Author Topic: battery box repair or move  (Read 2480 times)

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
battery box repair or move
« on: Mar 10, 2008, 10:15:14 AM »
ok i got tired of my battery flopping around on the bumps and stuff. i got to fix this and i can't weld very good.  :flamer: anyone got some pic's of a good fix? or is there a good place to move it.  i got it in the cab while i drive it to work.  :driving:  it's in a 79 gen one.

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
Re: battery box repair or move
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2008, 11:39:09 AM »
I know of several people that have relocated the battery to the drivers fender on second gen trucks. just moved the air cleaner to the other side and used the short rubber hose from the throttle body and junked the plastic one accross the radiator. That said it helps you very little in your first gen. I would just rebuild your current one and if you cant weld that well jsut build it from sheat metal and "pop rivet" it in. Just drill the spot welds out from the old one then use it as a rough pattern for your new one.       
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
Please....whatever you do..dont use a bungie cord to hold it down...I see that too often 'round here  :screwy:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »
no i had a rubber strap to keep it from falling in the engine. and the hood was keeping it from jumping out.   :willynilly: yeah

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »
drilling out the pop rivets sounds like a good idea. i can weld, just not very good. so if i can find another box and remove it without too much damage maybe i could weld it back in.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »
no i had a rubber strap to keep it from falling in the engine. and the hood was keeping it from jumping out.   :willynilly: yeah
haha I kinda figured you did  :talkingn: The only reason I say that is that I've seen a battery jump into a radiator fan and kill the engine
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2008, 12:09:19 PM »
drilling out the pop rivets sounds like a good idea. i can weld, just not very good. so if i can find another box and remove it without too much damage maybe i could weld it back in.

That would probably be pretty easiest, the welding shouldn't be too difficult maybe stitch weld here and there til' it's all tied in.  What type of welder will you be working with?
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2008, 12:14:28 PM »
i completly removed my stock one, as it was rusted and bent. i bolted one in from some type of nissan, just drilled a couple of holes.. if i remember, i will try to take a picture later. it uses the stock hold down. btw, a rubber strap is a bungee cord, and a bad idea.. it isnt safe. use a real battery hold down 
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »
yeah take a picture I'd like to see how ya got it. i want that battery to stay put. I'm going to replace it and i don't want to destroy a new battery. I'd like to find a good battery that's light but i could still use with a winch.

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »
haha I kinda figured you did  :talkingn: The only reason I say that is that I've seen a battery jump into a radiator fan and kill the engine
That happend to me once! lol 
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2008, 05:51:34 AM »

I've also seen the battery jump up and both posts short out on the hood.  lots of sparks, melting wires and lead, as well as a dead truck.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2008, 06:23:42 AM »
I have wasted a few of the lead plare/ acid type batterys. It was becouse the batterys were flailing about, and becouse of the shock the batterys were given on hard bumps, or bounces. This lead to one of the cells in the battery going bad, and the battery not holding or taking an adequate charge. The lead plates just don't seem to stay intact long term, when in abusive conditions. I then when to an optima, and now a gel filled battery, which is a cross between a optima, and an oldschool, lead, and acid, type battery.

My current battery tray is an angle iron frame, welded to the factory location, with a small brace/clamp type pice on each side, to prevent it from sliding in any direction, or floping up, or down.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2008, 06:51:55 AM »

My current battery tray is an angle iron frame, welded to the factory location, with a small brace/clamp type pice on each side, to prevent it from sliding in any direction, or floping up, or down.
That seems to be the simplest solution.....a small rectangle shaped frame welded out of angle iron with a couple metal bands holding it down  :biggthumpup:
RIP KYOTA

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
yeah i did weld up a little frame like that. guess i could see if it fits after i remove all the rusted metal out of the way.

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2008, 04:05:23 PM »
ok cleaned old metal away. holes!!!  :willynilly: going to have to deal with that too.  :tantrum:

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
Please....whatever you do..dont use a bungie cord to hold it down...I see that too often 'round here  :screwy:
i had a bungie holding mine down for a long time. before i had the bungie the stock bent up mangled hold down let my battery scoot over enough to hit my PS pully and put hole in the side of it. im on my third batt cuz of that. i just built a new tray out of angle steel also relocated it to the back. it was pretty easy. im still using a bungie though :greengrin:
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »
i removed the weak rusted metal and ended up with a big hole. cut out a plate for it and discovered my flux-core wire feed loved burning holes though the thin rusted metal. (should have cut more away, but hey i told you i didn't know how to weld.) so i borrowed a solid core set up. yeah i freaked out and the welds were to cold, but finally got it right. after i welded in the plate and filled in my mistakes with some plastic metal. bolted in the frame and it feels stout.  going to put 2 supports where the X's are. then build some hold downs to keep everything in place.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2008, 11:13:44 PM »

That's why I run an optima  :haha:  Fix looks pretty good man, looks like the battery trays I've built for some houseboats, cept I like to cut the ends at a 45 for a cleaner look! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »
 thanks.. just trying to keep the old truck going. yeah cutting the ends 45 would look cleaner, but i didn't want to push my luck. on the good side once the battery is in.. really can't see the frame anyway.  I'd like to mount a battery behind the cab somewhere. might do that next.  didn't like the idea of it being close to the hot exhaust or fuel tank. plus bad visions of being dead in the middle of the river.