Author Topic: i need to move my steering box only about 5 inches forward  (Read 3463 times)

NaturalDisaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
ok we all know it has to be done once you run high steer and i have moved my front axle about 2.1/2 to 3 inches forward so i can clearly tell that my box is going to need to be moved clear through the radiator support and front body mount right to the end of the frame. so my question is does anybody have some good ideas on how to reconstruct an restenghten the body mount area once it has been all cut away and the box is sticking through the radiator support. Any help and maybe some pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all Ryan

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Wow, that's movin stuff pretty far forward. I had my axle moved forward too, probably not as far as you though. I took the tilt out of the box, so the shaft was straight up and down. That moved the pitman arm forward somemore, but I don't think that's going to be far enough for you.
Sorry I don't have any other great miracles for you.

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
so when you rotate the box does it rotate clockwise or counterclockwise. move the pitman arm towards the frame or away from the frame. Or whichever way works better for the situation?

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
so when you rotate the box does it rotate clockwise or counterclockwise. move the pitman arm towards the frame or away from the frame. Or whichever way works better for the situation?
Clockwise to get the sector shaft straight up and down. That way you do not have to cut as much out of the body mount. You may have to get a flat or flater pitman arm though. I think Sky sell them.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

snowrun

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 143
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
5 inches might be pretty tough. Another option would be to run the arms from 4x4labs, they run the tie rod behind the axle but you would need to get their tie rod/drag link since they are longer than Marlin's setup. pretty spendy though, $550 for the kit

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
That would probably be the best setup. Expensive, but getting the tie rod completely away from the drag link with the axle that far forward would be the way to go.

_HOIST_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 300
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
    • View Profile
Yeah, I just looked at those 4x4Labs steering arms and that would probably be the way to go. I need tgo move mine forward another few inches, but I don't think I will have to cut out too much of the body mount. If my steering arms weren't warranteed I'd probably buy that set that puts the tie rod behind the axle!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Here's mine...steering box moved forward about 2 ½ inches....5 inches seems excessive..what is your suspension set up?

I cut some of the rad support/body mount out and I havent worried about it yet..

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
i just have a marlin lift which i believe moves the axle 1.1/2 inch forward right plus i have the axle moved forward another 1'' or 1.1/2 i cant remember exactly. I looked at the setup from 4x4 labs and it looked a little cheap to me on the steering arms. But does anybody know if that kit will work with a high pinion and an electric locker?

7Jake

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
    • Norcal Crawlers 4WD Club
It may not apply to yours exactly because I did a complete custom front hanger/engine swap thing and had a 3 inch body lift, but here's mine.  I moved the box forward about 4 inches also.  Enough so that at full turn, both ways, the drag link and tie rod are nearly parallel.  I was building the entire front end at the time so I plated the frame on both sides of the box mount with 3/8 plate and then made extentions to my front body mounts that allowed me to reistall a part of the original rubber insulator using some tubing.  Being that my front bumper was going to be all tube, it would blend in well enough.
It worked out well enough that we just did the same thing to my brother in laws rig that we're building but he has a 2" body lift and it appears to be working fine.  The only issue we had with both setups is that we had to order longer drag links from marlin either due to the box location or the fact that the 3/8 plate shifted the box over slightly. Running Hydro assist and 40's without firewall clearance issues.  the body mount is kind of hard to see in the picture, but you probably get the point. I did it to both sides to be uniform.  good luck

chuckh

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
I just want to move the stearing box forward enough to clear the tierods pictures