Author Topic: 99 4runner post 5spd swap gas fume smell  (Read 2118 times)

easttntoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
99 4runner post 5spd swap gas fume smell
« on: Nov 17, 2007, 12:39:52 PM »
I recently put a 5spd in my 99 4runner.  I had to disconnect the thing on the drivers wheel well with all the hoses on it to put the clutch mc in.  Since I hooked everything back up I get a strong gas smell coming from under the hood.   

When I was removing the auto tranny there was a cable coming from the tranny and going to the throttle body.  What does that cable do?  I'm wondering if that may have something to do with the smell.

Also, does anybody know how to get the reverse lights wired up?

easttntoy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Re: 99 4runner post 5spd swap gas fume smell
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »
No responses eh?  :pokinit:, could somebody shed some light on wiring the reverse lights up.  I backed into a civic last night.  Damn thing was parked in my way.

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:55:18 AM »
I recently put a 5spd in my 99 4runner.  I had to disconnect the thing on the drivers wheel well with all the hoses on it to put the clutch mc in.  Since I hooked everything back up I get a strong gas smell coming from under the hood.  

When I was removing the auto tranny there was a cable coming from the tranny and going to the throttle body.  What does that cable do?  I'm wondering if that may have something to do with the smell.

Also, does anybody know how to get the reverse lights wired up?

That cable that connects from the TB to the transmission is the kickdown cable. Are you sure you've got all of your vacuum hoses hooked up properly? If you don't, like say to your charcoal canister, you'll get a gas vapor smell.

easttntoy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2007, 04:46:17 PM »
I'm positive i've got all the vaccum hoses hooked up.  I'm going to run through everything once more to triple check but i'm pretty sure.  What's the kickdown cable do?  I've got another throttle body that doesn't have a place for the kickdown cable if needed but I don't see why it would make a difference. 

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:33:19 PM »
I'm positive i've got all the vaccum hoses hooked up.  I'm going to run through everything once more to triple check but i'm pretty sure.  What's the kickdown cable do?  I've got another throttle body that doesn't have a place for the kickdown cable if needed but I don't see why it would make a difference. 

The kick down cable downshifts the transmission based on throttle position. If that's not a kick down cable, I don't know what it could be. You need to leave that TB on there. I'd check my fuel lines next.

bajabooster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
hay man im doing a 5 speed swap in my tundra too....did you have to do alot of wireng with ecu....is it a major job??