Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 713107 times)

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #120 on: Jul 07, 2004, 11:18:34 PM »
Brainless fool is right, if you buy a car that is not running but you still want t get everything in your name you do it an a Non Op.  But you cant have it on public roads.  Cali sucks on all the smog laws

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #121 on: Jul 07, 2004, 11:33:17 PM »
wow, cali is strict. so mike what got accomplished today
Im an OG

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #122 on: Jul 07, 2004, 11:42:37 PM »
funny that people say that but it has NO safety inspection - does your state? It's a 30 year no smog rule and NO diesels have to be smogged - do they in your state? No smog for alternative fuel vehicles either..

I think cali is easy and if you can't pass you shouldn't be driving..

If ya want to go nuts go old - that is what my 57 chevy is for :)

I can't complain with the 5.0 power in my yota though, it was super easy smog wise..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #123 on: Jul 08, 2004, 12:22:32 AM »
My advice.. DON'T DO IT!

My truck is soooo hot to ride in....
Hmmm... could it be because you dont use doors? Also, my exhaust will be on the passengers side so maybe only he/she will be effected.

I can't find a good pic of mine, I'll have to take one..
If you've got some more shots, perferably some close ups, that would be great. Even if I dont do it I would like more info. There is a local guy here in town who did it but I cant seem to get ahold of him...

What if you just pop some holes into the inner fender?....you think the cab would still run hot? :headscratch:
I don't get what you are saying.
He is saying what if you just cut out some small areas and not remove the entire inner fender. :duh:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2004, 03:56:32 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Jul 08, 2004, 12:24:46 AM »
Hey mikey, I was under my 83 looking at the tank. MAN there is no room under there. the rear of the tank is like 1.5 inches from the shock . and the front is very close to the cab.   maybe mines diff. cuzes it the custom cab thingy.
Hey BLF, I was checking under a 90s style shortbed we had up on the lift today and it is near impossible. Their is absolutely NO room at all. Im pretty dissapointed because I wanted to run a larger tank. I also want to put a spare under there so I guess that project has reached a dead-end..

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Jul 08, 2004, 12:27:52 AM »
so mike what got accomplished today
Ahhh Wednesday was a no progress day for me. Instead I went to a friends bd party. It was ok and the food was good, but I was home by 9pm (too early) and I felt like I could have worked on my truck instead.. Oh well, it was good for my buddy!

Tomorrow I will clean and prepare the engine bay for the 3RZ to be test fitted Friday evening. If all goes well, I could have it mounted by the end of this weekend.  :best:

BigMike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Jul 08, 2004, 12:32:48 AM »
mike i dont get what your saying. if you bought a car with no motor how do u get it smogged?
Well, about the smog issue, I will 100% have no problems getting it to smog. That engine is gonna be so pollution free it'll be ridiculous. But what Ive gotta make sure is that the ref passes the visual inspection of the engine conversion. And since Im doing this so quickly, I wont have time to install the 90s style dash/interior so I wont have a check engine light, so I am going to have to jerry-rig some light on the dash for the inspector. Also I dont care about wiring in the oil pressure, engine temp, tachometer, voltmeter, etc. because the entire 81' dash is coming out very soon. So Ive heard that they dont need any thing to work to be "smog legal", just the check engine light needs to come on when the key is on the On pos, and then turn off once the engine is running. I believe that is the only requirement for the dash in order to pass smog. So I will just stash the ECU inside the glove box and do some quick job, but!!, It's gotta look good or else he will think Im some tweaker kid and he will fail the inspection...

So thats what Im talking about. sheesh

BigMike

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #127 on: Jul 08, 2004, 01:06:19 AM »
thats cool. your truck  has a tach in it right now right? i bet 81toy4x would buy that off u in a heart beat. sounds like your going to be having a fun time with these inspectors
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Jul 08, 2004, 01:35:37 AM »
Hey Brandon, WA has no inspection either unless your rig hasn't been tabbed in 2 years. ;) 

Mike I put the tank from my 84 x-cab under a buddies 86 short box and I believe it gave him a 2 gallon increase.  Not a huge jump but better than a kick in the nads. :dunno:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

