Poll

Dual Ultimate 4.7s with an R151F or Hysteer/Crossover?

Dual Ultimate 4.7 23 Spline
4 (22.2%)
Crossover/Hysteer
10 (55.6%)
fix rear suspension???
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: serious tax refund issue...  (Read 6498 times)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
serious tax refund issue...
« on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:11:06 PM »
I have received my federal refund, and I have some cash to spend. I have decided it NEEDS to be spent on my truck, so here are the requirements for answering the question:
1. no saying, OMG I can't believe you dont have hysteer you should be dead without it!!!
2. this is a DD, but I do beat on it...so strength does come into play.

So, the question is...with about $400 to spend, and already having an R151F transmission (though it's condition is unknown ) I can't make up my mind as to run my R151F with dual 23 Splines and a 4.7 in the rear case, or to go with hysteer, or maybe fix my rear suspension.  I have adapted to driving with the J-Arm ball flip, and can't see myself needing a dual ultimate (right now) so....?

Give me some options guys.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008, 09:20:06 PM by Duffil »

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: seirous tax refund issue...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »
Since you don't know the condition of the transmission...why not go for the hi-steer and if you can the rear suspension. What's wrong with the suspension?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:17:49 PM »
whats wrong with te suspension? the first 2 seem like feasible ideas... but i want to know whats wrong with the rear suspension before imposing judgement
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »
whats wrong with te suspension? the first 2 seem like feasible ideas... but i want to know whats wrong with the rear suspension before imposing judgement

X2, otherwise I think I'd choose the high steer.

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: serious tax refund issue...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »
the rear springs are way too short for the amount of shackle they have, but they match the front end.  the rear end flexes like dried dog crap.  All in all, it's not that bad, just like doing a fat chick, you know? :_oops:

Also, due to $$$ constraints, this is one mod only. :down:

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »
i say the dual t's but how can you get a 23 spline dual ultimate for 400 bucks?

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:24:38 PM »
the rear springs are way too short for the amount of shackle they have, but they match the front end.  the rear end flexes like dried dog crap.  All in all, it's not that bad, just like doing a fat chick, you know? :_oops:

Also, due to $$$ constraints, this is one mod only. :down:

depends on what you d omroe really then... i would fix the ear suspension if it bothers you

but.... hysteer can wait... do you need the duals? sure they are nice to have... but does your current level of play really need it?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:25:28 PM »
that is the issue...I don't really need any of it, but all of the issues bug me. :angry:

I already have duals, it's the 23 spline 4.7s I don't have :gap:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »
Do you have stock springs and longer shackles? I'll bet there's a pair of old psprings around here for cheap or free. I'll look in my garage and ask around here. Where you be stayin'?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »
o i c. go with 4.7's

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
Do you have stock springs and longer shackles? I'll bet there's a pair of old psprings around here for cheap or free. I'll look in my garage and ask around here. Where you be stayin'?
they are mystery springs and shackles...they aren't bad, just flex like poo...only 18" under the rear.  and I am in CenCal...Oakdale.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:32:56 PM »
I won't make any promises, but I'll see if there are any old springs around (I have a ton of crap in my garage).

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »
After hearing about the rear, and seeing it in person, I have to say do that.
But...do it junkyard style and get as much free as you can, you might just have enough left over for one of the other options... :yesnod:

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »
After hearing about the rear, and seeing it in person, I have to say do that.
But...do it junkyard style and get as much free as you can, you might just have enough left over for one of the other options... :yesnod:
I want some 2" lift F150 springs...bot those are common, huh? I REFUSE to run 63s.  Maybe some lifted 3RD Gen springs would work better for me. :dunno:

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:54:38 PM »
i say the dual t's but how can you get a 23 spline dual ultimate for 400 bucks?
I already have an R151F and Tcase in storage, and I have duals now, so 23 spline 4.7s are $399.

EDIT: :pokinit: I forgot about a new coupler, 150 bucks.

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2008, 05:11:29 AM »
I would go for a set of dual fin wiper blades, a fiberglass truck visor, a-pillar wind deflectors and a bug shield.

OH Wait!  :yikes:   Sorry, I thought this was yodatech.  :smack:   Nevermind.  carryon

Seriously, assuming that you already have some sort of rear locker at least, I would go for the hi-steer next.  Doing the duals there are some unknown possible additional costs, like your $150.00 adapter, maybe a crossmember, drive shaft alterations costs, etc.  The hi steer is a done deal for the $$$ and there would be no additional unknown costs to install it.
The rear suspension can be done for cheap if you spend the time to find the right combo of junkyard parts so I wouldn't spend $400 on that if there were other places to spend it.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Intrepidyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Northeast Toyota Crawlers
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:08:52 AM »
I say go for high steer. I ran stock steering for a while and I LOVED high steer in comparison, plus it is stronger so you never have to worry about it. I am a big fan of not worrying about parts of my truck.  :) You have dual cases, so you are already better than stock for crawl ratio, your rear suspension works, even if it isn't great and ford springs can be done cheap, so save up and do those after, definitely high steer first.

