Author Topic: In almost 30 years of fishing  (Read 9959 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
In almost 30 years of fishing
« on: Apr 15, 2008, 10:16:53 PM »
I've never done more than stick just the tip of a hook in my skin... until tonight.  The shad have been schooling hard around the docks at work, and temptation became too great to avoid.  Myself and a few others from work hit the private docks after we got off and started in on the fish and were doing pretty good. 

I almost always flatten down the barbs on my hooks because barbless hooks are required in the rivers, and I don't want to tear up the fish in the creeks and lakes in the alps so I try and do away with the barbs.  Since I was using one of the lures I do in the alps the barbs were already pinched, but weren't totally smooth.

I rarely ever keep fish so I try to release them as easily as possible.  Tonight I caught a bass and was bending down to the water to grab it by the lip and BAM, fish was off and I noticed the lure didn't fling very far.  There it was, one of 3 points on the kastmaster was stuck in my wrist.  Quick check, then doublecheck and it missed my veign by almost 1/2 inch  :clap2:  Now how am I gonna get it out  :confused:

Ok, I bent the barbs down so maybe I can back it out.... tried that for a couple minutes and the only thing I was accomplishing was slightly bending the hook open.  I tried forcing the hook further through so it'd poke back through the skin but it was tough, really tough!  I finally realized I needed to do something I hate, ask somebody for help.  I hollar over to one of the guys and ask if he has anything to cut with.  He says he has a knife and I say "nope, that won't do it".  He asks what I need it for and I told him I stuck myself with a hook.  The other guy hollars over and said he had something so I head over there. 

Somehow we had to get it done with my leatherman and his needlenose pliers.  We decided the only way anything was gonna happen was if I poked the hook the rest of the way through my skin again and cut off the hook somewhere.  I didn't realize I had the point so close to coming out that you could see the metal, so I forced it the rest of the way through.  They were both saying "damn, you have tough skin!" cause that hook didn't want to go through at all.  After I got the point through I tried to get it past the bent over barb, but that was a pregnant dog.  I had to hold the body of the hook with the leatherman while one of them bent it out a little flatter to get a better angle to cut the hook off.  I pushed it through as hard as I could to expose as much as possible, he went in with the cutting edge  "just don't get my skin!", cut it off and I pulled the hook back out. 

Luckily one of the guys had a sanitary wipe so I could clean it up a little.  I figured I was done for the night because it'd start throbbing any minute, but when I went back down the dock to get my rod I couldn't help but think of the fish I would miss out on if I left  :tantrum:  Good choice  :disturbed:

Luckily, it doesn't hurt unless I touch it.  It's kinda puffy, but that's probably more from me tugging on it trying to pull the hook back out. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: In almost 30 years of fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »
OUCH!!  That hurt just reading it. Put some Neosporin on it!

:worthless:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
x2 on :worthless: coming from an emergency medical background i want to see this....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2008, 11:00:33 PM »
It's really not impressive to look at.  I'd snap a pic if I hadn't taken cheesy's advice and also installed a bandaid for a little sanitary action, maybe tomorrow.  When putting on the bandaid I noticed another veign just to the right of it  :shudder:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2008, 11:02:29 PM »
eh, you probably wont die from ripping a vein..... an artery... and your screwed though
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »
What size hook? I hope this wasn't a 1/4 oz kastmaster.  :gap:

I use this method:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Remove-A-Fishing-Hook-Using-Fishing-line/?comments=all
but I think that's a barbless. :hammerhead:

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2008, 08:57:11 AM »
dad hooked himself once and got a really bad infection in his hand, whole thing swelled up to like 2.5 times normal size... watch that cut

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »
I think it might have been a 1/4 oz., which is kinda what made it such a pita to get out!  I'm gonna watch it pretty closely and try to keep it clean.
RIP KYOTA

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
Ouch!!  Buddy from High school got a Rapala stuck in his CHEEK!!!!! Good thing we were drunk, cuz he would have cried like a baby when we held him down to pull it ou!!! :gap:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »
:haha:  sucky!  I may run in to town tonight, and if I do I'll stop by and snag an assortment of barbless hooks.  It's inevitable that it could happen again, so I may as well make removal much easier!

Oh yea, I was hopping between boats today at work and noticed one of those large jig-head hooks stuck in one of the boat ropes.  I always pull them whenever I see one so customers don't get stuck with one, so I grabbed it with my leatherman (it seriously goes everywhere with me!), gave a few jerks and it came out.... and somehow in the process of jerking it back and forth I stuck it in the same arm!  Luckily it had such a big barb on it which stopped it from going in past the barb.  All I could do was shake my head, suck out any impurities and shake my head a little more.

