BEAUTIFUL beaches
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
when would you be driving by? if its a weekend stop by destin florida and let me know, BEAUTIFUL beaches

We used to go right down the road toward Pensacola, we stayed on Santa Rosa Island on Navarre Beach. Ditto on the beaches, blinding white, super soft sand.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Fastest route is actually to go straight towards Atlanta and then down.(slightly more northern route).

The reason is that from California, it all flows towards Tuscon or Flagstaff.    I've done all three at one time or another and for speed, it's the fastest.  Best scenery is the southernmost one, though.  The Southern route looks faster, but when you hit the deep south(Lousianna and Alabama), it goes very slowly.  Gorgeous scenery. 

Though... I bet Glen would love to visit... that's an incentive for the top route as well...

EDIT:
Basically I 40 to Memphis
I 78 to Birmingham
Across to Atlanta. (looks like getting from Montgomery to Tallahassee is a serious PITA - Google Maps *lies*)
Down.
2942 Miles.  Very fast - all major interstates.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008, 05:00:35 PM by Plekto »

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Just hit the cat houses and let all the rest fall into place as u go.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
Just hit the cat houses and let all the rest fall into place as u go.

joey you can go visit all the dirty ho's when you go...
rest in peace Effay

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Shoot i might have to plan a trip....

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
flying out thurs night or fri... anyone needs something picked up gotta tell me before that or maybe you can call when im driving
rest in peace Effay

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
flying out thurs night or fri... anyone needs something picked up gotta tell me before that or maybe you can call when im driving

If you're so inclined...I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a big ol' chunk o' brisket from Texas!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
got a place you want it from haha? if its off the road and you want to meet me on the road i dont see why not...
rest in peace Effay

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
got a place you want it from haha? if its off the road and you want to meet me on the road i dont see why not...

I know if it were me...it wouldn't make it to the next county line. I was just kidding!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
leavin monday night will be there tues morning.. anybody need something moved pm post or call me
805-674-3287
rest in peace Effay

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
still have room in bed and room for a trailer mississippi west. possible pulling a trailer from fl to ms but its not set in stone so let me know asap!
rest in peace Effay

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
u sound like a creeper ha are u home yet???

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
got home a few days ago then had to turn around and run to san diego and back so im finally settling in. ill post up some pics
rest in peace Effay