Author Topic: Optical Illusion, Things an IFS Shouldn't Be Able To Do  (Read 21290 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club

:yesnod: X2............................I couldn't have said it better........................Bottom line = common sense = LEARN TO DRIVE :driving:

:twocents:

Worthy truck RS ............ :usa:

No argument here, I've seen some real knuckle-heads try to drive built rigs and can't punch their way out of a paper bag let alone pick the right line on a trail.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Went to Big Bear and did the Bull and Gold Mtn. did more stuff my truck shouldn't be able to do. I did take a strap once on the Bull but only to save time since there were several groups behind us and we'd already held up the show with a roll. The power steering I installed sure made a difference, my wrist didn't get twisted even once. Maybe by our next run I'll have a rear locker.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Well you know what all those FJ Cruiser ads are saying...... IFS is FAAAAAAAAAR better for Rock Crawling than live axle.

YEAH RIGHT TOYOTA! GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE GET A CLUE. If that is true then how many IFS do you see in professional rock crawling? HA!

Nice pics though :gap:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Awww come awn Mikey you gonna scare away all those IFS newbies that learn later that there is a limit to what an IFS can do.

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
why shouldnt ifs be able to do that? those spots dont look to difficult for ifs. i use to wheel spots like that all the time back when i had mine. when are you sas'ing it.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Those were the easy sections, I had to get out and take most of those myself. On the hard sections you'd be lucky to get a good shot since I keep it moving and I'm not about to stop and get a shot myself. The point here is not really things an IFS can't do it's what it can do.

SAS what's that?  :headscratch:

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8630
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
I wheeled my 90 with IFS for almost 4 years until the front was so bent up it wouldn't work anymore. Then I went with the solid front axle because it would have taken just as much work to create all new mounts for the front IFS diff. They were pretty much pretzeled by the time I dumped the IFS. There were very few places I couldn't go that others I wheeled with went. 3 wheeling looks great for the camera, #1 advantage of IFS :greengrin:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
i wheeled the crap out of my old 86 turbo truck, till i blew up the front ring and pinyon, then i built a solid axle truck

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Rs I'm with u on the ifs thing i have scared alot of people as well as myself in an ifs truck... If u wheel with 32s or smaller u learn alot about more about picking your lines rather then just walking over anything in your path.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

brandon95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 193
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
I have a stock 1989 toyota ext cab that is on 32"s open front/rear, and i have wheeled the  :pokinit: out of this thing. Like the others B4 me said it teaches u to use your head and pick the right line. and it feels great when some one tells you that you cannot make it and you prove them wrong and keep up with built rigs in a stocker.

And who doesnt like 3 wheelin? my frend has a picture of me and him standin under(im 6" tall) the back of my truck when i was going threw on off camber section.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Yeah the 1st time I took an IFS truck to the 'con I was met with laughter at the gate keeper by a group coming the other direction, "ooooh body damage" was there tort, they shut up when I walked right over without even pausing or having to adjust my line. They did love the 3 wheel show though.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I love getting into a 3 wheel position and getting it all balanced.  That you lean out the door you can get the truck to rock back and forth on two tires!  I love the looks on peoples faces when I do that!  :thumbs:

I think it makes you a better wheeler, then you get a sas and you enter a whole another world of wheeling!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Then I went with the solid front axle

We dont use that word in this thread   :nonono:

:headshake:

:gap:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
I love getting into a 3 wheel position and getting it all balanced.  That you lean out the door you can get the truck to rock back and forth on two tires!  I love the looks on peoples faces when I do that!  :thumbs:

I do do that with my solid axle truck it just takes bigger rocks.  :sly:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Econowheeler was at it again this weekend going places and doing things it shouldn't even think of. Not only did we do Odessa, but we tackled Doran too. Here's a few pics of the event.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
More....

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
looks pretty steep.

still rockin the AZ plates, huh?

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Yup, they'll have to pry those out of my cold dead fingers to get me to change those.

solidmaui78

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
IFS can do that all day long... whats the illusion??? Ive wheeled my toy with ifs for years with a bunch of solid toys and it its by far way weaker and not as fun as the SAS ive done on my 94 toyota youd be left way behind.. But I did have tons of fun with my IFS and impressed lots of people on the trail, who swear by solid axle set ups
What ever makes you :)  its all FUN!!!:) 
gotta love those yotas! 

beyondlogic

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 132
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
    • Bayou State Land Crusiers
how does that front lift effect your balljoints?  im thinking of leaving mine IFS but would put a lift later just want to gather all info i can on the IFS lift.
89 3.0 5spd reg cab sht bed pickup, 33x12.5x15 mudrovers, open f & r, custom rear bumper and sliders, IFS Front, 3" BL.

www.bslca.com
http://forum.ih8mud.com/la-bayou-state-land-cruisers/215649-truck-work.html

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
IFS can do that all day long... whats the illusion??? Ive wheeled my toy with ifs for years with a bunch of solid toys and it its by far way weaker and not as fun as the SAS ive done on my 94 toyota youd be left way behind.. But I did have tons of fun with my IFS and impressed lots of people on the trail, who swear by solid axle set ups
gotta love those yotas! 