I'll probably go fishing atleast a couple more times this week, so at this rate I'll be chock full of holes by next monday  :haha
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2008, 06:23:32 PM »
I watched that video and  :shudder:  Don't know how he did that without snagging a bunch of meat  :yikes:
RIP KYOTA

toyotamobing

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 1,244
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Poly Performance
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2008, 07:16:48 PM »
i was thinking the same thing
1996 Tacoma 3rz auto 4x4
1993 Jeep XJ 2 door 5spd 4cyl 4x4
1996 Dodge 3500 12V 5spd 4x4

@alteredegospeedshop

MAKING A SLOW TRUCK GO FAST SINCE 2003

!!POLY GOATS!!
www.polygoats.com

POLY PERFORMANCE
www.polyperformance.com

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »
Well how bout that! I was fishing with my boy last weekend and hooked a nice trout. got her in the boat and went to grab her and bam. the other treble on my repala (3" brown trout lure) drove into the bottom of my ring finger, sweet.
so there I is, hook in the fishies mouth and in my finger. would not be so bad if......... SHE WERE NOT JUMPING ALL OVER THE BOAT!!  :rivers: been a long time sence I had pain like that.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
Damn brainless, that had to smart!  :therethere:  Sounds like you got it a lot worse than me, I just had to worry about the nathan squirming around, not the fish.  Barbless hooks on the house  :beerchug:
RIP KYOTA

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2008, 10:48:42 AM »
I do my fishing at safeway.... much easier and it doesn't take me all day to NOT catch something...  :hahaha:

Glad your ok Nate, next time just fish off the bridge...  :P
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »
As far down as the water is... could you imagine the speed a lure could gain coming back at me  :yikes:  I was actually fishing off the marina which is closest to the bridge.  I'd fish at the store, but they don't have a live tank and would get pissed when I kept putting them back to catch again  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

jrock

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2008, 07:30:46 PM »
I'd fish at the store, but they don't have a live tank and would get pissed when I kept putting them back to catch again  :haha:
:clap:
Nothing like fresh fish.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 17, 2008, 11:12:58 PM »
Only fish I really keep are salmon.  I caught my first steelhead out of the trinity this year and let it go cause everything seemed ok, turned around to grab my rod and cast out again and it was sitting on the bottom of the river.  Turned around to set down the rod again and by the time I looked back at the fish it was surrounded by a cloud of blood.  I dropped my lure in the current, got lucky and hooked it right in the mouth, brought it back up and took it to the truck.  I don't like keeping trout cause I think they taste very bland, but stocker likes trout so he got a free one  :gap:  I also hook him up with the occassional salmon from the river when I have a good day.
RIP KYOTA

jrock

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 17, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »
I'm glad you feel catch and release is the right choice, I do the same. If the fish didn't take the fight well I will keep it but if it's kicking and strong it gets released. But you gave away a steelhead! Those are not a normal trout. Salmon is good, so is striper and halibut but steelhead is still good.

Brenjen

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Feb '08
  • Blazin' Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:58:52 AM »
I watched my grandmother (tough 'ol bird) push a hook through herself & snip it off with a pair of wire cutters once; it's about the only thing you can do even if you bend down the barb the flesh still hangs on it. Of course this is the same woman who cut her toe off with an ax, stitched it back on, soaked a rag in lamp oil & wrapped the toe in it & went back outside to finish the chopping. I'm surprised she ever died, I was beginning to think it might be impossible.

I miss you granny.
1995 4Runner, bone stock, automatic 3.0, becoming a project slowly but surely

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2008, 07:52:09 AM »
I do my fishing at safeway.... much easier and it doesn't take me all day to NOT catch something...  :hahaha:

C'mon...you just like to read "People" in the check out line.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 18, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »
C'mon...you just like to read "People" in the check out line.

Close I like to laugh at the enquirer.... :hahaha:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2008, 09:37:09 AM »

jrock

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
Dog ate a baited leader?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 21, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »
Quick update;  no infections  :woohoo:  I thought there might be on the side where we snipped it off since I didn't wipe it clean before pulling it back through, but it looks very good!  I've been keeping it covered pretty much the whole time.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 21, 2008, 09:03:59 PM »
Oh yea, and I looked through my gear and found some barbless gamakatsu (sp) hooks for the medium/bigger size lures, then went and bought some for the smaller lures. 
RIP KYOTA

jrock

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 21, 2008, 09:19:27 PM »
Gamakatsu and Owner are the only hooks I use. Ooooooober sharp.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 21, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
Werd, but I had to ditch the gamakatsu for salmon because they kept bending open or breaking and losing fish  :maddest:  I switched over to eagle claw and stopped losing so many salmon.  I've had good luck with owner too, but I haven't found them in the medium and larger treble hooks.
RIP KYOTA

toyotamobing

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 1,244
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Poly Performance
« Reply #28 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »
i thought you arent allowed to use treble hooks for salmon...i use gamagatsu heavy wire 1/0 circle hooks while fishing for sharks and bat rays. ive caught bat rays up to 400+lbs and not had a problem yet, ive only had cheap hooks break
1996 Tacoma 3rz auto 4x4
1993 Jeep XJ 2 door 5spd 4cyl 4x4
1996 Dodge 3500 12V 5spd 4x4

@alteredegospeedshop

MAKING A SLOW TRUCK GO FAST SINCE 2003

!!POLY GOATS!!
www.polygoats.com

POLY PERFORMANCE
www.polyperformance.com

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:36:45 PM »
Yea, just try and keep up with california fishing regulations  :haha:  You can use a treble hook as long as point to shank distance is 1/2" or less I believe, but it may be slightly less.  I use smaller ones for sure in the trinity, 1/2" may be sac river regs.  Gamakatsu single point hooks are super strong, I've broken very few, but for some reason their trebles are super weak.

The look on the kid's face is classic  :yesnod:  Is that like a shallow plateau you walked out on?
RIP KYOTA