Author Topic: Dictionary of 4 Wheeling Terms  (Read 5575 times)

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Dictionary of 4 Wheeling Terms
« on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:55:13 AM »
So I gave my fiance a 4 wheeler mag cause I thought she might like an article.  Well She ended up loving the magazine but she didn't understand several terms.  So here is a thread for all of the wheeling terms us wheeling folks use.  So post up!!

ADDITIONAL POSTS BESIDES THE ONE BELOW:
DRIVER: The rotation of the steering wheel to the left  (from the driver's seat position)
GETTING IT: A full throttle, wheel spinning attempt at traversing an obistacle.
HUMMER: Most wortless 4x4 ever made. Especially the H2 and H3.
JEEP: Also known as a tampon; feminine hygiene product
NEED SOME PAPER: Needed after Sucking Seat
PASSENGER: The rotation of the steering wheel to the right  (from the driver's seat position)
PUCKER FACTOR: personal inclinometer, a personal indicator of how much danger you can stand.
RIG: Vehicle Used to wheel with (most of the time its a project in the making all of the time)
SPARES: parts often needed to replace broken parts, after attempting to cross an obstacle in the manner listed above...often includes physical parts and ancillary supplies needed to ensure the longevity of replacement parts.
STEALERSHIP: The last place you want to go to buy a part you can't find anywhere else (aka: Dealership)
SUCKING SEAT: (1)An uneasy feeling or nervous tension caused by a precarious prdicament while traversing ofcamber situations. (2) A phenomenon related to Pucker factor, this situation occurs when the personal inclinometer exceeds its calibrated limits. This limit is set by the owner of each individual Pucker factor and varies by owner, in fact each passenger owns one as well and usually the driver has the best one since once an individuals Pucker factor reaches its limit a sucking sound is heard and then the passenger must exit the vehicle to remove the seat cover and recalibrate the Pucker factor.
WRENCHING: Working on/or fixing a vehicle.
YARD SALE: when you roll over and everything in your bed falls out
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2008, 10:21:08 AM by Yota87Truck »

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Dictionary of 4 Wheeling Terms
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
ABS: Antilock Braking System.
AIR DOWN: To lower the air pressure in the tires to improve traction off-road.
AIR LOCKER: A brand of locking differential from ARB. It acts like an open differential until it’s actuated by compressed air. Then it completely locks, causing both tires to rotate at the same speed regardless of traction.
APPROACH ANGLE: The maximum incline angle that a vehicle can climb without encountering front bumper or undercarriage damage.
ARMOR-CLAD: Slang for a vehicle that is equipped with heavy-duty skidplates for the undercarriage or body protection.
BASKET CASE: An engine or vehicle that is in pieces.
BEATER: A thrashed and very ugly truck that’s usually mechanically sound. In some circles, this is used as a derogatory term, but in four-wheeling it can be a term of respect.
BEEFING: A general term used to describe modifying a stock part or vehicle to be stronger. An upgraded part or truck can also be referred to as beefed-up.
BOG: (1) The large pit of mud at a mud-bog race. (2) Running an engine below its intended rpm range by being in a gear that’s too high for the speed or load.
BOMBER:Another word for a beater, although this usually refers to a poorly running beater.
BISCUIT: Slang for body bushings used to lift the body of the vehicle from the frame to gain ground clearance. They are also referred to as donuts.
BULLETPROOF: When a truck or part is upgraded or modified so that it is extremely strong.
CORNBINDER: Slang for any truck made by International Harvester because the company is known for its farming equipment. These trucks are also referred to as ’Binders.
CRAWL RATIO: The lowest gear ratio in a truck, found by multiplying the First-gear ratio times the low-range ratio times the axle ratio.
DOUBLE-LINE: To route the winch cable from the vehicle to a snatch block, then back to the vehicle. This doubles the pulling power of the winch but cuts its speed in half.
DROOP: Downward suspension travel.
DROPPED PITMAN ARM: An aftermarket part that extends farther to the steering linkage than the stock arm. It corrects steering geometry by reducing the drag-link angle in relation to the tie rods on lifted 4x4s. A pitman arm connects the steering box to the truck’s steering linkage.
FLAT-TOP: A piston without a dish or dome, although it usually has valve reliefs machined into the top.
FULL-FLOATER: A rearend design in which the axles don’t carry the weight of the vehicle. This is the preferred setup for ’wheeling because if the axle breaks, the vehicle can still roll freely.
FULLSIZE: Usually the largest pickup truck a manufacturer makes for the public. The term has been used rather loosely in recent years as vehicles have become smaller. A Toyota T100 is called a fullsize even though many would argue it is not big enough.
GNARLY: (1) A trail that is extremely difficult. (2) Both a positive and a negative description (depending on the context) used by younger generations.
GO-JUICE: Gasoline.
GRANNY LOW: An ultralow First gear in a manual transmission, typically between 4.3:1 and 7.0:1. If Granny can pass you in her walker while you are in First gear, you have a granny-low First gear.
GRENADE: To blow up a part on your truck. Trannies, rearends, transfer cases, and engines can grenade. This is definitely a bad thing.
HEAVY METAL: Slang for a fullsize truck.
HIGH-CENTERED: When a vehicle is caught on an obstacle near the center, usually on the frame, and is unable to move. This is more common with stock-height vehicles traveling over rough terrain.
HUMMER: A vehicle made by AM General. It was originally produced for the military but is now available to civilians. The military uses the designation HMMWV (pronounced Hum-Vee), which stands for High Mobility Multiple Wheeled Vehicle.
HYDRAULIC’D: A nasty occurrence in which the engine sucks water into the cylinders through the intake. Unfortunately, water doesn’t compress well, and the result is usually bent connecting rods and valves, which make the engine unable to turn.
KISS: When a truck lightly hits an object such as a rock, but neither sustains damage, as in, “Did you hit that rock?” “No, I just kissed it.”
LIFT BLOCK: A block placed between the rear axle and leaf springs to gain lift. Lift blocks should never be used on front axles, and such use is illegal in most states.
LIFTED: A truck that is raised by either a suspension or a body lift or both.
LINE: The positioning and maneuvering of a truck over an obstacle. The line a driver takes can be the difference between success and stuck.
LOCKED IN: Manual locking hubs set in the lock position are said to be locked in.
LOCKED UP: (1) A 4x4 that has locking differentials at both ends is locked up. (2) A hydraulic’d motor is usually locked up.
LOCKER: A differential that allows engine power to be delivered to both wheels, giving maximum traction. This is helpful during situations when one wheel is off the ground.
LOW GEARS: Gears with a numerically higher ratio; 4.56 gears are lower than 3.73 gears.
MASSAGED: (1) Modifications usually to an engine or body. (2) Sheetmetal damage that occurs from hitting rocks or other obstacles during four-wheeling.
MEATS: Tires. Also referred to as donuts, treads, or rubber. Generally used when referring to oversized tires.
MONDO: Large, huge, or massive.
OFF CAMBER: When the trail is on a sideways incline, usually very steep. Off-camber trails increase the likelihood of a rollover.
OFF-ROAD: A misnomer for driving on established dirt trails. Unfortunately, in recent years this term has become politically incorrect because it implies leaving the trail and bounding through the countryside. The correct term is “off-highway,” but most people (including us) still use off-road to refer to driving on dirt roads.
OPEN DIFFERENTIAL: A differential that usually comes stock on 4x4s. It directs power to the wheel with the least resistance to spinning. One-leggers and peg-leggers are slang terms for open diffs.
PAPERWEIGHT: A part that is broken beyond repair.
PLUMBING: Any hose on a vehicle, such as the brake lines.
PTO: Power Take-Off. An output shaft on the transfer case or transmission that sends engine power to accessories like a PTO winch. A PTO-driven accessory is not very common on noncommercial vehicles.
PUMP GAS: 85- to 93-octane gas available at filling stations.
PUMPKIN: The centersection of a front or rear differential housing. This can also refer to a removable centersection such as the kind used in a Ford 9-inch or a Toyota rear differential housing.
ROCKCRAWLER: A 4x4 built specifically for maneuvering through rocky terrain.
SHOW TRUCK: A customized truck that is built specifically for competing in shows and for looks. These trucks rarely see use.
SNATCH BLOCK: A winching device used to double-line or to change the winch’s direction of pull. It usually consists of a hook, or some other method of attaching the device to an anchor, and a pulley for the winch cable.
SUCKING SAND: If you are following a vehicle on a dry dirt road with the windows open, you are sucking sand.
SWAMPED: (1) When a vehicle becomes stuck while submarining and fills with water. (2) An engine that has either stalled or hydraulic’d during a water crossing.
TACO’D: A frame or other part such as an axle that has been severely bent, usually when the truck has been jumped too high.
TAG: To hit an obstacle with some part of the truck, as in “I tagged my bumper on that ledge.”
TAIL GUNNER: The last vehicle in a trail-ride caravan. The tail gunner is usually responsible for making sure everyone finishes the trail.
TALL GEARS: Gears with a numerically lower ratio; 3.73:1 gears are taller than 4.56:1 gears.
T-CASE: Short for transfer case. A device usually attached directly to the transmission. The transfer case is a gearbox that splits engine power to the front and rear axles. You can select two-wheel-drive or four-wheel-drive high or low range with most transfer cases.
THRASHED: When something has been used far beyond its limit. For example, when a truck has been beaten with wreckless abandon on a trail it had no business being on in the first place, it is said to have been thrashed.
THREE-WHEELING: A term used to describe when one tire has left the ground while ’wheeling. For example, if the driver-side front tire drops into a large enough hole, the passenger-side rear tire will lift off the ground.
TODIOUS: A term our colleagues at 4-Wheel & Off-Road dreamed up, and we intend to use it shamelessly. It means huge, massive, or enlarged. For example, 44-inch Mudders are todious meats.
TRAIL BOSS: The trail leader on a trail ride.
TRAILER QUEEN: Something you will not see in this magazine. It’s a 4x4 that pretends to be trail-ready, but it’s really just a show truck carted around on a trailer.
TRANNY: Short for transmission.
TREE-HUGGER: Derogatory term for an extreme environmentalist; not to be confused with Tree-Saver (see below).
TWEAK: (1) Modifying something to enhance performance, usually called tweaking. (2) To incur body or component damage, as in “I tweaked my bumper when I hit that rock.”
TREE-SAVER: A nylon strap designed to go around a tree to protect it while it’s being used as an anchor point for winching. This is much better than wrapping the cable around the tree, which ruins the cable and the tree.
WHEEL TRAVEL: The total distance a wheel can travel up and down. As a general rule, the more wheel travel, the better.
YANK STRAP: A large nylon strap used for pulling out stuck vehicles. Also referred to as a tow strap.4x4

