Author Topic: Where can I find new hardware for my truck?  (Read 2618 times)

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Where can I find new hardware for my truck?
« on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:45:45 PM »
I'm in the process of building my truck up and I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation as to where I can find some new hardware for it. Specifically, I'm looking for waterpump bolts since I've already broken one off and had to oh so carefully remove it from the block. I've looked at local hardware stores, but finding metric bolts with 1.25 thread pitch that are small enough seems to be a challenge. I'm not sure if I can go to Toyota for the bolts or how much they'd charge if I could... Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find new hardware for my truck?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2006, 01:01:15 PM »
ive gotten all the stuff for my truck at my local hardware store, im not talking about home depot or lowes, but the smaller family owned ones.... the local one to me has something to do with ace hardware, but its not actually called ace hardware....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2006, 02:37:10 PM »
This place is an industrial Mecca..  :yesnod:       -->          http://www.mcmaster.com/

The Toyota Dealer (yeah sometimes they are a couple of bucks but I don't have to shim or grind it),  or like said above, a little hardware store that's Metric friendly..

:biggthumpup:
I like to Drive!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2006, 02:45:25 PM »
I'm in the process of building my truck up and I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation as to where I can find some new hardware for it. Specifically, I'm looking for waterpump bolts since I've already broken one off and had to oh so carefully remove it from the block. I've looked at local hardware stores, but finding metric bolts with 1.25 thread pitch that are small enough seems to be a challenge. I'm not sure if I can go to Toyota for the bolts or how much they'd charge if I could... Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.

My first stop is Ace hardware.

But really the dealers are pretty reasonable, but shop around. We've got two here in town and ones "best deal" is higher than the others everyday price. With the dealer you'll know you havbe the right stuff.
I've also used McMaster-Carr for tons of stuff.
Bolt-depot.com is another source I've used.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:54:53 PM »
There's a few reputable hardware/bolt dealers on ebay. i've seen some pretty reasonably priced stuff that's nice. I can't remember any particular names right now though  :cheese:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:58:06 PM »
oh i jsut thought of something else seeing what others have said, look up fasteners in the phone book, i found a place at the recommendation of the hardware store that was able to get me a long stud, that i cut for use on my intake... it was a 6mmx1.0 stud that was a mewter long, it cost less than $5 i only used abotu a foot, but i couldnt find any bolt anywhere that would have worked for my giant air cleaner mod

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:30:02 PM »
Junk yards and pick and pulls... and they are free.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:43:05 PM »
Junk yards and pick and pulls... and they are free.

yeah if you wnat karma biting you in the ass later.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »
If it's a race truck, Go Big!!   and WireLock everything....    http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/

:hammerhead:
I like to Drive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2006, 06:10:26 PM »
mom and pop hardware store :thumbs:  or NAPA.  I've discovered that NAPA has a lot of the metric stuff I've needed
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2006, 07:00:41 PM »
If you have a Tractor Supply near you they have quite the selection of metric...careful though...sometimes they are tough to find there...they have them on sliding shelves.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0