You just don't get the point of this thread. If you knew my past with IFS and where I've taken them you may just retract that statement, sure I may not take that crazy line that some people do but I would not have taken that line even if I did have a front straight axle. I have had straight axle rigs too and sure you have a bunch more travel but I've never even done a cross over conversion on those which also limits travel. The point of this thread and others I've posted is to not scare people with IFS rigs from building them and wheeling them. Contrary to popular info it does cost more to convert IFS to SAS if you can't do it yourself and that will scare someone new to wheeling right out of the market. Most people can figure out how to do an IFS lift but to do a conversion requires some major mods that the average person may not be able to tackle.

how does that front lift effect your balljoints?  im thinking of leaving mine IFS but would put a lift later just want to gather all info i can on the IFS lift.

I see you understand it though.

The lift I have doesn't effect them at all, it is a 4 inch Pro-Comp with some little extra tricks to increase travel just a bit. I have never had any balljoint issues except for normal wear and tear. This truck has over 200,000 on it with the original frontend except for rebuilding the upper a-arms last winter. Currently I think it's time to do the axle mounts since it is starting to move a bit but other than that it's fine.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2008, 08:55:34 AM by Rocksurfer »

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Oh, and most of the trails on this thread are no piece of cake. They are tough even for straight axle rigs. Pictures never do trails justice.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
You don't really want to get in a debate over this with me, you will never win. Just ask a few of my club members, I'm pretty passionate about it. In fact I lifted less last weekend than most of the rigs I was with. Just take a gander at this thread and see. I understand the plus' and minus' but I still can keep my tires on the ground longer than short wb rigs in most situations.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49977.0

beyondlogic

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 132
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
    • Bayou State Land Crusiers
yeah i don't have money or time, although since i work for a fabrication company and my dad works for a machine shop, i do have ability(just a statement, surfer, i didnt take offense to what you said).  i don't have a need for SAS.  i live in south Louisiana so we don't have rock trails like ya'll do, and IFS will go where ever i decide to travel.  but i do need to clear a little larger tires. currently running 33's and i want to run 35's.  also since mine is a DD i love having the IFS for road handling especially on our bumpy back road that i travel.  
89 3.0 5spd reg cab sht bed pickup, 33x12.5x15 mudrovers, open f & r, custom rear bumper and sliders, IFS Front, 3" BL.

www.bslca.com
http://forum.ih8mud.com/la-bayou-state-land-cruisers/215649-truck-work.html

kauai_fab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 45
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
guess you can call it a poor mans crawler

solidmaui78

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
poor thing  ;) dont get me wrong i like all toyotas... but haha dont get so sour. :beer:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
gotta love those yotas! 

The "optical illusion" is just a name derived from a picture he posted a while back where it looked like he had a bent shock but it was really straight, hence the name. I don't think RS is trying to prove IFS is better just showing it can keep up with a SA any day.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

solidmaui78

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
I saw the pic of the illusion !     have a :beer: on me :beerchug:  move on

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
:wave: no offense was ever taken, and I can't believe someone remembers where Optical Illusion came from. :rofl: I only defend peoples choice to build an IFS rig, I fully understand the advantages of an SAS and what it can do for someone. Sure I know there are obstacles that an IFS should avoid, but that doesn't mean it can't do the same trail just at a different angle. You may not be able to do that optional line in an IFS rig but it was optional anyways. Then there are those times that there is no option and you must and can do it IFS style. I call it 3 wheeling and anyone that has one knows what I'm talking about. Here's an example of what I'm talking about when it comes to short wb vs. an IFS Toyota, driving the same trail at almost the same angle my wb keeps my rig steady while a much better built swb rig lifted 3 ft. in the air.

solidmaui78

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
I like your truck :) Looks like it does a good job!  i wish my friend with a IFS 4runner would wheel it like that! hes too scared ill have to show him your pics he'll be stoked! Aloha Ricky heres another beer from me :beer: :beerchug: :wave: