Author Topic: ??I want a roll bar for my truck where can i find one??  (Read 4567 times)

SamuelEngelking

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 253
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
??I want a roll bar for my truck where can i find one??
« on: Apr 16, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »
84 toyota extra cab pick up
84 Toyota Ext, 5.29's Locked Up, 4.7's, 37's KM2, 17" KMC Wheels,
Hydro assist, Propane, Headers, Body Armor, Some Bump In The Trunk..

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
ive got one we have to pull it of my truck but ill sell it to ya for 50 bucks all it needs is sanding and paint
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

SamuelEngelking [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 253
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
I'm in texas man . .
84 Toyota Ext, 5.29's Locked Up, 4.7's, 37's KM2, 17" KMC Wheels,
Hydro assist, Propane, Headers, Body Armor, Some Bump In The Trunk..

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
roll bars are really over-rated... they are basically for show.... if a vehicle rolls over, all they will do is rip through the bed floor... it is best to have a custom setup made to include a cage or at the minimum frame tie-ins
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
roll bars are really over-rated... they are basically for show.... if a vehicle rolls over, all they will do is rip through the bed floor... it is best to have a custom setup made to include a cage or at the minimum frame tie-ins

:yesnod: Plus roll bars are not made of real thick material unless they are self fabricated. If you roll, they will probably just crush.

And don't even get my started on the whole lights on the roll bar thing... its dumb, they are way too high off the ground and don't travel very far. It would be much more benificial to mount them to the front bumper.

Make your own roll bar with the correct materials that ties into the frame if you are really dead set on a roll bar. :twocents:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
And don't even get my started on the whole lights on the roll bar thing... its dumb, they are way too high off the ground and don't travel very far. It would be much more benificial to mount them to the front bumper.
i somewhat disagree with this.... of course it depends on what lights you use, etc... but gettign the light high up helps in its outward illumination.... look at all the desert race trucks.. they all have huge lights up top..... you need all the light you can get in some situations

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
i somewhat disagree with this.... of course it depends on what lights you use, etc... but gettign the light high up helps in its outward illumination.... look at all the desert race trucks.. they all have huge lights up top..... you need all the light you can get in some situations

I agree with the expensive desert race lights. Those are built for the application. But who is gonna put $1000 lights on an old toyota? Most would probably use cheaper KC type lights not designed for roof mounting. Those desert lights are :bling: HID lights right? Those are very $$$$.

Also: would you agree that in most situations a bumper mounted light is better than a roof mounted light?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
I agree with the expensive desert race lights. Those are built for the application. But who is gonna put $1000 lights on an old toyota? Most would probably use cheaper KC type lights not designed for roof mounting. Those desert lights are :bling: HID lights right? Those are very $$$$.

Also: would you agree that in most situations a bumper mounted light is better than a roof mounted light?

thats why i said somewhat disagree.... however a long range kc will do a lot better than nothing.... either or on the roof lighting versus the bumper... i like having the lights higher up to extend range.... and it doenst have to be $1000 bling lights.... you can get good quality HID lights for about $200 a pair if you shop around... Lightforce lights are awesome, and not all of them are HID.... i plan on running some 5" lights on my grill gaurd and some 7" lights above the hoodline, at a height right above the stock lights, i would add some to the roof as well, but i dont have a bar up there... i plan on mounting aux reverse lights to the 4runner bar i will be putting in the back.... but it will be so far back it will be ineffective for front lighting

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Sounds like a plan. I am going to put some high output bulbs in my roundeyes H4 lights, and I will eventually mount some other lights on my bumper. I already have some decent backup lights mounted to my rear bumper. They are very helpful with the shell I have on my truck.

Wow we got off track! Ok, back to the search for a roll bar!

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i have a 4runner rollbar for sale, make an offer, shipped from 94621

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
those double tube smittybilts can handle a good roll.  Seen a truck go over 3x with one, and while yes, it did tear through the bed floor, and yes, the rollbar was destroyed, it took the brunt of the force, keeping the cab intact, and undamaged for the most part, some small denting above the doors.  A rollbar isn't designed to withstand multiple rollovers and flops, like what we build cages for, but for a 1 time accident protection, some of the work quite well.  Check JCwhitney, ebay, craigslist, smittybilt, etc.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I like this rollbar. It is more of a bed cage. It is not welded to the frame (I mentioned it to him after he built it and bolted it to his bed) and it has some cheap lights that do very little (IMO). The truck belongs to yotaoffroad44.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
that bodylift looks huge!

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
that bodylift looks huge!

:yesnod: Its a 3 inch, I told him it was way to tall, max I would even reccomend is 2 inch, but it was what he wanted.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:yesnod: Its a 3 inch, I told him it was way to tall, max I would even reccomend is 2 inch, but it was what he wanted.

:dunno: 3 inch works fine, thats what I've got.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

To each his own.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile

i had a 3" on my 2wd and it didnt look like that :dunno: 3" is fine... that just looks huge on there....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
yea theres a reason i want mine to go haha
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
I got one you can have if you get it out of my yard.   :gap:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i had a 3" on my 2wd and it didnt look like that :dunno: 3" is fine... that just looks huge on there....

I think its because he's missing his bumper, and the lower valance thing.  Miine doesn't look like that either, but I have my bumper, and the center section of the valance

-Ronald Reagan

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I think its because he's missing his bumper, and the lower valance thing.  Miine doesn't look like that either, but I have my bumper, and the center section of the valance

Sounds about right. He ripped off the valence (I think). If I remember correctly, the bumper/grille guard came off when the body lift was put on.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
i like the way the double roll bar looks too. what type of roll bar dose marlin have on his truck?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i like the way the double roll bar looks too. what type of roll bar dose marlin have on his truck?

I THINK its a double tube smittybilt. 

Not positive though.  I also THINK that he has sealed it up, and is his compressed air tank for his OBA as well. 

Hopefully someone who knows his rig better will chime in.

-Ronald Reagan