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:39:15 AM »
slow day at work Mini?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:41:18 AM »
slow day at work Mini?
Just a fast internet searcher, it was the first link on Google. :dunno:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:52:21 AM »
Google is our friend!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
Getting it > A full throttle, wheel spinning attempt at traversing an obistacle.

Sucking seat> An uneasy feeling or nervous tension caused by a precarious prdicament while traversing ofcamber situations.

Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:29:18 AM »
Need Some Paper> Needed after Sucking Seat
Time to go wheelin!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
Getting it > A full throttle, wheel spinning attempt at traversing an obistacle.

Spares: parts often needed to replace broken parts, after attempting to cross an obstacle in the manner listed above...often includes physical parts and ancillary supplies needed to ensure the longevity of replacement parts.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »
DRIVER - The rotation of the steering wheel to the left  (from the driver's seat position)

PASSENGER - The rotation of the steering wheel to the right  (from the driver's seat position)

:gap:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:13:11 PM »
Rig-Vehicle Used to wheel with (most of the time its a project in the making all of the time)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »
Pucker factor: personal inclinometer, a personal indicator of how much danger you can stand.

Sucking Seat: a phenomenon related to Pucker factor, this situation occurs when the personal inclinometer exceeds its calibrated limits. This limit is set by the owner of each individual Pucker factor and varies by owner, in fact each passenger owns one as well and usually the driver has the best one since once an individuals Pucker factor reaches its limit a sucking sound is heard and then the passenger must exit the vehicle to remove the seat cover and recalibrate the Pucker factor.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TheTransporter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 76
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:01:47 PM »
yard sale: when you roll over and everything in your bed falls out
you think nobody cares about you? try missing a couple of car payments.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »
Jeep - Also known as a tampon; feminine hygiene product
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
HUMMER: Most wortless 4x4 ever made. Especially the H2 and H3.

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:03:10 PM »
:eye:

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
These were too cool, i loved what ya came up with mini

military_stang
:respect:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »
These were too cool, i loved what ya came up with mini

military_stang
:respect:
Just stole it off someone elses site. :_oops:

MrsYota87Truck

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Female Posts: 6
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »
Hi, so I'm the fiance- I really have the wheeling bug... I love everything to do with it now! so thanks for the words, any more or advice would be much loved!! THANKYOU!!!
I've caught the wheelin' bug and I'm lovin' it!!!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:24:23 AM »
Hi, so I'm the fiance- I really have the wheeling bug... I love everything to do with it now! so thanks for the words, any more or advice would be much loved!! THANKYOU!!!
  :welcome: 2 :turtle:

[spoiler]:worthless: :boobs:[/spoiler]

To add another:
Stealership - The last place you want to go to buy a part you can't find anywhere else (aka: Dealership)

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:52:17 AM »
Somewhere I thought I had a bunch of these definitions, but can't seem to find them right now. So here's something that's a little different, but still the same thing.

