Author Topic: Vendor Alert: Beadlock Specialties in Fresno, CA  (Read 1717 times)

Fjamming

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Vendor Alert: Beadlock Specialties in Fresno, CA
« on: Nov 27, 2007, 11:42:53 PM »
Warning:  Do Not Buy From Beadlock Specialties in Fresno!

I’m writing this because I want everyone to know what crooks they are and want you to steer away from them.  Let me preface by saying that I’ve exhausted all available venues to resolve this issue privately and peacefully.  I’d done my job trying to make it work, but it just wasn’t going to happen.  I’ve phoned and emailed the vendor repeatedly and offered ways where we can both be happy, but in the end they showed their true colors.  I’ve wasted money and almost 2 months in delays.  Everything was in private until now

Short Version:
9/10/07 I called and Tammy from Beadlock Specialties answered.  I asked a few questions and got a quote of $338 for a set of 5/8th inch thick rings on 16x8 AR Chamber Teflons.  There was a series of “plays” on their part which resulted in a negotiation where I will have Eagle Alloy 185s instead, but they will tap the Monster Valves for me for free.  I was promised a delivery date of 2 days before the Meet and Greet III in City of Industry-in time for me to install them.  Wheels showed up days late and the valves were not tapped.  The rings were also not what I’ve ordered.  They are 3/8th inch instead of 5/8th inch thick.  Clint told me afterwards he doesn’t know how to tap them.  Ok… I’ll let that go.  They agreed that the rings are wrong and would make another set for me when I return them (on their UPS account).  Fair enough.  Clint told me it would take a week to get them back to me.  I called after a week and left a message.  No one called me back.  Repeated a few more times and finally was told he was missing materials.

Finally after 2 weeks (10/16/07), I got the rings, but these rings are ½ inch thick instead of 5/8th as I’ve initially ordered.  They are also stained.  I called back the next day and told them they are wrong again and was by Tammy that CNC machine have a tolerance and that 1/4th of an inch is perfectly acceptable.  I asked whey they didn’t put that disclaimer on the website, she said nothing.  She encouraged me to return the wheels, but she would deduct 25% for restocking fee.  That’s $360!  I asked if they would make another set at the correct thickness, they said no.  I asked if they would give me a discount, they said no.  I took it to dispute with Discover Card.  Not much help there.  I wasted almost a month with Discover Card.

So what’s the big deal about 1/4th of an inch?  It’s the principle.  You see, I’m stubborn like that.  If I feel I’m right, I’ll fight for it.  I believe if you continue to acquiesce and tolerate, you’re an accomplice to the crooks.  They’ve tasted softness and are encouraged to continue their ways. 

So the issue I have with this vendor is as followed.

1.   Vendor did not honor agreed upon price.
2.   Vendor did not deliver the proper rings.
3.   Vendor did not drill and tap Monster Valves as promised.
4.   Vendor did not deliver on time.
5.   Vendor failed to communicate.
6.   Second set of rings did not arrive in a timely fashion.
7.   Rings were not as promised.  Wrong thickness.
8.   Rings were again stained (see picture below).
9.   Vendor refuse to admit fault
10.   Vendor wants to charge me a restocking fee for sending me product that was out of specifications. 
11.   If product does indeed have a variance as giant as 1/8th of an inch that should be posted on their website (Beadlock Specialties - Home).  CNC machines typically have at least a tolerance level of at least 0.005 inch, not 0.125 inch.

So let my mishap serve as a guide.  STEER AWAY FROM BEADLOCK SPECIALTIES. 

Thanks for reading all this.  If you are a glutton for punishment, I got the Long Version below.

Sandoo Blue FJ
AllPro adjustable front and rear reservoir shocks.  Pro Links LCA.  AllPro winch bumper with small hoop.  AllPro rear bumper.  Demello skids.  Mile Marker SE9500C.  Viking Trail Line with winch safety thimble (5/16"X125ft), Trail Gear Sliders, Hi-Lift, Jack Mate, Pull-Pal.

Fjamming [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile

Long Version

I needed a second set of wheels. I chose beadlocks and aggressive Super Swamper LTBs.  The plan is to have it setup so when I’m on the trail I won’t be wondering “what if” or “what might”.  I want overkill in another word.  So the search for a good set of beadlocks begins.  Walker Evens makes some killer beadlocks, but they don’t have it in 16inch size so they are out.  Stazworks came highly recommended by Mir207, but they also don’t have 16 inch size.  Champion Beadlock, OMF, Allied, and MRT are all respected names and I almost settled on OMF until I came across Beadlock Specialties.  They advertised a heavy duty ring of 5/8th inch thickness and flush mounted bolts.  The price was right so I thought I’d give it a go and chance it on a small company.  That was back on September 10th 2007…

The goal was to have the wheels back in time for our local meet and greet.  What followed as just a bunch of lies.  Here a chronology of events.
  • 9/10/07 (Monday):   Called and talked to Tammy:
  •    Tammy said Chamber Teflon with rock locks (heavy duty 0.625 inch rings: 16X8RL02) for $338 per wheel plus the 10% Pirate forum board member discount.  It sounded like a good deal and I said ok.
  • 9/11/07 (Tuesday):     Clint Curry called me and told me he can’t sell me the American Racing Chamber Teflons at that price even though that someone in his office took my order and credit card.  He offered to get me the regular 3/8th inch rings (16X8BS02) plus $60 more per wheel, which brings the price to $299+60=$349.  He’ll honor the Pirate discount.  I asked that if he can install the Powertank Monster Valves (that I’ll have Powertank ship to them) for me then I’ll take it.  He said ok and we went ahead with the order. 
  • 9/14/07 (Friday):     Tammy emailed me and said the Chambers are backordered until November.  I can’t wait till November so I said I’ll call back with another style.
  • 9/14/07 (Friday):     I called and Tammy Barrett answered.  I asked about Eagle Alloy Series 185 wheels with 4 inch backspace and -11mm offset and whether they will fit.  She said that they should (Not true, but I'll let that go since I should have done the homework on my own.).  I went ahead and place an order for Eagle Alloy Series 185 wheels with rock lock (16X8RL02) and Monster Valve installation. $338/wheel plus Pirate discount.  Since I have a meet that I’ll be at on Saturday I asked that if they could make it happen and was told that they should be able to.  They can be done by Wednesday and have it shipped on Thursday and I should have it on Friday.  I provided installation of Powertank Monster Valves. 
  • 9/17/07 (Monday):     Called around noon and spoke to Tammy.  She said the wheels are in and they’ll get started on it.
  • 9/18/07 (Tuesday):     UPS tracking shows that Powertank Monster Valves have arrived at the shop.  Powertank has provided installation instruction with their kit.
  • 9/19/07 (Wednesday):     Called the shop and was told that they are working on it.
  • 9/20/07 (Thursday):     Called, hoping to get a tracking number.  I left a message.  I got a call from Clint Curry at around 5:30pm.  Clint Curry wants to know where to install the Powertank Monster Valves.  I said opposite the stock stem.  He said he hopes he can finish the wheels before UPS comes. 
  • 9/21/07 (Friday):     Wheels didn’t come.
  • 9/22/07 (Saturday):   No wheels and I got into a serious accident (police report and hospital reports).  Broken multiple facial bones and was under heavy medication.
  • 9/24/07 (Monday):     UPS came, but I was in hospital.  I missed the delivery.
  • 9/25/07 (Tuesday):     UPS came, but I was unable to leave the bed to inspect the shipment.
  • 9/27/07 (Thursday):     Inspected the shipment and found that Powertank Monster Valves were not installed.  Rings were the regular rings (16X8BS02) and not the heavy duty Rock Lock rings (16X8RL02) that I ordered.  Receipts/invoice was not sent with the wheels.  Some items from my Powertank Monster Valves were also not sent; items like invoice, instruction, and some stickers.  Powertank Monster Valve kit’s case was broken but wrapped in clear tape to keep it together.  Rings have ink stains.  I called and Clint Curry answered the phone.  Clint Curry said he didn’t know how to install the Powertank Monster Valves.  He apologized for the mistake in the rings and if I pay the difference for the heavier rings, he’ll make the heavier rings for me.  He gave me the UPS account number in which I can then ship back the wrong rings that were sent.  He would honor a 10% Pirate forum board discount for the Rock Lock rings.  He said he’s pretty busy now and it might take a while.  I said fine and asked when he expects to have them.  He said end of next week, which puts the expected date at 10/5/07.  I said ok.
  • 10/11/07 (Thursday):     I called about the rings since it’s been almost 2 weeks.  I had to leave a message.  I did not get a call back.
  • 10/12/07 (Friday):     I called and spoke to Clint Curry.  Clint Curry said he’s waiting on materials.  I asked for a firm date.  He said he has to contact his aluminum supplier and call me back.  I asked that he give me an answer today.  He called at 4:45pm and told me that he’ll get the materials Monday and he’ll get right on it. 
  • 10/15/07 (Monday):     I received an email from Tammy with the invoice and asked that I ship back the wrong rings and give her the tracking number.  Beadlock Specialties sent me UPS tracking info for the rings.  I shipped out and gave Tammy the tracking number via email at 5:08pm.
  • 10/16/07 (Tuesday):     Rings arrived.  The rings measured ½ inch wide, not the 5/8th inch as promised.  Rings were again ink stained.  I emailed Beadlock Specialties about the difference at 6:19pm.  Tammy emailed me back at 9:26pm and stated that if I’m not happy with the product to ship them back and they will give me a full refund but will charge a 25% restocking fee.  I emailed back to her at 11:53pm and stated that I never got the product that I ordered in the first place and do not think I should be penalized with a restocking fee.  I asked that they call me back.
  • 10/17/07 (Wednesday):  No one called from Beadlock Specialties.  I called at 11:52am and Tammy answered.  I told her that I feel that since I didn’t get the product I ordered (5/8th inch and got ½ inch), I shouldn’t be penalized with a restocking fee.  She said with CNC aluminum, 1/8th of an inch is an acceptable variance.  She lost her temper and didn’t want to communicate any more and told me to do what I have to do.  She encouraged me to return the items and pay the restocking fee.  The restocking fee would be close to $360.

Tammy emailed me at 2:03pm and listed a summary of events that was clearly not true.  She stated that I negotiated a substantial discount for the wheels.  It was a wheel (Eagle Alloy series 185) with no special discount; at least they didn’t make me aware of a discount.  She stated that I didn’t communicate with them for 3 weeks.  I was either emailing or calling.  I have records of emails and cell phone logs.

Stay away guys.  I'm just a small fish in a big pond, but I'll make my own ripples.

Sandoo Blue FJ
AllPro adjustable front and rear reservoir shocks.  Pro Links LCA.  AllPro winch bumper with small hoop.  AllPro rear bumper.  Demello skids.  Mile Marker SE9500C.  Viking Trail Line with winch safety thimble (5/16"X125ft), Trail Gear Sliders, Hi-Lift, Jack Mate, Pull-Pal.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Sux to hear this. I've heard good things about them.

What do the bottom sides of the rings look like? Is there a lip that might make up the other .125" ? If not, are there any swirl marks where it might have been fly cut from .625 down to .500? I ask because the marks shown on the ring are stamped on @ the mill to show the make-up of the material. If they started with a piece of .625 and cut the top down, that would obviously not be there.

I'd be doing everything I could to talk to the owner of the company. If the lady answerig the phone was so willing to take back the messed up parts for a loss to you, I'd think he might like to know about it.
"between projects"

Fjamming [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
The back of the ring looks unfinished.  It's not polished or anything like that.  It looks like the front, but with no markings.  It seems like the company only has 2 people-Tammy and Clint.  I've talked to both.  The last person I talked to was Tammy and she wouldn't let me "bother" Clint.  I think Clint owns the place and also does the work.  I don't know the relationship between Tammy and Clint.  When they failed for the 2nd time to produce the right rings, I gave them 3 options.

1.  Full refund.
2.  3rd attempt at getting the rings right.
3.  Give me a discount.

Tammy told me to return it, but they won't budge on restocking fee.  Restocking fee is ridiculous because I never received what I ordered! 

I think they just use 1/2in plates and try to pass that off as 5/8th.  Can you believe it?  1/4 inch tolerance on CNC?!!!
Sandoo Blue FJ

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
I think they just use 1/2in plates and try to pass that off as 5/8th.  Can you believe it?  1/4 inch tolerance on CNC?!!!

excuse me but  you asked for 5/8ths   and got 1/2   where did you figure thats 1/4 difference ??   

1/2  is the same as 4/8ths,  which  if  you passed second grade  that would make 1/8th  difference  in  thickness

:eek:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
excuse me but  you asked for 5/8ths   and got 1/2   where did you figure thats 1/4 difference ??   

1/2  is the same as 4/8ths,  which  if  you passed second grade  that would make 1/8th  difference  in  thickness

:dunno:  Who really cares?  Bottom line is the company screwed up (or appears to have screwed up) and he is left to deal with it.  If I asked someone for 5/8" thick rings, I would expect 5/8" rings.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Fjamming [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile

Sorry, I typed too quickly.  I mean to say 1/8th difference.
Sandoo Blue FJ

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
Those are not stained. That is marking from the factory where the material is made. No fault there.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Those are not stained. That is marking from the factory where the material is made. No fault there.

Just use some rubbing alcohol, that should take the markings off.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Just use some rubbing alcohol, that should take the markings off.

True this, but if I were making these for a customer it would have been cleaned off before they were even cut. Don't know how much the size really matters though?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i dont think it is the size that matters it is the fact that he ordered something from a COMPANY and recieved something different than what he ordered and then when he told them they were not willing to work with him and instead gave him a line of :pokinit: to hang his hat on. that is BS. did you contact the bbb to see if they were members and to file an official complaint?
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60