Author Topic: The Pack Rats must die!!!!  (Read 2832 times)

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
The Pack Rats must die!!!!
« on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:12:26 PM »
The Pack Rats must die!!!   :tantrum:  First they packed in a bunch of leaves and crap and pooped in the floor and peed all over!  Then to make matters worse they chewed up some wires in my dash that I'm still trying to figure out.  I was going to sit up on the hill with my .17 HMR and snipe them, but they only come out when no one is watching I guess... 

Anyone have any ideas to keep the Pack Rats from infiltrating my perimeter? :behindwall:
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: The Pack Rats must die!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »
I like the way you think.  I didn't know they made traps that big.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
I saw 2 giant rats last night in my front yard.  I was making dinner and kept hearing something very quiet outside, hit the light and saw 2 possums.  Went outside and one jetted over the side of the hill, other just kept slowly walking toward me. 

Several years ago I kept hearing one under the sink at another place I used to live.  I noticed it had chewed out the bottom corner of my garbage bag and eaten some chocolate muffin, so I went to ace and got a rat trap and bated it with chocolate muffin.  At 3 am I get woke up by a loud SNAP! and went to find a 14" rat in my trap!  Just to be sure I took it outside, shot it with my .22 and threw it over the side of the hill.  That was the first rat I'd ever seen in person.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:45:34 PM »
we have some nasty wierd animals @ work... all stray and live at the airport.... airports are crazy, because there is all of that haz mat stuff that is around... i have seen little mice, big huge cat things but they have really short legs, seen really fast rabbits, and possums
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »
how about some DCon in the truck?

Of course, you could string up some claymores if you are resourceful. :idea:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2008, 07:53:35 AM »
possums aren't rodents, they're marsupials (like kangaroos, they carry their babies in a pouch) and they actually eat things like baby rats and mice, thingyroaches, and other pests. They are actually beneficial to have around.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2008, 07:55:20 AM »
you say that till you gots one pissed at you MWM lol

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2008, 08:08:56 AM »
you say that till you gots one pissed at you MWM lol

You can say the same about any wild animal, Trunkz.
Possums aren't confrontational, they are actually quite docile (like the one that wandered in the bedroom the other weekend and fell asleep under the bureau next to Mark's desk! Yes, Mark was at his desk :rofl: ) but you don't want to corner them for sure. (again, same for any wild animal) They do have some serious teeth!

http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/frequently_asked_questions.htm

It is more likely that a dog will injure or kill an opossum. A cat may attack and kill young rat-sized opossums. Adult opossums and cats seem to have a mutual respect and leave each other alone. In general, opossums are docile, non-aggressive animals and will not attack your pets. They prefer to escape and avoid confrontations, if possible. If not, the threatened opossum may “play ‘possum”, show its teeth, or bite in self-defense, as any animal would.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2008, 09:29:27 AM »
Don't bother talking crap about possums to MrsW, she loves'm, even raised one for what, a few days? 

You'll never convince her that possums are da debil!!  :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
Don't bother talking crap about possums to MrsW, she loves'm, even raised one for what, a few days? 

You'll never convince her that possums are da debil!!  :gap:

:greengrin:  yeah, we had the one in the front closet that lived there for a few days. The one that was under the bureau wandered out that night.
We put food out for them outside but I don't think they've been around for a while.

Where is the Mammoth?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
Diane,

Just where in the hell do you live? I only have one possum story, but, you've got 'em sleepin under desks and cleanin your toilets...I didn't know you lived in http://updateanytime.com/u12094/default.aspx?id=pk&aid=&opn=&tid=&uid=&rid=&guid=&
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »
Diane,

Just where in the hell do you live? I only have one possum story, but, you've got 'em sleepin under desks and cleanin your toilets...I didn't know you lived in http://updateanytime.com/u12094/default.aspx?id=pk&aid=&opn=&tid=&uid=&rid=&guid=&

cleanin the toilets :rofl: I wish!

Well we have an overgrown swamp/lake behind the houses next to us, and both the houses behind us and next to us (we're on a corner lot) yards are completely over grown with kudzu and weeds. There are critters galore living there, I'm sure.

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »
The Pack Rats must die!!!   :tantrum:  First they packed in a bunch of leaves and crap and pooped in the floor and peed all over!  Then to make matters worse they chewed up some wires in my dash that I'm still trying to figure out.  I was going to sit up on the hill with my .17 HMR and snipe them, but they only come out when no one is watching I guess... 

Anyone have any ideas to keep the Pack Rats from infiltrating my perimeter? :behindwall:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »
 Go collect up a few of these...

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:34:07 PM »
When I go to camp every fall, I take a live trap with me!  Bait them with peanut butter cups!  I've seen them up to 14" just the body alone. (timber rats)  The best way to get them out of the trap is to tie a rope to the cage and toss it in water for at least 5 minutes!  And shake them out! 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2008, 11:04:26 PM »
These did the trick!  Got two big ones the first night.  baited them with peanut butter.   :biggthumpup:

Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:10:04 PM »
Though, for long term results, a cat is best.  They are rightfully scared witless by a cat and won't come near the place.  The cat hardly has to even work - just be there and look menacing.

btw, Glen, you beat me to a photo like that...   :yesnod:

P.S. Technially, a terrier will also work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Terrier

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »
Though, for long term results, a cat is best.  They are rightfully scared witless by a cat and won't come near the place.  The cat hardly has to even work - just be there and look menacing.

P.S. Technically, a terrier will also work.

Technically! The right Terrier and no critter in their right mind will venture within striking distance, it's in their blood to seek and distroy them. In some ways they are better than cats since they will dig out the burrows.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DeMented Toys [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »
Technically! The right Terrier and no critter in their right mind will venture within striking distance, it's in their blood to seek and distroy them. In some ways they are better than cats since they will dig out the burrows.
And the best part is they are NOT cats!!
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2008, 11:21:31 AM »

P.S. Technially, a terrier will also work.

A cat will work for Mice, but not for a rat.. Rats have been known to kill and eat the cat.  A 3 pound cat is out classed by a 10 pound+ rat on the rats worst day. Snakes love rats...the bigger the rats get the bigger the snake grows to eat them. I have though "shot" 15 to 20 pound rats on Docks and wharfs in the pacific.  :twocents:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »
Dang.  Ratzilla?

For something that big, yeah, get a 15-20lb cat(Siberian Forest or Norwegian Forest cat or similar) or a Terrier.  No 3-4 lb toy cats need apply.(though most any cat will still scare things like pack rats away because they don't want a fight)

I mentioned the Rat Tarrier because they aren't cats - lol - and some people don't like cats(dunno why, but there are non cat options as well if you want a dog).

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
   A cat will work for Mice, but not for a rat.. Rats have been known to kill and eat the cat.  A 3 pound cat is out classed by a 10 pound+ rat on the rats worst day. Snakes love rats...the bigger the rats get the bigger the snake grows to eat them. I have though "shot" 15 to 20 pound rats on Docks and wharfs in the pacific.  :twocents:
the cat  in the pic above  is at least 15 pounds,  and  ive seen him  kill grown possums,  he's a true hunter

unfortunately  i haven't  seen the old boy  in 3 days :down:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way