Author Topic: DC Fab Tacoma. gotrocks TACO LIBRE *Lots of updates 2-18-08*  (Read 18330 times)

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,206
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
Re: DC Fab Tacoma. gotrocks TACO LIBRE
« Reply #60 on: Jan 13, 2008, 02:38:24 PM »
Question 1
C. Bob and put in a bed cage.

Question 2
C. Link the front with a Dana 60 (most likely my buggy axle since I'm having issues with the buggy and build a replacement later)

Question 3
D. Paint it gunmetal gray

Question 4
A. Build an interior cage

Question 5
B. Leave it stock and possibly put a Double Cab body on it down the road.

^ my answers... forgot to cut out of the quote

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
« Reply #61 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:18:59 PM »
Other-How bout locked f/r dana 60's, linked all around with coilovers, bobed bed, internal cage that ties into the bed cage and possibly front cage, sliders, kick ass front bumper. slight fender trimming, either the blue with the metalic grey accents or solid metallic grey, how bout camo blue, black or metalic grey, and white or silver lol, and 42s of corse. Keep the xcab cause youll build the runner for a family rig in the future. Mmm ya that bout sums it up.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1187
  • Male Posts: 4,884
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
Re: DC Fab Tacoma. (aka mrs. gotrocks Tacoma)
« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:08:35 AM »
Question 1
A. Bob the bed
B. Leave it stock
C. Bob and put in a bed cage.
D. Stock with bed cage

Question 2
A. Link the front with Coilovers on my "stock" 85 toyota axle(my design) and sell the front leaf springs
B. Leave the Marlin 4" springs on (brand new by the way)
C. Link the front with a Dana 60 (most likely my buggy axle since I'm having issues with the buggy and build a replacement later)
D. Link the front with a Diamond axle with my "stock" innards (and new inner shafts to match length)

Question 3
A. Paint it WRX Blue
B. Leave it white
D. Paint it gunmetal gray

Question 4
A. Build an interior cage
B. Leave out the cage

Question 5
A. Shorten the frame and front of bed (and a bob of course) because its Hella long (130" wheelbase right now)
B. Leave it stock and possibly put a Double Cab body on it down the road.

(1) Bob the bed, it's a sure-fire great mod.

(2) Run the Marlin Springs

(3) Leave it white, color has no function.

(4) Get it wheeling before considering a cage, make it a future project.

(5) Don't touch the frame.

In my opinion, you let your projects get the best of you and greatly reduce the amount of quality wheeling you get to do.  Keep the buggy in running order for the crazy stuff and built the Tacoma to match my runner.  Sometimes less is more.  You don't need to display all of your skills on everything you build.

:twocents:

:psss: I remember you saying recently that you like the choices that I made on the bdrunner build.

Follow this motto: KISS
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,367
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
« Reply #63 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:10:05 AM »
Ditto

KISS
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • My Page
« Reply #64 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
I would...

- Bob the bed, or trim the bottom of the bedsides off from the wheels back, Marlin style.  I'm also a fan of the double-cab swap, but if you bob now, and then cab-swap, there may well be only be two feet of bed left.  Photochop this before cutting metal if you like the double cab.
- Go with a kinda low/half cage.  Think light but protective for tree-tag, or those times when sliders just aren't quite enough; 4130 anyone?  Tie the sliders to bumpers or something(?).  With some creativity, this could look cool.
- Definitely link the front with a diamond and your spare toyota axle parts.  Must demonstrate enviable Fab-Fu skills!
- I like blue.  Grey as the second. 
- A great truck for the in-cab cage, but I might hold out for the double cab again.  I would want the protection in an emergency, but would have no intention of ever using it.  Overall, I think it's a good statement that the truck is serious about wheelin, but not intendid to be a buggy.

Since you had/will have a buggy, how about an adventure/expedition mentality for this truck, where the vehicle must conquer tough terrain whithout problems, but can still roll down the highway with comfort.

It would seem the level of build is in question, and I think tire size is a great guide to answer that question.  I'd put it right in the 35-37 range to accomplish these goals.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
« Reply #65 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »
An in-cab cage is obvously an added safety feature, but I have never been that concerned about surviving a "slow" roll in either my pickup or 4Runner.  I think the almost all situations offroad can be managed to avoid a serious roll and very few people justify installing a cage for highway driving in off road rigs.  It's a lot of work to install when you should be taking the buggy when you are not willing to be a little bit conservative.

If you were to swap out the cab, you spent a lot of money for a frame and drivetrain.  I don't think you will ever have a rig that you consider your "final" rig because you love building them too much so I wouldn't try to transform each one into the perfect rig.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
« Reply #66 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
An in-cab cage is obvously an added safety feature, but I have never been that concerned about surviving a "slow" roll

I wasnt either till I saw how bad they can go at times, now  if you can afford it I think its the way to go!!

WILLYNILLY

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
« Reply #67 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
i want to get one eventually once i have the scrilla to pay for it

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
« Reply #68 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »
scrilla

Is that something you fish for? 

WILLYNILLY

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
« Reply #69 on: Jan 14, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »
money... i guess its part of that 7 year gap thing

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:19:06 PM »
I have decided what I am going to do with the Tacoma.

I do appreciate your input and have decided to tone down this build a little.  Just as bd and others said earlier I don't need to build this to the extreme.  I just get really excited when I start building something and always want to build it bigger and better.  The whole point of this truck is to make it more expedition style not hard core.  I do have the buggy and even though I get very discussed with it breaking every stinking time I go out.  I need to build this much milder.  I have the parts right at this moment to make it a very capable wheeler and hope to have it running soon.  My 4Runner will get the complete overhaul that I was toying with on this one and the 4Runner will ultimately fit the need that I wanted. 

