Author Topic: Location of Coolant Drain Plug on '91 2.4 Liter Engine (22-RE)  (Read 2038 times)

JD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Can anyone give me an idea where this plug is located? I saw a rusty 17mm bolt on the driver's side of the engine about halfway up and halfway forward, and fought with it to no avail. I would like to make sure this is actually the drain plug before I break anything.

My coolant has not been flushed for about 8 years and I just replaced the radiator, so I figure this is a good time.

i bought some of the red Toyota coolant. It was hellishly expensive. Do you guys just use regular Prestone? I heard the Toyota stuff was better. Am using distilled water since the tap water here is full of minerals. That much I do know, not to use tap water in the cooling system.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
the drain is on the drivers side of the block about half way of the block height  but is closer to the rear of the block,  it SHOULD have a 14mm plug inside 17mm outer drain thingy

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
prestone is fine

the toyota red is supposed to last longer though... and it is hellishly expensive $25 a gallon if i remember right.... for that, i can just change the prestone 3 times, lol
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

JD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Thanks!

So I use a 14mm socket to loosen the plug or a 17mm?

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Thanks!

So I use a 14mm socket to loosen the plug or a 17mm?

whichever fits, lol

if it isn't one, its the other
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Black Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 198
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
the drain is on the drivers side of the block about half way of the block height  but is closer to the rear of the block,  it SHOULD have a 14mm plug inside 17mm outer drain thingy

I had to remove the 17mm fitting cause it was plugged up. If you loosen the 14mm fitting and nothing comes out, then the larger one is probably plugged.

JD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
All I found was a rusty 17mm bolt with no inner or outer part, just a 17mm bolt. I fought with it with the longest socket wrench I could find, but it rounded off without loosening. So I wound up just filling up and draining the radiator repeatedly with distilled water, with the heater on high, until it ran clear.

Not what I had hoped, but I guess it got the job done.