lal357

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Jul 08, 2004, 03:52:59 AM »
this por15 stuff where do you get it i got 2 yota's the 82 is gone cab is sitting on the frame and the frame is almost rusted in twoso it my part rig now  .my 80 the bed is rusted out (going to a flatbed ) but the frame still looks good when i get the bed off i was wanting to treat it and paint it
as for inspection i use to,live in NJ those dmv's are anal you have to get checked every year they check everything on your car/truck they even have a brake test where they drive your car onto some pads and hit the brakes to see if it breaks even i went thru one time in a car with no breaks and the guy wouldnt believe me so he gave it the gas and almost hit the car in the next section he got out mad i just told him "i told you so"
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Jul 08, 2004, 05:49:18 AM »
The only place around here that carries it is called Paint and Equipment.  They are a PPG distributor.  Hope that helps.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Jul 08, 2004, 08:16:18 AM »
I have a buddy that works in the inpection business so I just show up and he gives me the stik...Oh mikey is your truck going to be a DD?  Because I have also been thinking of the small gas tanks and if I get a truck to make it my trail rig I was thinking if it would be possible to put a 2nd tank on the bed?
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Jul 08, 2004, 08:29:04 AM »
Hey Brandon, WA has no inspection either unless your rig hasn't been tabbed in 2 years. ;) 

Mike I put the tank from my 84 x-cab under a buddies 86 short box and I believe it gave him a 2 gallon increase.  Not a huge jump but better than a kick in the nads. :dunno:

kewl, I was told differenty but I don't live there so I dunno ;)

There is actually a law in CO that says no LIFTS, period! Ya also gotta smog diesels there, and we had to smog our 53' jeep there too. Smog is more of just a visual but still..

Mike, I ran Jerry cans on the back of my jeep that were plumbed in line and had a separate fuel pump on a toggle switch. It worked great cause the gauge didn't ;)

I didn't cut the entire inner fenders out, only about 4" or so up from what is there stock on each side.

I found these, they show it pretty good. As for small holes vs big I'll admit it's all for the bling effect - the motor didn't need any more cooling  :driving:

For the smog they also want a working ebrake FYI :)

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2004, 08:35:34 AM by Brandon »
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

Brian83

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 319
  • Male Posts: 243
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Jul 08, 2004, 09:53:32 AM »
Brandon, there is a law in CO that states lifts are illegal, BUT, there was a court ruling that this code cannot be enforced because it is unconstitutional. The only reason it has been left in the code book is because it would cost the taxpayers and courts a lot of time and money to remove it, so they just amended it and ruled it is un-enforceable. here it is straight from the book.

42-4-233. Alteration of suspension system.
Statute text
(1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under the laws of this state upon a public highway with either the rear or front suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturer's original design except in accordance with specifications permitting such alteration established by the department. Nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of manufactured heavy duty equipment to include shock absorbers and overload springs, nor shall anything contained in this section prevent a person from operating a motor vehicle on a public highway with normal wear of the suspension system if normal wear shall not affect the control of the vehicle.

(2) This section shall not apply to motor vehicles designed or modified primarily for off-highway racing purposes, and such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of this state.

(3) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense.

History
Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2267, § 1, effective January 1, 1995.

Annotations
Editor's note: This section was formerly numbered as 42-4-232 and the former section 42-4-233 was relocated to section 42-4-234.

Annotations
Cross references: For the penalty for class 2 misdemeanor traffic offenses, see § 42-4-1701 (3)(a)(II).

Annotations
ANNOTATION

Annotations
Annotator's note. Since § 42-4-233 is similar to § 42-4-232 as it existed prior to the 1994 amending of title 42 as enacted by SB 94-1 a relevant case construing that provision has been included in the annotations to this section.

Section unconstitutional. This section's flat prohibition against any motor vehicle suspension system alteration, except the installation of heavy duty shock absorbers or springs, is unconstitutionally overbroad. People v. Von Tersch, 180 Colo. 295, 505 P.2d 5 (1973) (decided prior to 1975 amendment).
Common sense just isn't that common anymore

81Toy4x

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #134 on: Jul 08, 2004, 11:10:39 AM »
BigMike, since you're taking the dash out of your truck and putting in a third gen dash, I want that tach.  How much for the tach?  I need that thing bad.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: Jul 08, 2004, 11:34:25 AM »
81Toy,

Since im trying to push everything quick for the 20th of Aug, I am not sure if I will have time to get everything changed out by then. I will be recieving the new interior in about 2 weeks, but I dont know when I will be converting it. I will let you know and I will save it for ya!
I also have the SR5 factory two gauges that go below the center area of the dash. It has the oil pressure and volt meter on it. If someone here wants it, then they will have priority, but if I take it off and no one wants it, then it'll be up for grabs.