I believe this will be the final specs (at least right now) with minor alterations possibly. 

-Bobbed bed
-4" Marlin springs with stock 85 housing
-ultimate crawler with 4.7 cromo gears
-Hydro assist
-129" wheelbase (check and confirmed)
-35 Toyo MT's for the street and 37 Toyo MT for the snow and some Rocks
-Tacoma Rear axle gusseted (future ARB) oh and with 5.29's
-Marlin Rear 4" springs
-Bilsteins f/r
-DC built bumpers and sliders
-Rock Lights
-Warn 9000 lb with synthetic line

Here are future upgrades
-INTERIOR CAGE.  I am set on having an interior cage soon because my friends dad just died 4wheeling and he was extremely experienced and could've lived if he had been properly secured (wasn't wearing his seatbelt).  I don't care if this is my mild wheeler my safety/life and my wife or whoever is with me is not going to be compromised by ignorance or pride.

-Chopped lower bed.  I'm still a little hesitant about this but its a possibility.
-Possible bed cage but probably not
-Maybe diamond housings someday but not in the near future.  I'll probably sell this before that happens
-Possibly a Header and Intake

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:23:05 PM »
Oh yeah screw the KISS moto.  This aint your granpa's Buick.  Its still wheeling and stock won't ever keep up with some mods.  Just had to throw that in there.

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
« Reply #72 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:17:23 PM »
KISS- Keep It Sick Stupid

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:54:43 PM »
KISS- Keep It Sick Stupid

ok I like that a lot better

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
« Reply #74 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »
LOL thats good!!

WILLYNILLY

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,176
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:07:54 AM »
looks like a good project

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
« Reply #76 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:59:55 PM »
ok I like that a lot better

Just some friendly encouragement lol. When ever you look at the taco just think of the Macho Taco for inspiration and link it instead haha. Let me know when your tcase stuff gets in.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -442
  • Male Posts: 4,824
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Jeepin North Idaho
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #77 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:09:30 AM »
any progress?
1996 Jeep ZJ Laredo Daily/Weekend Wheeler
5.2L V8, 44RE, NP249, 33X12.50R15s on MT Classics, 5.5in Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path F/R

Trailer Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=103261

2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi Wife's Daily

Instagram @ taytershubby13

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 17, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »
any progress?

No sorry non yet.  School limits my time quite a bit and right now, and my shop has been occupied by a buddy who needed to paint his civic.  My shop is the only place he could find that was warm enough and so the stove has been going for 2 days straight now.  I just walked in there a couple minutes ago and it was 80 degrees.  Its only been in the low 40's here and as low as 20 outside but the shop hasn't dropped below 74 the whole time. 

Check back on Sunday night for updates.  The front is in its final location and I'm just making up the inner bracing for the shackle mount.  The frame goes wide just where the shackle needs to be and so I have to make some good bracing for the mount.  I think only about 2 total square inches is touching the bottom of the frame.  I don't know how other guys are building their shackle mounts but the stock toyota spring width is a bit narrow for the tacoma.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 862
  • Member since Aug '07
« Reply #79 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:00:42 PM »
Ditto with what Diamond said.  Well, other than the tubing.  You want plates and sliders on it at least.  Full exo isn't usually needed - even a 2.5-3 inch tube along the roof behind your head is all you need to save your bacon.

Just accept that the stock bed will get trashed eventually.  I'd use it until it wears out - and then replace it with a short bed/cage/truggy back end/whatnot.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
oh I was never planning on a exo.  A bed cage at the most but not an exo.  Only interior cage

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #81 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:18:13 PM »
Update time

Today I got the rear springs all mounted up and got the front spring hangers about 90% done.  I was so happy to see that the rear spring mounts were able to stay in their stock location and just bolt in the lift springs  I'm not use to bolt in stuff.  The stock chain drive t/case is pulled and the inchworm adapter is just sitting in place for the moment.

As you can see the rear shackle mount shouldn't move now.  I plan on boxing in the rest of that mount but its structurally sound until I cut up the rest.

The inchworm adapter has a 10* clocking adjustment choice.  I will try to get the cases clocked but I have to check my driveline angle first.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #82 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »
Its sitting on its own weight right now.  The 37's look small but I only plan on using those on the street.  I actually mounted my 39 Krawlers and they fit.  So if I do take this in the rocks I might throw those on. 

Right now the frame is a little bit taller than I would like it but the front springs have not settled yet and once the bumper sliders winch etc get mounted it should come down some.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #83 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »
Here's a couple lame flex shots.  I really just wanted to see how the tires were going to clear the firewall.

I really hope those springs flex better when its all done.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,176
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
 :bowdown:sweet and its nice to c some progress and some pics.  :yesnod:It looks good :thumbs:. Nice flex shots.... cant wait to c some wheelin :driving: pics!!!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »
Thanks.  I can't wait to get this done.  I want to get out and wheel.  Its been snowing today and I want to head up to the snow so bad right now.  Hopefully it will be drivable in about a week or 2.

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
« Reply #86 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »
ah you know it just takes time for the springs to get worked before they get super flexy... looks really good btw :thumbs:

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
« Reply #87 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:56:38 AM »
ah you know it just takes time for the springs to get worked before they get super flexy... looks really good btw :thumbs:
  A set of revolving shackles could help that too!!  LOL

WILLYNILLY

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
« Reply #88 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »
  A set of revolving shackles could help that too!!  LOL

:nope:

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 21, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
:nope:

x2

No revolving shackles ever on any of my rigs.  I will link it before those go on.