Author Topic: Best Sport Quad/ATV  (Read 2715 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Best Sport Quad/ATV
« on: Oct 12, 2007, 04:31:55 PM »
What does everybody think the best sport quad is? new 2007 models. I kinda like the Oulaw with IRS. (funny that we want the thing we hate on trucks, for our quads (IFS and IRS) 11 inches of clearance. what yur opinions?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

toyotaexo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 286
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling ON 1 TONS
    • View Profile
Re: Best Sport Quad/ATV
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:26:18 PM »
suzuki ltr by far

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »
The Outlaw is supposed to be nice with the 525 but the tranny is a bit choppy from what I've heard.
The 08' LTR is supposed to be a lot better than last year and most of the complaints by riders were addressed.
The honda and Yamaha 450s are both awesome bikes an continue to do well all around.
The Raptor is pretty nice with the injection.
And the Kawi 450 is good but some think the suspension is a bit soft.
KTM is going to have 2 offerings in 08' and they should both be sick bikes.

I say figure out what you want from the quad (moto, cross country, trails, injection, reverse, etc. ) then see which fits the bill. If you can ride them do it. If not at least throw a leg over them and see what's comfortable.
"between projects"

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »
I would give Polaris and KTM a year or so to fix issues in there new line of ATVs before I ever bought one.  If you really want something to ride now, get a Honda 450 or the Suzuki 450.  I love my '04 honda trx450 and have had 0 problems with it.  I love the new Suzuki ltz 450 too, but have not had a chance to ride one.  The Yamaha 450 is set up for more of a track bike - steering is really twitchy and the suspension is too stiff for me and I've done a side by side comparison between it and my Honda.  Just my  :twocents:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2007, 10:17:20 PM »
yea forgot to say it would be a trail bike mostly. maybe some dune action ocasionly.

BUDDERS: have you had any problems with the low clearance of the rear axle? seems pretty low with 4.5in of clearance. where i ride there are a few (ok a :pokinit: load) of rocks that might not be low-clearance friendly.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »
yea forgot to say it would be a trail bike mostly. maybe some dune action ocasionly.

BUDDERS: have you had any problems with the low clearance of the rear axle? seems pretty low with 4.5in of clearance. where i ride there are a few (ok a :pokinit: load) of rocks that might not be low-clearance friendly.

I ride trails,  really rocky trails that I have no business being on with a quad, and sand.  I have hit my swingarm skid plate a few times in the rocks, enought to crack the stock plastic skidplate, so I installd a thick aluminum one.  The last time I went riding was in the rocks, and yes it hit a few times, but I really try to go over the obstacles with the tires and not the skidplates.

I don't know if it's my mountainbike background or what, but I have kicked the but of many a 4x4 quad in the rocks with my 2x4 thonda trx  450 and i've only got 3 years of riding experience on this thing.  On second thought  :idea: , it probably helps that it is not as top heavy.  In the rocks, it's more like rock hopping rather than rock crawling.  I've launched off 4 foot ledges just to slam on the brakes to not fall of the next one.  I'm speaking of an area that is primarily used for trials bikes.  Not the most fun thing to do on that quad, but when you're lost, it's amazing what you will do to get back to camp and suprisingly, the quad only got a little rock rash on the wheels and some scrapes from trees on the plastic.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »
everyone praises these Suzuki LTR's.. but all I can say is S-L-O-W.

My buddy is huge into quads and has a Honda 450 that he's dumped close to $20k into.

I rode his quad when it was stock and after the exhaust, intake, carb rejet and a few other misc things were done.. that thing is stupid fast.

now he's done the big bore kit on the engine and I don't even trust myself sitting on it.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2007, 09:19:01 PM »
Yeah, I put a exhaust, filter and re-jetted the carb on my honda.  It has more than enough power for me and I weigh 180lbs.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2007, 09:31:37 PM »
yea im not too worried about rock rash, or the plastics. i just need something reliable. ive been known to get stupid sometimes, so a low center of gravity with lots of axle clearance would be optimum. utility quads are too dam heavy. you get stuck and you cant reposition them at alol. example: my dad has a polaris 500 4x4, it weighs 725lbs, dry, i got stuck in snow ( the horrible thick slushy crap) couldnt move the dam thing at all. spent 2 hours trying to scopp it out with my hands. and it was too heavy to be towed out with the other quad i was with.

sport quads float a little better and go a lot faster. and weigh a LOT less. only problem with some of the race quads is no reverse. its a pregnant dog to turn a quad around using the grab bar.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2007, 09:48:17 PM »
yea im not too worried about rock rash, or the plastics. i just need something reliable. ive been known to get stupid sometimes, so a low center of gravity with lots of axle clearance would be optimum. utility quads are too dam heavy. you get stuck and you cant reposition them at alol. example: my dad has a polaris 500 4x4, it weighs 725lbs, dry, i got stuck in snow ( the horrible thick slushy crap) couldnt move the dam thing at all. spent 2 hours trying to scopp it out with my hands. and it was too heavy to be towed out with the other quad i was with.

sport quads float a little better and go a lot faster. and weigh a LOT less. only problem with some of the race quads is no reverse. its a pregnant dog to turn a quad around using the grab bar.

Yeah, but it helps build muscles.  Eat your Wheaties, then go riding - that's my motto

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2007, 10:08:08 PM »
yea i kinda like the look of sport quads a lot better. utility are nice for haulin :pokinit: but other than that. and fender protection. i d rather have a sport. my parents bought my last quad and its a 250 utility. slow :thumdown: . my dad said i outgrew it faster htan he thiught i would. i learned to ride like a madman and the quad doesnt like to keep its wheels on the ground. ive flipped it somewhere around five times. and its got the POS CVT tranny. weak as pooopy.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
IMO, utility quads are good for ranchers and hunters and that's about it - and maybe for the guys at the junk yards for dragging crap around. ::)

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2007, 10:23:15 PM »
yup. anyone heard anything bout the new kawi 450?

Steve97TJ

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2007, 12:37:57 AM »
Im sure its just like the suzuki 450. The suzuki and kawasaki 400s were the same quad just different stickers/colors IIRC
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »
i heard it was gonna be the best set up for trail use. plus its got reverse. which for any trail is definitely nice.