Author Topic: 03 NOV- Utah- 5MP.  (Read 9961 times)

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
03 NOV- Utah- 5MP.
« on: Oct 29, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »
A whole herd of people and myself are going to 5MP this coming Saturday. We'll be getting to the trailhead at around 9:30 - 10 or so, and will be stopping at the Chevron on the right heading out of Lehi on our way there if you'd like to meet us there or at the trailhead. Give me a PM if you're going to go so I can give you my cell # so we can coordinate that morning. We'll also be on channel 40. Hope to see some of you there. :spin:

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
Re: 03 NOV- Utah- 5MP.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »
Where is this 5MP trail located, me and some buddies are planning on going this weekend and might join up with you.  Also what's the difficulty of this trail?

Thanks
Fear

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2007, 06:03:37 AM »
It's on the road that goes from Lehi over towards Tooele.  I forget the name/ number of the road, though.  Basically, go down 15, take the main Lehi exit, go west through Lehi, and about 20 miles or so later, once the road starts heading back towards the north, you'll see a pull off to the right with a big dirt parking lot.  That's the trailhead.  I've PM'd you my # if you guys want to meet up at the gas station in Lehi I mentioned in the first post.  As far as difficulty, there's everything there... dirt track to class five :pokinit: that you'll need a winch to get up. 

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:14:21 AM »
OK I talked to my buddie last night about it and he said it's 5 mile pass and that's where the constrictor trail is that we've watched on you-tube.  If we can get all of our group to come down were looking at about 5 or 6 first gen runners a 99 chevy and an 89 bronco.  I'm going to talk to them all today and will let you know. Thanks for the invite.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »
about how far is it from Tooele? i'm interested in headin out there.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »
It's about halfway between Tooele and Lehi.  Going down Rt. 73 towards Lehi, it'll be on the left.  It's just a dirt parking lot about two miles before the 90° turn in the road where it goes from heading south east to north east.  I've PM'd you my #.  Give me a call that morning so we can wait for you, or that you know we're coming.

Fear- We'll be meeting up at the Walmart parking lot in Layton (bottom of Hill Field Rd) and heading out by 8:15.  You're welcome to caravan with us, but we're going to be limited by the slowest rig (me) to about 65 MPH, and we'd all appreciate it if you guys showed up with what you need for the day, ie- food, water, gas, guns.  I'm going to be stopping in Lehi to gas up because I get about 13 MPG on the highway and have a 10 gallon tank.  Give me a call that morning or the night before so I have a heads up that you guys are coming. 

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2007, 10:28:32 AM »
hey, that aint too far from my place, thats a nice change haha.

USAF EOD tech

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2007, 02:21:43 PM »
Your gonna go right d? I was goin to text you but this is just as easy.  Me and alan are forsure goin just gotta invite the other guys

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »
i should be down there. is it a day trip or spend the night out?

USAF EOD tech

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2007, 02:26:34 PM »
Were just goin for the day i'm thinkin

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2007, 06:51:06 PM »
Yeah, just a day trip.  Fear, are you going to meet up with us at Walmart?  If so, how many are coming?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:11:03 PM »
i'll probably meet yall at the trailhead, cant miss my 4runner hahahaha.

USAF EOD tech

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  :)

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2007, 12:51:59 PM »
Yeah, just a day trip.  Fear, are you going to meet up with us at Walmart?  If so, how many are coming?

As of right now one guy's for sure gonna follow me down.  The other guys will let me know towards the end of the week if they're goin or not.  Are you wanting to meet at the walmart now not the chevron? where's the walmart at? 

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2007, 03:23:30 PM »
my 4runner wont be as much of an eye sore by saturday, started prepping it for painting today. i'm guessin allen is a for certain?

USAF EOD tech

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2007, 07:33:15 PM »
Hey red, if you need some "army green" or black rattle cans, LMK... I have a ton left over from my paint job.  :)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2007, 08:06:54 PM »
haha thanks man. not sure what color i'm gonna go with, tryin to sell the rig so i can have some cash flow (i have a job interview tomorrow so hopefully that goes well), get a rig that can tow, and that i can find parts for that are dirt cheap.

USAF EOD tech

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2007, 07:57:30 AM »
my 4runner wont be as much of an eye sore by saturday, started prepping it for painting today. i'm guessin allen is a for certain?

Yeah allen is going, Dave in the bronco said he's gonna go, jeff said he'll go if he can get out of work, and jared is kinda iffy he says he'll go and then back out at the last second.  Either way man i'm excited to be able to wheel this weekend.  And what's this :pokinit: that your goin to sell ole reliable? Once your in the military your not goin to need to tow anything big and your gonna need the gas millage living on A1c and air man pay.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2007, 08:31:01 AM »
bwahahahaha old reliable thats good! starter pains, tranny bearings go bad, rear u joint is going bad, leaf spring pack bolts broke, exhaust disintegrated for an unknown reason, climate control temperature lever broke. it aint so bad though, these problems arent unexpected with the kinda miles it has though. now all that needs work is the rear u joint and the climate control lever, as well as rebuilding the starter. i can get a rebuild kit for about 35 bucks though so thats not bad. and the paint job which i began sanding and removing the pinstripeing yesturday.

for fuel economy while i'm with the military i've got my motorcycle so i'm not too worried there.

not gonna accomplish anything today and maybe tomorrow, seems like i got the stomach bug my mom and dad had. will be good by saturday though.

USAF EOD tech

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2007, 08:47:18 AM »
bwahahahaha old reliable thats good! starter pains, tranny bearings go bad, rear u joint is going bad, leaf spring pack bolts broke, exhaust disintegrated for an unknown reason, climate control temperature lever broke. it aint so bad though, these problems arent unexpected with the kinda miles it has though. now all that needs work is the rear u joint and the climate control lever, as well as rebuilding the starter. i can get a rebuild kit for about 35 bucks though so thats not bad. and the paint job which i began sanding and removing the pinstripeing yesturday.

for fuel economy while i'm with the military i've got my motorcycle so i'm not too worried there.

not gonna accomplish anything today and maybe tomorrow, seems like i got the stomach bug my mom and dad had. will be good by saturday though.

Yeah but has it ever quit on you? Never, and you said yourself that the starter wasn't the problem it was the clutch cancel switch.  And judging buy the condition it was in when you first got it it seems like the PO didn't really care too much about it.  So that might explain the bad tranny bearings the rust from bottom to top and u-joints go out on everything.  Hell dan you had more trouble with the chevy the first time you took it wheelin then you have had the numerous times wheelin with the runner.  I know i'm a die hard toyota fan but there is good reason for that, and i think you can see it too with me and alans runners and the very few problems we've had with them. But your a texan and texans drive big trucks so that i can understand.  :)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:34:27 AM »
haha yah i'm just listen every problem that its had hahahaha. nah its a really good little rig and like you mentioned it has never just given up and died on me. i view it as gm's little brother, just as solid, reliable, and capable. only lacking in power. as you know i havent exactly babied this rig either, and the only thing i've damaged is the rear bumper and bent the front bumper slightly when i hit that baby deer down in Texas. thought i broke a cv shaft at one point because i heard a loud pop, but nothing has broken.

hey my problem with the gmc was no ground clearance with a longer wheelbase, that and old worn out belts. which reminds me i need to change the other belts on the 4runner.

with Texan's driving big trucks it depends on where your at. most areas are like how utah is with what vehicle you drive, its your decision get what works for you. west texas though is the home of large trucks and big block engines. do i need a suburban? no, an old 2 door blazer would be perfect. do i need a big block? no, when i tow i tow up to 8500 pounds so a small cummins 4bt diesel would be perfect. the 4runner fits every need and goal that i have (or can be modified to meet them) with the exception of towing capability. i can make a soft top for it, i can lower the gear ratio so i can idle along when offroading, i can put a diesel in it so i can run biodiesel, seats 4 comfortably, can carry some cargo, can put a solid front axle under it. but i cant increase the tow capability that much. i can increase it up to maybe 5k pounds (stopping the trailer and handling it during emergency situations in the concern, i could care less about being able to maintain 70mph pulling a trailer uphill) but thats it. 4runner just doesnt have the weight to control a trailer over 5k pounds.

USAF EOD tech

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:39:31 AM »
Red- I've got a starter, tranny and HVAC control group from an '86 4Runner I sell you dirt cheap.  Fwee hundled dorra.  Wha?  You amewican miwitawy?  Ah, speshul bah-gan.  Fwee fity.  Yah, you look suplised.  I suplised I sell for such low plice.  Don't go tell your fliends, they come looking for same bah-gan, make me go bwoke.

:cheese:

In all seriousness... if you really need this stuff, think about it for a few days and throw me some numbers on Saturday.  Parts are located in SLC.  :)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
thanks man. tranny is taken care of already, starter is still acting up from time to time. i've gotten used to pulling the starter now, its so much easier to pull with the right front wheel removed haha.

USAF EOD tech

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2007, 03:08:34 PM »
This is true man, so when you become a a master chief in the airforce you can buy us both a brand new tundra with the diesel motor that IS GOING TO DOMINATE the competition. :-)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »
haha hopefully toyota can be competative, their prototype was far from. shoot buy a new truck? i dont wanna spend that kinda money on a rig. absolute max i will spend is 15k for my personal vehicle, no more.

USAF EOD tech

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »
Hey, if they don't make a good diesel... buy a Tundra and swap a Duramax/ Allison in it.  :)

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:34:13 PM »
hey lol, my buddie is worried that the trail were goin on is going to be the constrictor and i guess that trail is required that the vehicle has all F/R locked and a winch.  Is that the trail you guys are planning to go on?  If so most the guys that I'm bringing, including myself, are gonna hold you guys back.  From the you-tube video i can see where you'd need a winch when it comes to the water fall but not i'm not worried about the majority of it.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:38:03 PM »
if thats the trail there is no way i can do it. open diff front rear, IFS, no winch.

USAF EOD tech

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »
alright found out a little earlier that there are many trails in that area of differant difficulty so there shouldnt be any problems. i'll see yall there around 9:45-10

USAF EOD tech

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »
Just got off the phone with Fear...  To anyone that's doubting their rig, it's cool.  I'm open at both ends, and a friend who's done this has a bone stock '86 4Runner with 33's as his only mod, and he did fine.  95% of 5MP can be done with a bone stock rig; we even had a guy in a Discovery on bald ass passenger car tires keeping up with us on everything but the class 5 stuff.