Author Topic: Free credit reports! YEAH right!!!  (Read 3249 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Free credit reports! YEAH right!!!
« on: Jun 03, 2008, 05:45:39 PM »
Well, my wife got talked into doing a free credit report from one of her friends.  Well, I get the visa bill and damn if there isn't a god damn  :mad:  $14.95 charge.  Well, I do a online check for CIC Triple Advantage, and sure enough there is a site on how they rip ya off!  So, I'm getting my $29.90, they just charged me for my monthly service fee of watching my account!  So, beware!  Don't let your wife or friend talk you into a free credit check!  Go to your bank of financial adviser and pay them to do one.   

Here is the site that helped me!
http://www.knowzy.com/Personal_Finance/Credit/Credit_Monitoring_Is_A_Rip_Off-StepByStep-Canceling_CIC_TripleAdvantage.htm#1CallCIC
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Free credit reports! YEAH right!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »
be careful, you actually do get 1 free credit report a year, but there are a lot of companies that charge for this service.... sure those companies work and are legit, but they cost $.... you can check it yourself for free, once a year

do not go to the one they advertise on TV
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »
I finally went to do a free credit report a while back and did a search for it first.  I saw some sites where people were talking about freecreditreport.com and found this out:  all the places offering a free credit report are pretty much scams!  I can't remember the site that offers the REAL free credit reports, but if I remember right there's really only one place which does it comlpetely free. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2008, 07:07:40 PM »
annualcreditreport.com

it is the one set up by the credit companies themselves to comply with the legislation.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »
All good info above...  ya gotta read all the fine print and pay close attention to details.  I got mine free a couple times over the years.  All you get is a printout of your credit report, so you can check it for errors and try to correct anything if necessary...

The one on TV charges you a fee (fine print) and supplies you with your credit score -- which afaik is not available free...
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2008, 09:26:54 PM »
I got mine free a couple times over the years. 

And where'd you go to get this?

annualcreditreport.com

That sounds like the same place I'm thinking of.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
And where'd you go to get this?
Actually, the first one was so long ago that I wrote to one of the reporting agencies (Experian, etc...).  But for the more recent one, I went to the only legitimate website I am aware of...  the one CTENG in KS mentioned.  https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

To add a bit more info from this site http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/freereports/index.html

"Important information from the Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency:  annualcreditreport.com is the ONLY authorized online source for you to get a free credit report under federal law. You can get a free report from each of the three national credit reporting companies every 12 months. Some other sites claim to offer "free" credit reports, but may charge you for another product if you accept a "free" report."
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2008, 10:16:05 PM »
That sounds like it verbatim  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2008, 06:37:22 AM »
I go to freecreditreport.com and it's free.
Just have to be careful at the end, they ask you if you would like a tripple report and that costs money.