I want some 2" lift F150 springs...bot those are common, huh? I REFUSE to run 63s.  Maybe some lifted 3RD Gen springs would work better for me. :dunno:

2" lift as in...for a ford or you want to use f150 springs and hope to gain 2" of lift? I run 57" F-150 springs reversed, I paid $70 for the pair. I had the chevy hanger in the front and used the stock shackle hanger in the rear with 6" eye to eye shackles. I probably got 4" out of them and more once I bobbed and ditched the tailgate on my 4runner.

This is the only picture I could find without the fenders trimmed, this is 34's on ford springs:

I did the ford springs, then cut the fenders as I immediately went with 36's after that. I got plenty of lift.

After the bob, 4" trimmed fenders, 38's, just before I decided to cut off the body  :shake:

I prefer to be low so I think 2" lift springs would be too tall. I like the ford springs because they lack the overhang the chevy's had and they are thinner, so they match my rears up front better.
Northeast Toyota Crawlers

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:46:07 AM »
that is the only pic i've seen where good height was gotten with them without using blocks.  that was the only reason i wanted a lift set.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2008, 07:43:01 AM »
I would go for a set of dual fin wiper blades, a fiberglass truck visor, a-pillar wind deflectors and a bug shield.

OH Wait!  :yikes:   Sorry, I thought this was yodatech.  :smack:   Nevermind.  carryon

:rofl2:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Intrepidyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Northeast Toyota Crawlers
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2008, 12:45:26 PM »
that is the only pic i've seen where good height was gotten with them without using blocks.  that was the only reason i wanted a lift set.

Depends on the spring I assume, a 2wd would be less, a ranger spring would be less. I have 3 leaf springs from a late 90's 4wd in there and in that pic the front half of the overload is in there to act as an anti wrap leaf. It made me pretty much level with my RUF before the bob. I haven't seen a lot of people run them to be honest, so I can't really judge, the ones I have seen, they worked well and I have seen others where they installed them odd, like didn't move the hanger far enough forward, didn't run them reversed, etc.
Northeast Toyota Crawlers

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2008, 01:10:35 PM »
Crossover/hysteer - Just the other day I recieved a not-so-polite reminder of how poorly the J-arm steering works when I drove a friends rig home for him. 

Holy crap, now I remember... :yikes: unintentional lane changes aren't that funny anymore.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

solar86yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Solar-Rockin' the IFS till it dies!(Then it sits)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2008, 03:16:08 PM »
The 4.7's sound like the best improvement to me! That gives you a chance to maybe at least take a look at your trans too if you wanted.(while you have the t-case out) What gives you the idea that it might be bad?
By the time I get the money for an SAS I'll be 65 at this rate!

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2008, 04:07:42 PM »
Crossover/hysteer - Just the other day I recieved a not-so-polite reminder of how poorly the J-arm steering works when I drove a friends rig home for him. 

Holy crap, now I remember... :yikes: unintentional lane changes aren't that funny anymore.

You just have to get used to it!! :gap: thats why my mom does not like to drive my truck! :talkingn: I say go with Hysteer! :biggthumpup:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »
i say high steer is the best bang for your buck.... :eyebrow:...plus stock toyota steering is  :gay:

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »
Well it's looking like hysteer then.  I can continue on with no flex for now, and there is nothing actually wrong with the trans/cases.

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:27:31 PM »
Well it's looking like hysteer then.  I can continue on with no flex for now, and there is nothing actually wrong with the trans/cases.

Well then you wont be needing the R151f then will you  :eyebrow: How can I help you make this happen  :dunno:  :beerchug:

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
Well then you wont be needing the R151f then will you  :eyebrow: How can I help you make this happen  :dunno:  :beerchug:

:usa: :beerwhack:
not yet, but don't worry dave...I'm keeping it. :cheese: I don't know...I don't even know when I'll be doing it.

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »
not yet, but don't worry dave...I'm keeping it. :cheese: I don't know...I don't even know when I'll be doing it.

:biggthumpup: Im spending mine on my cases  :disturbed:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #28 on: Aug 03, 2009, 02:13:41 PM »
Hey I wanted to comment so I don't lose your page, I'm planing on doing similar on my first gen, how far inbound did you go. I'm thinking of running my shackle hangers on the rear rather than the bottom for better deparcher reasons. :beerchug:

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 04, 2009, 02:26:22 AM »
does it really make that much of difference have 4.7 in the rear in dual setup?
reason i ask if because i a dual setup w/ twin sticks and when i engage 4 low... i can walk faster then my truck, and with that being said...
what's the main advantage of that 4.7 in rear. i've been wanting to put 4.7 in my rear t-case for a few months now but can't seem to make up my mind.....not only that but 400.00 comes by hard and goes very easy.