Author Topic: Best CB radios?  (Read 9665 times)

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Re: Best CB radios?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 10, 2005, 01:43:59 PM »
Sweet bungie mounts! Did those come with the CB's!?????!!!!

No they are custom mounts  :flamer: . Smart  :moon:   :wave:

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2005, 05:17:04 PM »
guys  take it from a trucker,  i currently run a cobra 25 that was peaked and tuned by a shop in LittleRock AR,  it dead keys 16Watts, and swings 60+  antenna is fiberglass francis wip,  swr's  are .5-1

i did mount mine near my stereo, but when i turned the power up on the cobra it would actually talk thru the stereo speakers,  so i moved it over by the door for now,  till i get some bucket seats anyway

my favorite alltime radio,  and what i used to run in my big rig was a peaked and tuned cobra 29LTD with a texas star250 running rg58 cable into Wilson silver core antennas

i could easily talk 50miles thru congested cb traffic,  like around large truckstops,   such as Etiwanda Ca, Atlanta Ga, Gary In, and at times  on a good day the truck next to me in a crouded truckstop in dallas :yikes:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2005, 12:41:56 AM »
 :headscratch: I dunno, I just picked up a radioshack special. its got lots of switches and dials and unfortunatly I dont know what half of them do. :hammerhead: I have been thinking about taking it to get its power bumped up and get a real antenea set up. Also pick some brains and learn what them switches do. But for the mean time, it lets me talk to who I need to on the trail. :thumbs:
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2005, 12:44:06 AM »
VE3NLP you should post up a resized picutre of your avatar :yesnod:  I just cant seem to read her shirt :bull crap:

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

lubo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Boosting, a little.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 11, 2005, 01:51:19 AM »
nice photos. thanks ;) this gives me quite a good idea of how to get it done.

err .. . yeah, what does that shirt say n'way? i can't seem to read it ... w/ all the distraction.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #35 on: Oct 11, 2005, 04:28:36 AM »
hey guys the most important knobs you need are RF gain and Mic gain

rfgain increases and decreases your incoming signal,  static stuff

mic gain is your outgoing power
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #36 on: Oct 11, 2005, 03:37:14 PM »
I have 3 Radio Shack specials, they work great. Just last week I went to Calico and was able to talk with my club members to find them and I was at camp and they were at some of the mines. They said they could hear me crystal clear. I also have my favorite which is a Uniden PC122XL has NB-ANL upper and lower sidebands, RF gain and a clarifier. It's tweeked to about 23 watts the last it was checked. I've hit on skip when I lived in Hesperia all the way to the I40 in Arizona. :shhh: My club runs 2 meter so we can talk with the camp-queens in the motorhomes when we are on the trail if we need help.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 11, 2005, 06:13:24 PM »
 :shake_head:   ok guys just once this is off topic but ya all want to read the  :drooling:  shirt.. read the shirt my  :moon:  :rara: is more like it.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Oct 11, 2005, 06:16:48 PM »
 8)  Now just to stay on topic.. Here is the "Rigrunner"( @ )  DC power bar.  It simple plug and play, connect the red to the positive black to the negitive, and you have FUSED power.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Oct 17, 2005, 12:44:20 AM »
Thats a really clean fuseblock set up. Where did you pick that up? I like how you can easily disconnect stuff if you want.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Oct 17, 2005, 06:20:43 PM »
Thats a really clean fuseblock set up. Where did you pick that up? I like how you can easily disconnect stuff if you want.

8)  It's made by west mountain radio (ham gear) you can look them up or find your local ham store ( ham radio out let, and west mount are on the web).  That is the small one. They make a rig blaster I have two of them( computer to radio interface ) the rig runner just the one for now ( fused power bar) and a couple other neat toys. 

homewrecka

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:17:54 AM »
Howzit going, Fred?! Just to let you know... I'd stay away from the walkie talkie radios. It also depends on how far you would like to talk. According to the FCC, you should not be transmitting with more than a certain amount of watts. ( So they say...)
 Some things to remember:
 1. Antenna tuning is very important.
 2. Ham and CB radio is not the same.
 3. Cobra, Uniden, Galaxy, Superstar, and Connex are good radios.
 4. Coax cable length does play an important role in your setup.
 5. Linear amplifiers are illegal to use on 11 meter. (cb radio frequincy) BUT SO MUCH FUN!!!
 6. Fiberglass type antennas work great but, I will stand behind a steel whip antenna anyday!
 7. Speaking from experience, magnet mount antennas do KICK BUTT!
 8. Again, from experience: IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT, DO IT RIGHT! DON'T CUT CORNERS!
 9. There are other types of antenna mounts to choose from. There are also ball mounts, Tri Mags
 (3 magnets securing your antenna to your vehicle allowing you to use just about any antenna you
 want.) Roof mounts (in most situations, a hole is drilled through your roof), and so on.
 10. Keydowns (aka shootouts) are also fun! It enables you to see "who's da man."  It also shows
 others who has the most "fire in the wire!"

Drop me a PM and I will gladly help you out in anyway I can with your CB radio needs. (Honestly and
 of course LEGALLY!)
                                                       :thumbs:

Aloha,
                                                                     Mike

homewrecka

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile