Author Topic: need opinions on tires  (Read 3085 times)

83crawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
need opinions on tires
« on: Oct 08, 2007, 09:49:13 PM »
To anyone who has run supper swamper boggers. At the end of October I plan purchasing a set of tires for my truck. It is a 83 toy 4x4, I planned on getting a set of all terrains for it. Something like a BFG KA or Toyo At. I have had good luck with les Schwab tires in the wild country line up ( TXR's, RVT's ). But a good friend of mine highly recamends trying a set of boggers, he swears by them. So I'm asking to anyone who has run them. How did they perform? On what kind of terrain did you use them on? What size did you run?

So you know I will be primarily driving on loose dirt, some mud , wet and dry rock.
83 toy 5 inch. under coating . bed lined. . soon to be 150 hp running engine, custom interior.

dime

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 159
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: need opinions on tires
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »
um ive never run them but if you were thinking allterrains then i would think a bogger is gonna be alittle to extreme. i could be wrong though
84 pu 529s locker in back 5 inch springs 36s

dma251

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2007, 05:02:51 PM »
Boggers ROCK!!!!       They are without a doubt the best tires you coulod be thinking about running...     They are the ONLY tire you should be thinking about running in the PNW trails.   

Putting Boggers on your truck will not only let you take on the worst trails in Walker Valley with style - they will help you get LAID!    (No woman could say no to a guy running Boggers!)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2007, 06:23:06 PM »
Boggers are great tires for places with a lot of goo and mud and they do good anywhere else but if your truck sees a lot of pavement or is a daily driver I would advise against them. On the street and freeway they are going to wear really fast. If its a trailer truck or only drives to the trail and back then hell yeah, you wont be dissapointed. Goodyear MTRs, Toyos and BFG AT/MT are better choices for a daily driver truck.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2007, 07:01:10 PM »
go with the toyos
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2007, 08:13:33 PM »
toyo mud terrain!!! they last longer than the all terrain. Better tire all the way around! traction, same road noise, and more miles. but thats my  :twocents:
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2007, 11:20:49 PM »
toyo mud terrain!!! they last longer than the all terrain. Better tire all the way around! traction, same road noise, and more miles. but thats my  :twocents:

Yeah the Toyo mud terrain is an awesome tire.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Mistaken

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Oct '07
  • i like lights
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »
i have mastercraft MT's on my truck that replaced the mastercraft AT's. they have a slight hum on the pavement, but nothing that can't be drowned out by your exhaust or radio. they clean really well in the mud, i havn't tested the real sticky stuff yet. they are also soft enough for rock crawling and grip very well. i hooked the truck to a stump and pulled it out with minimal tire spin and fully aired up. i have yet to test them in the snow, but was told they don't run well in it. hope this has helped you.
1997 gmc sierra short box 4x4
33"mastercraft MT's
cat back duals

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:48:11 PM »
I run bridgestone dueler m/ts. They do well in mud, last long on the street, and are a blast in unpacked snow. They suck on packed snow and ice. very scary, but any tire with no sipes will be :yikes:. All in all they are a great DD tire. One of my mom's freinds has boggers on his truck, and they only lasted 6 months on the street. Mine have lasted a year, and are just now starting to wear. They are a great all around trail/street tire. Tell us what you pick!

83crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2007, 09:40:47 PM »
Well I've been looking at the new Wild country XTX's They have a a five rib tread and are very blocky with many grabbing edges and a lot of sipping. I think they would be a great snow tire which is what I really disire right now and after winter is over they would be a good all round application you know       ( loose dirt, light mud, and wet and dry rock) which I what I will be using them on. If any of you guys want to see them for your self just go to your local Les Schwab Tire store and check them out then let me know what you think, and I believe they have been out for around a month or so
83 toy 5 inch. under coating . bed lined. . soon to be 150 hp running engine, custom interior.

dma251

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2007, 05:47:40 AM »
You need to decide how you are gonna use your truck.    If it's your daily driver then I would definitely go with a streetable tire, but if you have a regular daily driver, like say a clapped-out old 87 Honda Accord, then why not go for the most bad-assed tire you can get your hands on/afford?   By the time the Boggers wear out there'll be some new-fangled gotta-have-it tire out there you're dying to buy/try anyway...   

If you buy the Boggers in 15" if you don't like them I'll help take them off your hands.    They might just be a bit to MANLY for you and that truck.... :beerchug:

83crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
Damon shut the F#@$ up and get off of my dam thread. And take your opinions where someone else will listen.LOL

Ruari

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2007, 02:53:04 PM »
I just got a set of BFG Krawlers and I am very impressed with their performance on the 'Con. and Barrett.
Ruari Legg

'84 X-TRA cab, 5.29 Front F-J80 high pinion e-locker/5.29 rear Tacoma e-locker, R.O.R.E. e-locker skid plates, MC dual t-case #480, MC 4.70 gears #1755, Budbuilt crossmember, MC crossover steering, Howe hydro-assist steering, Alcan springs with Orbit Eyes, FRORF full floater, TRD cam, LC Engineering adjustable cam gear, distributer, solid steel engine mounts, longfields, 35"x13.5 BFG Krawlers.

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2007, 02:03:04 AM »
Damon shut the F#@$ up and get off of my dam thread. And take your opinions where someone else will listen.LOL

was about to chime in and say something.  but then i read this.  go introduce yourself in the new members forum so we can all know your age cuz you must be like 15 or 16. (id say younger but you seem to be able to drive)

Ive been looking at BFG M/Ts.  i don't care for A/T that much.  But after seeing those Bridgestones, ve had good luck with them on my dodge, besides the tire coming off my truck, rim and all, I've been pleased with the brand and i think i might try those next.
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »
boggers are great for offroad but that are really loud for on street driving. for an all aroung good set i would pic would be a bfg mt they have a little hum on the road but that are and all around performer
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2007, 11:55:41 AM »
My personal opinion is that having boggers for most people, not all, is more about "bling" and "mines bigger than yours" that acutal functional need.  They were designed for deep mud and in that environment will out perform just about anything.  They are a horrible choice for any rig that gets driven on the pavement, I have never seen a set that didn't wear poorly and you can hear them two states away.

It looks like you are from Washington and the best performing tire I have been around in these parts was a siped Toyo Open Country M/T.  On a snow run to Evans Creek I was running 33 inch BFG muds with about 5 psi on my 85 Toy with lockers front and rear and had very little success in the snow.  There was one particular hill that everyone was using a winch on, the rigs included many of the popular tires, including boggers, on the market on well equiped rigs.  The ONLY rig that managed to climb the hill without an assist was gotrocks in his 88 4Runner on 37 inch Toyo Open Country M/Ts that were about 5 psi and siped.  Not only did he climb the hill on the two possible routes, he drug my truck up the hill on his 4th trip up.  He now has a buggy and when we were snow wheeling last winter he ended up taking off his boggers and running the Toyo's because the performance was so much better overall.  The boggers lack traction side-to-side and he didn't have enough control.  The bottom line is if you enjoy snow wheeling, the bogger isn't a great choice and the mud that I have seen in Washington isn't generally deep enough to warrant the bogger.

Don't get me wrong, boggers are sweet tires  :yesnod:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »
TSL's are fun, boggers are a tad much IMHO

I like my MTR's and I have tried a ton but if you don't mind sounding like a helicoptor get some swampers.
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2007, 09:27:19 PM »
if you have the power to clean them there a damned good tire but they do take some effort with the right foot to clean them out and they dont have very good lateral traction (but a hot knife can fix that) and they dont float very well in deep snow they tend to dig

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2007, 06:23:12 PM »
anybrand M/T's
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

83crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »
Awesome info and opinions guys think I'm gonna go with the All AT's I've been eyeing. So you know Trout OF Death I'm of age enough to have a beer (legally) and if you're referring to DMA251 he's a friend who's much  older them me but still acts like a 16 year old

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »
IMO, the best tires are the BFG Mud Terrain 2.  These came out *last month* and are crazy.  Total re-design of the original MTs. 

All-terrains are basically truck versions of a typical car's all-season tires.  You want MTs or better if you're running around in any place that's even slightly muddy.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007, 03:59:34 PM by Plekto »

Ruari

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »
I ran BFG MT's for 12 years and loved them in the snow, mud, and on the rocks.  Ice was not so much fun with them though.  This year I am trying BFG MT KM's siped in the snow on my Taco.
Ruari Legg

'84 X-TRA cab, 5.29 Front F-J80 high pinion e-locker/5.29 rear Tacoma e-locker, R.O.R.E. e-locker skid plates, MC dual t-case #480, MC 4.70 gears #1755, Budbuilt crossmember, MC crossover steering, Howe hydro-assist steering, Alcan springs with Orbit Eyes, FRORF full floater, TRD cam, LC Engineering adjustable cam gear, distributer, solid steel engine mounts, longfields, 35"x13.5 BFG Krawlers.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2007, 04:32:10 PM »
I ran BFG MT's for 12 years and loved them in the snow, mud, and on the rocks.  Ice was not so much fun with them though.  This year I am trying BFG MT KM's siped in the snow on my Taco.

The KM's are essentially the same as the original other than the side lugs, but the siping will help a lot on snow and ice.  That's what I'm running.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved