Author Topic: Antifreeze engine block drain plug?  (Read 9323 times)

dothemonkey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -71
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Work in Progress
    • View Profile
Antifreeze engine block drain plug?
« on: Oct 27, 2007, 08:06:14 PM »
I was driving on the freeway today and when i pulled off, steam/smoke was pouring out of my engine.  Never a good sign and the second time in a month now.  When i popped the hood i could see the liquid was coming out of the rear of the engine, a 22re, and it seemed like it was about where the head attached to the block or maybe a bit lower than that.  Somewhat fortunately i was right by a Jiffy Lube so i was able to roll my truck in there.  The guy that took a look at it said that i was leaking coolant.  i still have the same amount of oil so it seems as though the head is fine.  One of the guys at Jiffy Lube mentioned a antifreeze plug and that it may have fallen off.  I personally have never heard of one and could not find any info while hunting around the net.  if anyone could confirm that this is a possible problem or offer any other suggestions i would appreciate it.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Re: Antifreeze engine block drain plug?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »
Freeze plugs have been known to fall out but not as commonly as them rusting out and leaking  :yesnod:.  They aren't expensive at all, merely pennies  :twocents:.

But replacing them can be a chore depending on it's location in the engine block.  I would recommend replacing as many as practical, since if one failed others may be soon to follow. Good luck with replacing those.  :crossed:

ROKNROLLR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2007, 08:59:28 PM »
I was driving on the freeway today and when i pulled off, steam/smoke was pouring out of my engine.  Never a good sign and the second time in a month now.  When i popped the hood i could see the liquid was coming out of the rear of the engine, a 22re, and it seemed like it was about where the head attached to the block or maybe a bit lower than that.  Somewhat fortunately i was right by a Jiffy Lube so i was able to roll my truck in there.  The guy that took a look at it said that i was leaking coolant.  i still have the same amount of oil so it seems as though the head is fine.  One of the guys at Jiffy Lube mentioned a antifreeze plug and that it may have fallen off.  I personally have never heard of one and could not find any info while hunting around the net.  if anyone could confirm that this is a possible problem or offer any other suggestions i would appreciate it.

On the 22re  the coolant drain plug for the block is located (driver side of engine block-top right). It's a little difficult to see but it's there.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2007, 09:26:03 PM »
Drain plug is below the exhaust toward the back of the block. There is also a plate on the back of the head that can leak. Hard to see, almost need a mirror to see it back there. Water bypass pipe also runs below the exhaust. Another possible source.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »
JUST FOR YOU...

be Careful there is also a frost plug on the back of the block :ack:

Drain plug is below the exhaust toward the back of the block. There is also a plate on the back of the head that can leak. Hard to see, almost need a mirror to see it back there. Water bypass pipe also runs below the exhaust. Another possible source.

The plate on the back of the head is actually an egr port. FSM calls it an egr cooler. The pipes i defiantly agree with one of the pipes going through the firewall split on my truck. It was certainly alot of fun to replace. :shake:

dothemonkey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Work in Progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2007, 10:51:37 AM »
Thanks a bunch, those pictures are exactly what i needed.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2007, 10:54:13 PM »
JUST FOR YOU...
The plate on the back of the head is actually an egr port. FSM calls it an egr cooler.

that's because there is coolant behind that plate, which cools the EGR gas flowing through the plate.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2007, 02:11:16 PM »
that's because there is coolant behind that plate, which cools the EGR gas flowing through the plate.

you may be right, but the passage way(the squggily ridge in the plate) has exaust gases flowing through it. i figured it was a cooler because it was out in the open on the back of the head, and thats what made it cool down.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2007, 02:17:04 PM »
i would think the rear coolent tube would take a poo befor the plug came out/rusty

also on the rear of the head theres a cap with gasket.   
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

dothemonkey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Work in Progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2007, 05:36:01 PM »
Well i got a chance to actually look at it in the daylight and i was happy to find one of my heater hoses had a huge split in it.   :hammerhead:  The one from the metal pipe that goes behind the block.  When i did look at where the freeze plug was on the back of my block i was really happy it did not happen there.  Thanks for the help to those who posted, it was good to know even if that isn't what happened.

ROKNROLLR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2007, 03:19:35 AM »
Well i got a chance to actually look at it in the daylight and i was happy to find one of my heater hoses had a huge split in it.   :hammerhead:  The one from the metal pipe that goes behind the block.  When i did look at where the freeze plug was on the back of my block i was really happy it did not happen there.  Thanks for the help to those who posted, it was good to know even if that isn't what happened.
I would highly suggest you pressure test your coolant system, since one hose fail you might as well check everything and see what leaks, split/cracked/worn hoses. Change at least all the hard to get to ones..bypass,heater,metal lines...etc, when you are done use good coolant like Toyota/DexCool. Make sure all your grounds are cleaned and connected so you won't get any electrolosis-very common on Toyotas

dothemonkey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Work in Progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »
I replaced most of my hoses when i put in a new head.  I just never got around to replacing that one and i knew it needed to be.