Author Topic: help diagnos R151 tranny noise  (Read 2423 times)

dieseltoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Feb '04
  • biodiesel smells good
    • View Profile
    • Clean 4x4
help diagnos R151 tranny noise
« on: Jul 07, 2004, 12:45:50 PM »
I could use some help dignosing a tranny noise.

A little history..

Vehicle is a 1985 4runner, with 3" lift.  I put in a used R151F tranny from a wrecking yard and it worked fine with no odd noises or vibrations etc for about a year. Then on a local run I lost 3rd gear (would not stay in).

So I pulled the tranny out and rebuilt it with Marlins HD bearing retainer plate, and all new bearings, seals, and synchros.

Everything was working great. No noises or anything. Quiet, and shifted perfect with redline MTL.

next day I'm driving in 3rd, and I hear a noise, kind of like the sound you hear when your tire kicks a rock up into your fender well. Immediately, I hear a "rattling" noise. I pull over, look everything over, and all looks good.

When I drive away, the tranny drives normally, and I don't think much of it until later I get on the freeway, and notice the "rattling" noise is there when I am not in gear and coasting at highway speed.

Clutch in or out does not make a difference, but when I move the shift lever like I am going to put it in gear, the noise gets quieter.

So I drain the tranny fluid out through a linnen cloth and inspect the drain plug magnet - no excessive debris.

Later in the week I go on a trail/camping run and drive about 50 miles or so in low range, and everything is normal. (not going fast enough to hear the "noise") When I get out on the highway to go home I notice the noise still there when coasting at highway speed, but is also now audible when I am in 4th or 5th gear, when I am barely touching the gas. (not accelerating or decelerating, but in the "middle")

So I drain the tranny fluid out through a linnen cloth and inspect the drain plug magnet - no excessive debris.

I know I am going to have to pull the tranny out and take a look, but I am not sure what I should be looking for. Sonce the trannie still operates "normal", I am not sure I would see anything, especially since I am not that familiar with these trannies.

The only thing I can think of is maybe I have a problem with a needle bearing, since these are not included with the rebuild kit and I used the old ones.

anyone feeling charitable enough to help?
always keep your mind where they can't get at it.

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Cuttin.....Weldin.....Grindin.....
    • View Profile
Re: help diagnos R151 tranny noise
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2004, 06:29:16 AM »
My G58 is making the same exact noise, I notice the noise still there when coasting at highway speed, but is also now audible when I am in 4th or 5th gear, when I am barely touching the gas. (not accelerating or decelerating, but in the "middle"). Sombody told me my imput bearing is wasted. Im really not to worried 'bout mine, cuz i got a cupla yota trannys, but if it were my R151F id be scared for its well being.
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2004, 04:22:33 PM »
It sounds to me and I mean by what you said  :thumbs: that a bearings is walking on a shaft if that makes any since, but I have never been into a tranny before and just a few T-cases
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

dieseltoy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Feb '04
  • biodiesel smells good
    • View Profile
    • Clean 4x4
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2004, 08:09:48 AM »
It sounds to me and I mean by what you said  :thumbs: that a bearings is walking on a shaft if that makes any since, but I have never been into a tranny before and just a few T-cases

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

Too bad there isn't anyone on this board who is familiar with toyota transmissions who might be able to help figure this out.

I might try asking on a Supra bbs, since I think they have R150's...  (??)
always keep your mind where they can't get at it.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2004, 07:12:15 PM »
im thinkin that maybey one of your bearings found away to spit out one of the needles or balls depending on what bearing and thats what that tink was im prolly wrong but just a thaught :_oops:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2004, 01:18:42 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

Too bad there isn't anyone on this board who is familiar with toyota transmissions who might be able to help figure this out.

I might try asking on a Supra bbs, since I think they have R150's...  (??)

Well Just say HEY MARLIN  :wave:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED