Author Topic: To rear disc or not rear disc, that is the question....  (Read 6687 times)

Krylon

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 179
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Yota'n
    • View Profile
To rear disc or not rear disc, that is the question....
« on: Jun 10, 2004, 07:02:20 AM »
I know this is probably an age old question, but figured I'd ask it again.  Did a search but didn't come up with much.  I am at a point where I am goign to replace the drums, brake cyl's, shoes, springs, etc on my 91 pickup...   Figured I am going to have about $130 in those parts, should I shell out the extra cash for rear discs?
This truck is mostly stock with 32's, no lift and is used as a DD... 

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Mike

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Why not?  The way I look at stuff like that is if you are thinking about it you might as well do it.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Krylon [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Yota'n
    • View Profile
Why not?  The way I look at stuff like that is if you are thinking about it you might as well do it.

Originally I was all for it.  Then I see some people on POR saying how they have too much rear brakes or their pedal never felt right afterwords.  I just dont want to get into something I have to always mess with to get right.  I dont mind doing the work of swapping everything including the MC and such, but dont want to run into problems after its all done.  :) 

You run rear discs?  What set-up are you running?  I am looking at Sky brackets and Monte calipers, then run the t-case e-brake and either an FJ80 MC or possibly the GM one from Rockstomper.
Mike

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Im not running discs yet.  But I have the option of going either with caddy calipers or using an old set or yota rotors and calipers.  I think one of the major problems people are having is that they are mismatching all the parts.  When you start playing with different flow rates and flow needs on each component you are bound to run into issues with parts not working in chorus.  But if you stay with one manufacturer most of the time youll end up with a decently matched system that performs well.  Like when I go discs Ill probobly use all yota parts just because they have the correct bore m/c and calipers.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Last year I too was thinking about what to do. After alot to looking around I whent with 90 drum brakes. (mine is a 83, small drums!) so far I am happy with how it works as my DD. did not do the rear disc. thing becouse of miss match problems and the e-brake problem. have not been sorry yeat!  :beerchug:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Krylon [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Yota'n
    • View Profile
Im not running discs yet.  But I have the option of going either with caddy calipers or using an old set or yota rotors and calipers.  I think one of the major problems people are having is that they are mismatching all the parts.  When you start playing with different flow rates and flow needs on each component you are bound to run into issues with parts not working in chorus.  But if you stay with one manufacturer most of the time youll end up with a decently matched system that performs well.  Like when I go discs Ill probobly use all yota parts just because they have the correct bore m/c and calipers.

10-4...  I will probably go with Sky's stuff.  I have an e-mail into them about the M/C situation and what their experiences are.  Although All-Pro is always an option, but more expensive.
Mike

Aaronn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • CHECK MY EBAY AUCTION
I run Skys stuff with a 1" bore master and wilwood proportioning valve and residual valve ...works great...but why go through the trouble and expense on a daily driver?

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I agree with AAron, if its your DD, I don't think its worth the $ and hassle. for a DD just remember: K. I. S. S.

:beerchug:

rockhound

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 169
  • Male Posts: 817
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
I used TSM disc brake conversion. Came with all the parts, brackets, lines, etc.they use GM parts.
Bolt on. they have e-brake versions. I used All Pro's flange mounted.
Only thing I still need to do is 1 inch bore Master. Braking bias is controlled by stock 'yota brake thing on the frame. what's it called? Just played with it till I was happy. I forget but I think it's, arm up more rear, down is less.
How you 'sposed to know what your limitations are, till you exceed them.

www.RunandPlayMotorsports.com

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
It's a proportioning valve. So far my 4-Runner brakes have been sufficient with a full load, so I will keep what I have for now.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Krylon [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Yota'n
    • View Profile
I run Skys stuff with a 1" bore master and wilwood proportioning valve and residual valve ...works great...but why go through the trouble and expense on a daily driver?

Well for now it's a DD..   But down the road it will be a wheeler once I get the cabbage for a nicer DD.   :driving: :teeth:
Mike

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
I hate my caddy set up. The Ebrake is hard, and barely works. If i was to do it again I would go with Full Floater setup withToyota parts.

I am going to just keep the stock setup on the next truck I build
Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

Krylon [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Yota'n
    • View Profile
For now I have decided to stick witht he stock set-up....  $130 for parts is alot nicer than $330+...   :)  But thanks all!
Mike

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
I did it with isuzu rodeo caliper and rotor, the cylinder of the caliper seem's to be just the right size.
the 2 calipers and rotors was 250$ canadian.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
I have had probelms with caddy callipers too.

I personlly woudl rather spendmy money on some other part of the truck, than the brakes, expecally when drums are so cheap. Your still gonna be a few hundred into disks, and then you have to get all the quwirks out. I say forget it, and spend the extra money on a lockright.
Its not like the brakes are that bad. I can still lock up my 35" on dry pavement with my stock 85 brakes.

Krylon [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Yota'n
    • View Profile
Ya, I'll just redo the stockers and save up the extra cabbage for an SAS swap!  :) :teeth:
Mike

Jimmyg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Coast Mountain Crawlers 4x4 Association
I saw a feature on Trucks on big rig brake systems. They maintain drums can and do provide more friction area thus better braking. So  as in the traction questions of wide verses narrow tires which is true :dunno:
Haven't learned to Crawl Yet but I'm gettin ready to!

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
are you asking about tires or brakes?
 if tires the answer is BOTH  :laugh: realy. if your on deep sand wide is the way to go. if your on rocks wide with low tire peresser is the way to go. if your driving on assfalt and its raining cats and dogs then skinny is the way to go. skinny has other uses too where its better than wide. not a hole lot butt a few, :beerchug:

spaceman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Jun '04
    • View Profile
It's completely unnecessary to do discs in your situation.  The only reasons would be "Cool Guy" points or if you need to spend money on vehicle maintenance for tax purposes.