Author Topic: Help! Clunk in my frontend when I turn!  (Read 2764 times)

1985SR5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
Help! Clunk in my frontend when I turn!
« on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
Hi everyone,
 I have this darn problem of my frontend clunking, (sometimes) when I turn the tires while driving. I think it's coming from the driver's side, it almost sounds like a little pop. It dose it left or right, but not all the time!!? My 85 is stock except for 2 inch shackles front and rear and aftermarket shocks and steering stabilizer. I have 31 inch tires and about 137,000 miles on it. The frontend doesn't make the clunk at high speeds, just when I'm in parking lots or moving slowly. I have been hearing it for the last couple of months and it sounds like it's getting worse?! Any help or advise would greatly be appreacted.
Thanks,
Brett

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Clunk in my frontend when I turn!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:31:55 AM »
Have the knuckles ever been rebuilt?

1985SR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:35:40 AM »
KDX, as far as I know the knuckles have not been rebuilt. I've had the truck for 4 years and all the paperwork that I have form the old owners have not indicated anything?

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:43:36 AM »
Are your steering stops contacting?  It can sound awful, but it's normal.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:46:23 AM »
Ok, This is just a wild guess, but I think your trunion bearings, or wheel bearings, or possibly both may be shot.

Jack up the driver side tire and grasp it at 12 and 6 position. Rock it back and forth between 12 and 6. Either you need to watch the axle while doing this, or someone else needs to be.

If there is movement felt when rocking the tire but the knuckle is not rocking, then your wheel bearings are probably a little messed up or just loose.

If when rocking it back and forth the knuckle is moving as well, then your trunion bearings may be shot and need replaced. Your steering arm may also be loose on the knuckle.

Tell us what you find out when you do this. Others may have other ideas on what the problem may be, but this is a good starting point. It wouldn't hurt to do the same procedure on the passenger side as well. Good luck!

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:47:06 AM »

I guess this is a possibility as well, although I have never had a problem with mine contacting and making noise.

1985SR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2008, 12:53:41 AM »
thanks I will try that tomarrow and keep you posted. What are the trunion bearings? If everything is bad is the MC kit easy to install? How long do you think it would take? thanks again for all the help.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2008, 01:10:44 AM »
thanks I will try that tomarrow and keep you posted. What are the trunion bearings? If everything is bad is the MC kit easy to install? How long do you think it would take? thanks again for all the help.

Trunion bearings are the knuckle bearings, they are located at the top and bottom of the knuckle.

I bought the MC Knuckle Rebuild Kit w/Wheel Bearings and Marlin Super Seals when I rebuilt my front axle last year. It was the first major project I ever did on my truck besides swap engines. In total it probably took me 6 hours for the first side and 3 hours for the second, but it was my first time and I took everything apart, cleaned it and painted what I could paint.

If I were to just strictly do a rebuild and not paint anything but clean it pretty well, I bet I could get one side done in an hour, so 2 hour total. That would be if I had all the tools I needed laid out and the pages marked in my FSM. I also have a 20 gallon solvent tank now, so that cuts down on time greatly when compared to sitting on the ground cleaning with brake cleaner.

So to answer your question: Is it easy? Well... if you have never done it before like me and it is the first time you have ever torn an axle apart, it can be kind of hard. If you follow the FSM it isn't really all that hard, but it does take a while the first time. I hope this answered your questions. :gap:
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2008, 01:17:04 AM by KDXSR5 »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2008, 05:38:10 AM »
That's usually my first guess too....get some one under the truck to listen whilst you turn the tires back and forth
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2008, 07:13:29 AM »
If everything is bad is the MC kit easy to install? How long do you think it would take? thanks again for all the help.

Here is a link on rebuilding/setting up the steering knuckles. It could also be that your spring bushings need to be replaced. I do not see how the steering stops could be causing the noise. It is a solid axle not IFS so when the knuckle stops hit the stops there in no movement.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleRebuild.shtml

Here is a link to theFactory Service Manual (FSM) on rebuilding the front end.

http://www.lukemiller.org/toys/1985_toyota_4wd_front_axle_FSM.pdf
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »
It is a solid axle not IFS so when the knuckle stops hit the stops there in no movement.

DOH! foiled by Oops once again  :ha_ha:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »
Go to an empty parking lot turn until you hear the clunk and then get out and check underneath.  Look for anytning that's touching or doesn't seem right.   perhaps the steering stabalizer wasn't set up correctly.  just check out everything.

I don't see how trunion bearings could make a loud pop.  But you could always jack up the front end, take off the tires, dissconnetc the tie rod ends and see if there is any slop, or binding, or chunky feel in your knuckles.

all I can think of at the moment. 
I like to Drive!

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »
Go to an empty parking lot turn until you hear the clunk and then get out and check underneath.  Look for anytning that's touching or doesn't seem right.   perhaps the steering stabalizer wasn't set up correctly.  just check out everything.

I don't see how trunion bearings could make a loud pop.  But you could always jack up the front end, take off the tires, dissconnetc the tie rod ends and see if there is any slop, or binding, or chunky feel in your knuckles.

all I can think of at the moment. 

If the trunion bearings have exploded and are in pieces, I can see them making a loud pop. The whole truck is resting on those bearings, and if one is in pieces I figure it would make some bad noises.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »
I have had exploded trunnion bearings make popping sounds.  I've also had worn or dry birfields make popping sounds even when they were still intact. 

While this may not be the cheapest fix for your rig it is sure to be the most fun.  Install lockers, lift the rig, trim the fenders and put on some 39s.  Next, wheel the crap out of it until something breaks and chances are you'll find the problem.  :rofl:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

spc mike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »
i have this same problem with my 85', and whats ironic is that my setup it down to a T to what 1985sr5's truck has! i packed the knuckles with some fresh grease and it has gone away a some

1985SR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »
spc mike,
 Right on on the 85', have you done any further investigation into the frontend. I haven't yet but I plan to because it seem's to be getting worse.

1985SR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:10:55 PM »
  Does anyone know why these bearings go out? Are the based on milage? Just asking because my 85' has 137,000 on it and my 84' pickup has 299,000 on it and no clunk at all! the 84' actually shifts in and out of 4x4 better than the 85' does, the 84' has 31 inch tire's and a short bed. Any help would be great. (Just talking about the frontend's) Thanks,

Brett

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »
If they are blown, they are blown. Sure, more mileage increases the chances of them blowing, but under the right conditions they can go with low miles.

1985SR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »
OK so I need to rebuild the knuckles, is there any lube for the wheel bearings that you guys prefer? what is the best!

Brett

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »
How do you know you need to rebuild them?

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2008, 09:31:01 PM »
If the trunion bearings have exploded and are in pieces, I can see them making a loud pop. The whole truck is resting on those bearings, and if one is in piec :Des.

I realize that the truck is resting on them.  Which is why I would think it would happen at speed then as well.     :D
I like to Drive!

1985SR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »
ok help I'm lost? I don't know but i'd rather be safe than sorry?!