BigMike

81Toy4x

• Marlin Crawler
« Reply #136 on: Jul 08, 2004, 12:08:02 PM »
I want those extra two guages! Can you show a picture of the dash, because I want to make sure your tach is right for my truck.  Thanks

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Jul 08, 2004, 12:08:13 PM »
Big Mike, someone hear had that problem with the check engine light.  Does yours have a oil light because I think that person just hooked it to the oil light and  it does exactly what you need it to do

81Toy4x

• Marlin Crawler
« Reply #138 on: Jul 08, 2004, 12:13:12 PM »
Oh, and Mike if the steering wheel, and the steering column cover are black and you are replacing those also, then consider them mine along with the other stuff.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #139 on: Jul 08, 2004, 12:14:31 PM »
wow brian83 bustin out the law!
Im an OG

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Jul 08, 2004, 01:13:57 PM »
Big Mike, someone hear had that problem with the check engine light.  Does yours have a oil light because I think that person just hooked it to the oil light and  it does exactly what you need it to do

yea that doesn't make any sense at all. You think a check engine light is so the man can watch you? Personally I want to know if there is something wrong with my engine.. As far as smog goes it doesn't matter since they hook it up anyway and if you had a check engine light on they would know - but a light on doesn't mean you don't pass.

That's like saying you can make a steering arm out of foam and paint it gray to look like steel. Why not just do it right?
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Jul 08, 2004, 03:17:33 PM »
That's like saying you can make a steering arm out of foam and paint it gray to look like steel. Why not just do it right?

Thats some funny shizzle right there! lol 

Mike I hate to thread jack on ya but here goes.  If you guys get a deal hammered out on the dash stuff lemme know and Ill have my old man pick it up while hes down there.  That will save you both time and hassle with shipping.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Jul 08, 2004, 04:00:38 PM »
brian83 are you a lawyer? :headscratch:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Jul 08, 2004, 06:21:28 PM »
Hey BigMike you are really gettin after this thing. On the color subject I like the Ford Sonic Blue it's the color of my mustang and it tends to change color some what , pretty awsome. And for the engine swap , are you gonna have the OBD2 diagnosis port in truck also ? Cause they plug into that sucker for the smog test to keep track of whats going on and make sure that all the check points in the motor have been met.
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Jul 08, 2004, 11:04:50 PM »
yea that doesn't make any sense at all. You think a check engine light is so the man can watch you? Personally I want to know if there is something wrong with my engine.. As far as smog goes it doesn't matter since they hook it up anyway and if you had a check engine light on they would know - but a light on doesn't mean you don't pass.

The point is he is trying to rush it so he can get it going...then do it right.  The inspector will turn the key and check to make sure the light turns on then off once the engine is running, hooking it to the oil light will accomplish that.  Yes when he gets the new dash in he is going to do everything right, because he does want to know when there is something wrong with his engine

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Jul 08, 2004, 11:47:40 PM »
it is just as easy to wire the correct wire as it is to wire it to the oil sender though..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Jul 09, 2004, 02:07:32 AM »
it is just as easy to wire the correct wire as it is to wire it to the oil sender though..
That's true, but the 79-83 cabs didnt use a check engine lamp.

Thursday,

Updates! Tonight I wanted to clean out the engine bay and make it look nice, but boy I didnt know what I was getting in to.. It's just past 2am now and I just got home.

I removed 95% of everything from the engine bay, cleaned it and then painted it black. I painted the underside of my hood on my MR2 black and I always wanted to paint the engine bay, but I never had time. So I really wanted to do it to my truck. I didnt know what it would turn out like or if it will even last, but I took a wack at it anyhow.

This is my first time ever spray painting a vehicle. So maybe you think this is pretty hokey, but I did it. It was too much work and I dont think I will ever do this again. Its not going to be a show truck so I dont know what I was thinking.. And since this is my first time ever painting, I dont want to hear how bad I did. If youve got some critisim then dont do it to your rig. At least this way you can see what it looks like and decide for yourself :biggthumpup:

So on with the pics!
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2004, 02:23:57 AM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Jul 09, 2004, 02:08:58 AM »
The battery tray was terribly rusted and pitted so I converted that to primer with some antirust spray, and then started from there... the other spots were "potiential rust areas" so I wacked the rust outta there
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2004, 02:25:41 AM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Jul 09, 2004, 02:13:14 AM »
I just simply used a solvent-soaked rag and vigerously wipped everything down and then ran a clean dry rag over to dry it. Painting was very easy and I had no runs at all.

The hardest area to both clean and paint was around the brake booster and steering rod. I didnt really care about the booster since it will be upgraded to a larger bore booster (90s style), so I just did my best and decided I will touch it up when I exchange the boosters..
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2004, 02:26:48 AM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Jul 09, 2004, 02:16:09 AM »
As you can see, I removed almost everything to paint it. So I started with removing the wiring loom which turned out to be a job in itself. Some wacko decided to install some kc hi-lights and went hog wild with his wiring job. Whoever it was had no wiring experience at all. Wires were just crimped and ran all over the place.

Here is a shot of the wiring mess I found in the engine bay, and also under the dash! :o