How to Read a Haynes Manual:

Haynes: Rotate anticlockwise.
Translation: Clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with hammer anticlockwise.

Haynes: This is a snug fit.
Translation: Clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: This is a tight fit.
Translation: Clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with a hammer.

Haynes: As described in Chapter 7...
Translation: That'll teach you not to read through before you start. Now you
are looking at scary photos of the inside of a gearbox.

Haynes: Pry...
Translation: Hammer a screwdriver into...

Haynes: Undo...
Translation: Go buy a tin of WD40 (giant economy size).

Haynes: Retain tiny spring...
Translation: PINGGGG - "Where the hell did that go?"

Haynes: Press and rotate to remove bulb...
Translation: OK - that's the glass bit off, now fetch some good pliers to dig
out the bayonet part (and maybe a plaster or two).

Haynes: Lightly...
Translation: Start off lightly and build up till the veins on your forehead
are throbbing then clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: Weekly checks...
Translation: If it isn't broken don't fix it.

Haynes: Routine maintenance...
Translation: If it isn't broken, it's about to be. We warned you...

Haynes: One spanner rating.
Translation: An infant could do this... so how did you manage to f**k it up?

Haynes: Two spanner rating.
Translation: Now you may think that you can do this because two is a low, teensy weensy number... but you also thought the wiring diagram was a map of the Tokyo underground (in fact that would have been more use to you).

Haynes: Three spanner rating.
Translation: Make sure you won't need your car for a couple of days

Haynes: Four spanner rating.
Translation: You're not seriously considering this are you?

Haynes: Five spanner rating.
Translation: OK - but don't ever carry your loved ones in it again.

Haynes: If not, you can fabricate your own special tool like this...
Translation: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Haynes: Compress...
Translation: Squeeze with all your might, jump up and down on it, throw it at the garage wall, and then find some molegrips and a hammer...

Haynes: Inspect...
Translation: Squint at really hard and pretend you know what you are looking at, then declare in a loud knowing voice to your wife "Yep, as I thought, it's going to need a new one"

Haynes: Carefully...
Translation: You are about to suffer deep abrasions.

Haynes: Retaining nut...
Translation: Yes, that's it, that big spherical blob of rust.

Haynes: Get an assistant...
Translation: Prepare to humiliate yourself in front of someone you know.

Haynes: Turning the engine will be easier with the spark plugs removed.
Translation: However, starting the engine afterwards will be much harder. Once that sinking pit of your stomach feeling has subsided, you can start to feel deeply ashamed as you gingerly refit the spark plugs.

Haynes: Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal.
Translation: Yeah, right. But you swear in different places.

Haynes: Prise away plastic locating pegs...
Translation: Snap off...

Haynes: Using a suitable drift...
Translation: Clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: Everyday toolkit
Translation: RAC Card & Mobile Phone

Haynes: Apply moderate heat...
Translation: Unless you have a blast furnace, don't bother. Alternatively, clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: Index
Translation: List of all the things in the book, bar what you need to do.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:55:37 AM »
Tool Description List:

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing seats and motorcycle jackets.

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning steel Pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age, but it also works great for drilling mounting holes in fenders just above the brake line that goes to the rear wheel.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board
principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VICE- GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a brake drum you're trying to get the bearing grease out of.

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for, the last 15 minutes.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted part you were drying.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Ouch...."

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering a motorcycle to the ground after you have installed your new front disk brake setup, trapping the jack handle firmly under the front fender.

EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4: Used for levering a motorcycle upward off a hydraulic jack.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters.

PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbor to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

SNAP-ON GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog-doo off your boot.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.

TIMING LIGHT: A stroboscopic instrument for illuminating grease build up.

TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST: A handy tool for testing the tensile strength of ground straps and brake lines you may have forgotten to disconnect.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large motor mount prying tool that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end without the handle.

BATTERY ELECTROLYTE TESTER: A handy tool for transferring sulphuric acid from a car battery to the inside of your tool box after determining that your battery is dead as a door nail, just as you thought.

METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: The mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under motorcycles at night. Health benefits aside, its main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate that 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off Phillips screw heads and can double as oil filter removal wrench by stabbing through stubborn oil filters.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last tightened 60 years ago by someone in Springfield, and rounds them off.

PRYBAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut hoses 1/2 inch too short.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »
woooooo lots of terms to know
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)