Author Topic: is a 1'' bore mc not big enough to push 4 wheel discs chev rear calipers  (Read 2905 times)

NaturalDisaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
i just installed the sky man rear disc brake set up using 85 monte carlo front calipers and a 1'' bore mc and my brakes are no good now they go almost clear to the floor before it trys to stop. bleeder valves are on top i have ran a whole bottle of fluid threw just bleeding them. do i need to get an adjustable proportioning valve? or is their maybe some other problem? the stock lspv is gone and the brake line is ran right into the t on the axle and then out to the wheels. let me know what ya think cause im stumped. Thanks all

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Read this it may help you out. Did you put a residual valve on the rear brakes, you may need one you may also need an adjustable prop. valve.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/4runner/brakes/
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
you should have a valve..
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
OOPS has the right idea and a proportioning valve is necessary
DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
i had good luck with a twin turbo supra MC, it was 1 1/4 if i remember right-i was pushing 3/4 ton chevy discs

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
i had good luck with a twin turbo supra MC, it was 1 1/4 if i remember right-i was pushing 3/4 ton chevy discs

What year Supra
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007, 06:20:24 PM by toyguy86 »

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
mk4 twin turbo, such as 95, around there

the last bady style they produced

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
mk4 twin turbo, such as 95, around there

the last bady style they produced

the orange one in fast and the furious
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
sorry im tarded but whats a residual valve? what does it do and how does it work

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
sorry im tarded but whats a residual valve? what does it do and how does it work
it is a spring loaded valve that keeps a slight amount of pressure in the line (like 2lbs) to keep the pistons from retracting too far.

edit:

ToyotaTom

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Locked and Loaded
    • View Profile
    • Toms Toyota
Hey Natural,
I did the same setup with the sky rear brakes and the MC 1", with no problems as far as braking goes.  I wonder if you have air somewhere in the line.  I didn't add any thing else to my system.  Good luck in you findings.  One note, the only thing that squeaks or makes noises is those Chevy parts on my truck! :tantrum:
1985 Toyota 4X4, SR5
Detroit Locker Rear
Electric Locker Front
Disc Brakes on all 4
8000xi Warn Winch

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
ya i know isnt that terrible having to put chevy junk on a yota.

My truck has the weirdest brakes i have ever seen in a toyota before. Back when the brakes were totally stock absolutly nothing modified at all a 13/16's bore mc was just not big enough to push my brakes no matter what i had changed mc's about 5 different times all differnt mc's and no matter what a 13/16's bore mc would just not do it. So i put on a 1'' bore mc and fixed the brakes no problem at all worked great and once again like i say the rest of the brake system was totally stock weird huh.So after all of this i then did the rear disc and then again the 1'' bore mc was just not big enough to push the the brakes again so i have went ahead and put more chevy junk on my truck in the form of a 1.1/8'' bore chevy mc and the brakes pedal is nice and firm again. But my probem now is the rear brakes are locking up bad. So do i need a prop valve to fix this problem or a prop and residual both? is the residual valve ment to hold a little bit of pressure to the rear calipers so that a smaller bore mc can push the brakes Thanks for all your help Ryan