Author Topic: clunk clunk . . . .clunk clunk . . . cant figure it out  (Read 3024 times)

85yotanh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
clunk clunk . . . .clunk clunk . . . cant figure it out
« on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »
So i rebuilt my front axle a few months ago. . . before i rebuilt it there was a clunk while wheeling or turning at slow speeds. I figured it was the axle and it would dissapear after the rebuild. Post rebuild . . . as in the first time i drove it around the yard it still made it. . not as bad but still present in some situations.At that point i checked all my torque specs and crap of that nature . . .it was all good. My first few wheelin trips it was a mixed bag sometimes terrible sometimes not there at all, so i decided to tear back into the knuckles, all checked out well no problems re-torqued everything and i thought i was good. nope still clunking while wheeling but only from time to time and for the most part never. Last night i was pulling out of my buddies house and it started but bad. with every bump a series of clunks with every stop sign and turn it would clunk ( its winter in nh so frost heaves and back roads = clunking non-stop). At work today when i turned the wheel just before max turn it double clunked and then again when i released it. Im stumped, I got home and it was dark so i did a quick check of my brake, my wheel bearing, my tie rod ends, and it all checked out  . . . What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide

Thanks,
Ben

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
possibly bent front axle
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
as in axle tube or shaft? because i feel like a bent axle shaft would be super noticeable

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Tons of ppl dd rigs with bent axle housings in front and never know. Toy front housings are not very strong stock.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

possume22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
cv joint in the drive shadt is what it sound like to me mine did the same thing

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
hmmm it has been snowing for the pas few days and my junk has been in 4wd . . . but then why only on bumps and slow turns you would think it would be all the time . . .i suppose icould unlock my hubs and take it for a spin to find out . . . but it will make the noise at a stand still when i bring it to almost full lock

93REDCRAWLER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 110
  • Male Posts: 563
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
cv joint in the drive shadt is what it sound like to me mine did the same thing

X2

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Now is there a way to test that the drive shaft is the noise? because i just took my truck out in 2wd and hubs unlocked which to me says the front driveshaft should not be spinning and there for should not make any noise . . . but it still did! Does that mean its not the driveshaft or is there still a possibility? Im lost

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Maybe its the rear driveshaft?
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
so its my front passenger side leaf spring

when i turn the wheel or hit a bump two of the leafs shift on each other ever so slightly and that clunk sound carries through my frame and up into the audible noise i hear while im driving. So today i went under the truck straightened out the leaf squished the clamps back to the leafs and made sure all was tight centerpin, ubolts, shackles, spring hanger. and the clunk continues and its still the spring . . . how do i stop this leaf spring shimmyand clunk?

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
You are positive the center pin is not broken? Mine has broken a few times and it causes a clunk and some weird steering.

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
definately something to double check!

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Are all the slip pads in place? I lost a couple on one spring and it was making a clunk noise.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
it might be your tie rod ends flipping over, that's what my 81 did, happened everytime i turned. the 94 i just got still does it but you can't feel it as much.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Are all the slip pads in place? I lost a couple on one spring and it was making a clunk noise.

OOPS, do you have a source to buy replacement ones? I am sure I can get some at the local spring shop, but I was curious if you had a hookup.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2011, 11:10:32 PM by KDXSR5 »

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I picked them up at a local spring shop. The ones I posted a picture of are from a vendors web page whose name I will not mention on this BB..
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I picked them up at a local spring shop. The ones I posted a picture of are from a vendors web page whose name I will not mention on this BB..

Got ya. :thumbs: Seems taking good pics is about all they do. I will cruise on down to the spring shop sometime when I actually have time.

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
x3 on the cv joint. I just went through the same thing, turned out to be the centering ball at the cv joint in the front driveline.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
x3 on the cv joint. I just went through the same thing, turned out to be the centering ball at the cv joint in the front driveline.
dude he took it out of 4wd and it still did it its not his cv on the dshaft
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

Bradtoyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 57
  • Male Posts: 247
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
It's a bent housing I've had it before!! Pull the knuckle look at were the axle sits in the seal and see how strait it is in the seal more than likely your gonna see a gap were of course oil just gonna run out when you lean the vehicle. Fix is get a chain and a bottle jack and see which way she needs to go back and work it slow then of course in the end put some new marlin seals in it cause the stock ones are trash!! Oh and then gusset the housing from doin it again!! If this is your problem there's the info
Tonka Toys